Rule Question

David

Verified Member
From
South Carolina
If a player Shoots four balls into his opponents pocket and then is told that he is shooting into the wrong pocket what is the ruling.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
David said:
If a player Shoots four balls into his opponents pocket and then is told that he is shooting into the wrong pocket what is the ruling.
According to the Onepocket.org "Official" rules, this is what happens:

11.2 In the event that a player shooting into the wrong pocket is permitted to continue the same inning at the table (beyond what is entitled by legally pocketing a ball in their own pocket) by their opponent’s or the referee’s failure to notify them of their error, such failure of notification does not legitimize any additional balls pocketed in that inning, whether pocketed in the shooter’s pocket or their opponent’s pocket. Thus the first shot to the wrong pocket in a given inning is the shooter’s responsibility, and the shooter’s opponent is entitled to any balls pocketed on that first stroke. However, any subsequently pocketed balls in the same inning are to be spotted as illegally pocketed balls, because it is the referee’s or opponent’s responsibility to notify the shooter before they erroneously continue their inning.

Complete rules are here:
http://www.onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm

beatle

Verified Member
bad rule. then when my opponent is sipping his pepsi and looking away i can hit in his hanger and another one or two near his hole, hook him and they get spotted

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
We always played if they let you keep shooting after the 1st. ball, then it's your pocket.
Rod. <---always pays attention when opponent is shooting.

David

Verified Member
From
South Carolina
Thanks

Thanks

I have heard both ways. Would love to know what the rest of you guys think. Could some one help me start a poll.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
David said:
I have heard both ways. Would love to know what the rest of you guys think. Could some one help me start a poll.

Well it's a slightly different scenario but my opponent and I once shot at the wrong pocket for 20 minutes one game. We were playing so good that neither one of us left the other a good shot and neither of us made a ball. That's the only time I've ever shot at the wrong pocket and not made a ball, usually I make at least one:) .

The only other time I shot at the wrong hole and made the ball was playing the "Pilot". As soon as I made (a great shot) the ball, he said "that's my pocket". I really don't know what to do in this situation but I just told SJD (after his 13th call) that I'm busy so I have to post something.

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
beatle said:
bad rule. then when my opponent is sipping his pepsi and looking away i can hit in his hanger and another one or two near his hole, hook him and they get spotted
If the rules are the other way, then why stop there? If you like the other guy's position better than yours, just wait 'til he turns his back and real quick run two or three into the other guy's hole -- now that's your pocket, right?

If you can come up with some rule alternatives to post in a poll, NH_Steve cannot do it, but the administrator can :D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
NH Steve said:
If you can come up with some rule alternatives to post in a poll, NH_Steve cannot do it, but the administrator can :D

Hey I thought you were all the same guy?????????????????

Steve, I think we all know or think we know how much work you do for this site. All we have to do is double our guesses and we might be close to the truth.

You run (very well) the best pool site on the web, bar none.

Dennis

David

Verified Member
From
South Carolina
?Grady?Billy?Beard?Ghost????????????????

?Grady?Billy?Beard?Ghost????????????????

Wow. Not sure wich one is right. (A) Spot balls on the spot or (B) After two balls that becomes your pocket. They both have things I don't like about them. I saw this in a match the other night and the better player was stealing anyway and just raked the balls and gave him that game. No reason to make your opponent angry if your robbing him. Any other ideas what to do?

beatle

Verified Member
how about the rule that i remember always was in effect. any ball that went into your hole you got.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
IMO

The RULES are to 'spot the balls'. The intention is to make a fair rule that neither player will benefit from the unintentional pocketing in your opponents pocket.

Matching up is a different story. Consequences can be and usually are very different.