Play The Player Or Play The Table????

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
I don't have near the experience of the other folks here, but..

I definitely try not to leave my opponents their 'pet' shots. I think that goes without saying.

If my opponent gets flustered easily, I'll try hooking them repeatedly before running out.

Or, if my opponent is shooting well, I'll also try to hook them repeatedly to take them out of rhythm.

Other than that, playing the table is the best way to go.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
act like this

act like this

When you stroll up to the table you mostly dont play anyway except your way.Kind of hard to be somebody else.Unless your one of those hustlers.Thank God nobody here is like that.Except mebbe that Chicago fella.......This here's a rifle outfit Pruett,nobody enjoys themselves before sundown........who said that for 50?.......give ya 3-1......and what kind of table was it?

beatle

Verified Member
i can only play as good as i can play. but on every single shot i shoot it, is geared toward how my opponent plays. if he cant make long shots that is where he is left. if he banks good he doesnt get them.
if he has lots of patience i keep the balls down table. or visa versa.

if he chalks alot i take the chalk off the table and put it somewhere else.

when ahead i send balls up table if i can out move him. if he out moves me or plays well up table i keep them down.

a player that has many games to lose i play faster as i can get in more games.
or i open the balls more so the games go quicker.

there is an infinite amount of changes to make to your game to help against each different kind of player.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
The table. 90 percent of the time anyway! But there are obvious contradictions to that when someone has a certain weakness or strength.

My rule is this-Don't think about it. Unless you are in your chair. And when your inning's over, go STRAIGHT to your chair. Where you can assess his CURRENT strengths and weaknesses as they transpire.

jwp

usblues said:
This here's a rifle outfit Pruett,nobody enjoys themselves before sundown........
......and what kind of table was it?
From Here to Eternity, said by Warden to Prewitt.
I don't remember whether it's the book or the movie, but since you ask about the kind of table I assume it was the movie, or maybe both. Burt Lancaster was Sgt Warden, and Montgomery Clift was Pvt Prewitt. James Jones didn't like the movie much. I haven't got a clue what kind of pool table it was.

onepocketchump

Verified Member
I play both. When you are playing you have to take everything into account and be able to make your choices almost unconsciously based on all the input you are getting. If you know your opponent well then you already know his game and what you can and can't do against him.

If you don't know him then you have two choices, play just your game and make the choices you think are right without regard to his skill. OR leave him certain shots to see how he handles them and what choices he makes. I am playing cheap then I will often do that to get a decent feel for what I can do with him.

I am betting high then I tighten up and try not to leave anything ever.

If the table is tough then I really play the table and focus on my execution and don't worry about his, I just play my game as if I am playing the ghost.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
onepocketchump said:
I play both. When you are playing you have to take everything into account and be able to make your choices almost unconsciously based on all the input you are getting. If you know your opponent well then you already know his game and what you can and can't do against him.

If you don't know him then you have two choices, play just your game and make the choices you think are right without regard to his skill. OR leave him certain shots to see how he handles them and what choices he makes. I am playing cheap then I will often do that to get a decent feel for what I can do with him.

I am betting high then I tighten up and try not to leave anything ever.

If the table is tough then I really play the table and focus on my execution and don't worry about his, I just play my game as if I am playing the ghost.

When you are in a serious match or money game thier is only one way too play.

You play too win.