You vs. Him #212

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Yeah Island,
That's a good game, and because I have a shoulder problem and can't be hitting the break hard anymore that game can work for me. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get my eyes to see those long, angled, cut shots again.

Still, that game does take the big break away from those young guns.

Tom

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Ten Ball Tournament

Ten Ball Tournament

Yeah Island,
That's a good game, and because I have a shoulder problem and can't be hitting the break hard anymore that game can work for me. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get my eyes to see those long, angled, cut shots again.

Still, that game does take the big break away from those young guns.

Tom

Oh yeah, haven't played in years and took Vidal to the hill in match play with the soft break/legal....dump whitey in the lower corner and give em the table back, and if I did make a shot, I still rolled out way better than he. Here's the key, the youngin's never get ''comfortable'' and don't settle in very well to this initial roll out game and they feel more pressure when they have to come up with a shot, BUT, they still have to deal with the cluster of balls that are toether in the break area EVERY RACK. Try it.....pretty neat. Since it was a qualifying event for the Barry Behrman event, we played by those tournament rules

THood

From
Westford, MA
Dr. Bill,
It is interesting you asked where I learned the game of One Pocket. I lived in MD. just outside Washington D.C. When I first stepped into the local pool room for the first time I was about sixteen and was as green as the grass on a golf course. I had the good fortune of having a good player teach me a few fundamentals and I went from there. The players in this room all played One Pocket far more than any other game. D.C. was a great One Pocket town from early on. There was Earl Shriver, Gracey, Strawberry, Jackie Robinson aka "the mailman" and so on and so on. The number of road players who came through town couldn't be counted. Many of them left broke.
Tom

The Mailman used to come into the Corner Pocket (I think that was the name of the place) on Gleibe Rd in Arlington from time to time and I must have played him 50 times in 5 years. He took my lunch money more than a few times and I don't think I ever did see his true speed.

(also) Tom

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
At the 2012 Tunica event, Ryan Stone looked 'em over closely and even got down to shoot the one-rail kick-bank on the 9 ball into the stack:

rs1.jpg

rs2.jpg

Maybe being on the T.V. table for the first time and this being his 1st shot of the 1st game made him change his mind. I know I liked the shot and I can't kick at all. He played a weak safety and left Mr. Daulton here:

r stones shot.jpg
rs leave.jpg
rs leave2.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
At the 2012 Tunica event, Ryan Stone looked 'em over closely and even got down to shoot the one-rail kick-bank on the 9 ball into the stack:

View attachment 7940

View attachment 7941

Maybe being on the T.V. table for the first time and this being his 1st shot of the 1st game made him change his mind. I know I liked the shot and I can't kick at all. He played a weak safety and left Mr. Daulton here:

View attachment 7942
View attachment 7943
View attachment 7944
I agree it was a weak safety allowing Daulton to see the 1ball to put him in a bigger trap. Daulton can shoot off the right side of the 1ball and position the cue ball above and near the rail of the opposite side pocket. From there Ryan will be hard pressed to come up with a good answer. Tip If you decide to play this safety move remember to position the cue ball above the side pocket, not under the side pocket. From under the side pocket you may leave a very inviting cross corner bank on the 8ball:eek: Something you may regret.

Kick banking the 9ball was a risky shot but very rewarding if executed right. Tom's shot on playing the double carom was a very good shot also, his shot allowed you to position the cue ball under the 9ball not allowing Ryan to see the 1ball. Also Tom's shot was very easy to execute with minimal risk.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Just to make it clear, I like Bill's reply to Ryan's shot best of all possible responses. This shot is easy to execute, has no risk, and puts Ryan right back in the boiling pot with fewer defensive options then he had in the previous situation.

But should Daulton wish to get fiesty there are a few aggressive shots to choose from.
1) Bank the one off the head rail back toward the eight and lag the cue ball up table trying to lay it near the second diamond on Ryan's side rail. You might be surprised at how often this shot can bring rain on an opponent. You just might scrape something in the hole and be off to the races.
2) Bank the fourteen back toward the two and roll the cue ball two rails back toward the stack. You don't want to leave the cue ball near the side rail. By getting the cue ball to rebound off the side rail and toward the stack you take away any effective view of the end rail.
3) Bank the duece back toward the lower half of the six with the intention of making the duece. Again roll the cue ball through and back toward the stack. It may be that none of these shot will work well for Daulton but then again any one of them may prove effective.

The point I am making is that Ryan's "do nothing" reply to the break offers up multiple choices for his opponent because he simply choose to stall and not challenge Daulton to play any defense. The idea should be if possible, to limit the responses for an opponent or remove threats when given the opportunity. Ryan had an opportunity to clear a couple dangerous balls from Daulton's pocket. Many here have offered a variety of valid responses. Ryan has given Shannon so many options that Shannon may become confused as to which shot is best to execute because there are so many potentially effective choices.

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Just to make it clear, I like Bill's reply to Ryan's shot best of all possible responses. This shot is easy to execute, has no risk, and puts Ryan right back in the boiling pot with fewer defensive options then he had in the previous situation.

But should Daulton wish to get fiesty there are a few aggressive shots to choose from.
1) Bank the one off the head rail back toward the eight and lag the cue ball up table trying to lay it near the second diamond on Ryan's side rail. You might be surprised at how often this shot can bring rain on an opponent. You just might scrape something in the hole and be off to the races.
2) Bank the fourteen back toward the two and roll the cue ball two rails back toward the stack. You don't want to leave the cue ball near the side rail. By getting the cue ball to rebound off the side rail and toward the stack you take away any effective view of the end rail.
3) Bank the duece back toward the lower half of the six with the intention of making the duece. Again roll the cue ball through and back toward the stack. It may be that none of these shot will work well for Daulton but then again any one of them may prove effective.

The point I am making is that Ryan's "do nothing" reply to the break offers up multiple choices for his opponent because he simply choose to stall and not challenge Daulton to play any defense. The idea should be if possible, to limit the responses for an opponent or remove threats when given the opportunity. Ryan had an opportunity to clear a couple dangerous balls from Daulton's pocket. Many here have offered a variety of valid responses. Ryan has given Shannon so many options that Shannon may become confused as to which shot is best to execute because there are so many potentially effective choices.

Tom

Of the 3 aggressive options that you pointed out the one that I like best is banking the 1ball back toward the 8ball. This option (providing you stay away from the scratch top right corner)offers you the ability to move balls closer to your pocket and at the same time leaves distance as an ally. The 2ball option is also a good one providing you are left with the right angle to follow through the 2ball then back toward the stack.If given the angle needed for this option it's the easiest to execute of the 3. However, if you happen to make a ball you most likely wont have a shot because you'll be stuck in the stack. But you should feel pretty good knowing that you hit the shot too good.lol The 14ball toward the 2ball looks to be a little too tough a hit to control both the 14ball and the cue ball, shooting over the 9ball makes this option a much more difficult one to execute. None the less all three options are very helpful in recognizing the ability we have in situations like this one. Thanks for your insight.:cool:

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Tom
Tom, all of the options you described are very good options, and you said it perfectly when you said that ....if you feel feisty...you can do ect.ect.ect. The difference in my choice as opposed to the other choices is that you know pretty much what you have and what your opponent will be looking at after you shoot.o:heh The forecast for this option should be very clear, making the decision process an easier one. Either you like it and shoot it, or you don't, and pass it. Plus like you pointed out the execution of the option is easy which assures you of...what you see is what you get.:D

Dr. Bill

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The 14ball toward the 2ball looks to be a little too tough a hit to control both the 14ball and the cue ball, shooting over the 9ball makes this option a much more difficult one to execute.

Dr. Bill

Shooting over the nine ball shouldn't be a problem, you need to strike down on the CB to turn this bank back. I would try a small amount of inside to make the CB go one rail past the six ball.

As good as he banks I think Daulton will shoot it here.
It's what I'd shoot here, no guess. ( but I'm a gofer) and don't play tourneys, I know it makes a difference. :)
Rod

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I just like nudging the one here and putting the cb over on Ryan's side rail in the spot Tom was speaking of. Main point is not to let him see that 9 for me. I know Shannon aint gonna do that, but that is what I like.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Tom, all of the options you described are very good options, and you said it perfectly when you said that ....if you feel feisty...you can do ect.ect.ect. The difference in my choice as opposed to the other choices is that you know pretty much what you have and what your opponent will be looking at after you shoot.o:heh The forecast for this option should be very clear, making the decision process an easier one. Either you like it and shoot it, or you don't, and pass it. Plus like you pointed out the execution of the option is easy which assures you of...what you see is what you get.:D

Dr. Bill

Yes Bill,
Your experience is showing again. Anytime you give your opponent multiple options you can bet a good player is going to take the option which works best for them at that point in time. That translates into comfort, which is the last thing you want you opponent to feel because it is a cinch you are going to be in deep doo doo.

The shot you pointed out is best IMO not only because it is easy to pull off and accomplishes the goal of traping your opponent, it can be done without any risk whatsoever.

There is no need to get fiesty here unless a more aggressive shot lays perfectly aligned and begs to be shot.

Tom