Wade Crane

JAM

Verified Member
Terry Ardeno said:
JAM,
The October 1985 edition of Billiards Digest has a very nice article on Wade Crane on pages 48-50. Lots of text, two smaller photos.

Let me know if you need any info. I have no idea on how to work a wei table or put anything on a wiki page, so you'll have to be the brains of the operation.

May he R.I.P.

THANK YOU, TERRY!

The three-paged article about Wade Crane was excellent. Wow! I cannot believe all the data that little article had. I am so appreciative, Terry, for you taking the time to photocopy that and mail it to me so quickly. You are the absolute BEST, bar none!

Please call on me if I can ever do you a favor in the future. It would be my pleasure. I mean that, Terry! :)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
A tip from Billy

A tip from Billy

I was reminiscing with my son Dino about Billy, when he asked me if I remembered the tip Billy gave me about shooting a ball down the long rail on a tough pocket table. It was at the Legends tourn at South Philly Billiards in the 90s. I was grumbling about the shot I missed that cost me a match on those triple shimmed pockets. His advice to me was that shooting a ball that is close to the long rail, down the rail into the pocket is a type of optical illusion, and most players favor the ball to the inside of the pocket, where the rail ends and the pocket begins. Many times you catch the long rail and the ball bobbles and hangs up. He said instead to aim to shoot it into the full opening instead; the best target being the opposing pocket facing. He said this was especially strong when playing on tight pocket tables, like we were faced with at that tourn.
Up until now I had completely forgotten what he had said. Amazingly, my son had never forgotten and reminded me.

With the best wishes from BJ and my son Dino
Beard

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Sorry to hear this terrible news! I haven't been to the site in over a week and to see this, losing another monster player.

I can't remember the tournament but it had to be in the late 80's and in Illinois.
St. Charles perhaps, Wade Crane was in the finals and I'm thinking his opponent may have been Buddy, Wade played almost perfect pool and was so focused.
I couldn't believe the concentration, I mean you could see it! He also sat back down in his chair after every inning never taking his eyes off the table.
Needless to say, he won that tournament against a very strong field and made me a fan for life.

RIP
Wade Crane

SJDinPHX

Suspended
philwelch said:
Sorry to hear this terrible news! I haven't been to the site in over a week and to see this, losing another monster player.

I can't remember the tournament but it had to be in the late 80's and in Illinois.
St. Charles perhaps, Wade Crane was in the finals and I'm thinking his opponent may have been Buddy, Wade played almost perfect pool and was so focused.
I couldn't believe the concentration, I mean you could see it! He also sat back down in his chair after every inning never taking his eyes off the table.
Needless to say, he won that tournament against a very strong field and made me a fan for life.

RIP
Wade Crane

I was privvy to a great story, about a Johnston City incident, that involves a prank that Wade/Billy played on U.J. Puckett. It could best be told by Ronnie Allen, (as only he could tell it) as he was one of the principles in the story...If RA makes it to DCC this year (which I'm sure he will) I will "force" him to tell it to the HOF banquet crowd at Wades "Action Award" induction.

U.J. was really hot, when he found out about it, and had it been anybody but Wade, I think they might have got bloodied up a bit... It truely shows the "prank" side of his personality, and why he was loved by all who knew him.

Is it too early yet Steve, to know who will be accepting the award for Wade ?

Last edited:

Ktown

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
I was privvy to a great story, about a Johnston City incident, that involves a prank that Wade/Billy played on U.J. Puckett. It could best be told by Ronnie Allen, (as only he could tell it) as he was one of the principles in the story...If RA makes it to DCC this year (which I'm sure he will) I will "force" him to tell it to the HOF banquet crowd at Wades "Action Award" induction.

U.J. was really hot, when he found out about it, and had it been anybody but Wade, I think they might have got bloodied up a bit... It truely shows the "prank" side of his personality, and why he was loved by all who knew him.

Is it too early yet Steve, to know who will be accepting the award for Wade ?
I don't know who will be accepting on his behalf but his ex-wife Diane and her and Wade's good friend Mary Kenniston will be making the trip for the ceremony.