CatFishBreath vs. S.Frost 2011 D.C.C.

John Brumback

Verified Member
I am up 2 to 1 out of playing him 3 times in the dcc onepocket, But I would not bet on me the next time:p CFB

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'd take a scratch and lag em up by the corner pocket giving him a long Very high risk combo to his hole.

Now 12:48 and five minutes later, after I've read all the posts, I still like it on the head rail. That bank on the three, too much distance with my only access at the top of cue ball, don't like it.

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
One Pocket is a really simple game. And for that reason, it's why it's the best pool game around. You can play it well when your young and well when you're older. Ok so I see two really good shots in this situation. One shot is to kick with a purpose between the 3 and the 7 and make sure you get the CB in deep close your opponents pocket. The other shot is to simply take a scratch by pushing the CB up to the corner pocket leaving the CB on the end rail. Let him shoot the tough combo. Don't worry he won't.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Brain and stroke

Brain and stroke

One Pocket is a really simple game.

That's what I said when an old-timer showed me how to play many moons ago. He was in his upper '60's and I was in my younger '20's, playing pretty sporty 9-ball and 8-ball. I lost every game for hours, cursing my luck that I NEVER got a shot, watching this old man playing old patterns with his old cue. I wasn't too long before I wisened up to the notion that this elegant game is largely based on intelligence and planning.

I don't know how others conceptualize it, but I think there are two main categories of skill in 1p - one is execution and the other is shot selection.

You must bring BOTH your brain and your stroke to be a good 1p player.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
That's what I said when an old-timer showed me how to play many moons ago. He was in his upper '60's and I was in my younger '20's, playing pretty sporty 9-ball and 8-ball. I lost every game for hours, cursing my luck that I NEVER got a shot, watching this old man playing old patterns with his old cue. I wasn't too long before I wisened up to the notion that this elegant game is largely based on intelligence and planning.

I don't know how others conceptualize it, but I think there are two main categories of skill in 1p - one is execution and the other is shot selection.

You must bring BOTH your brain and your stroke to be a good 1p player.

You forgot one item Owensboro ya gotta bank like your from KY :heh

bigshot

hi :)

I think the 10 was the better shot. I think that the speed for an all-out bank was a bit wily, but if you just played the cushion-carom of the 10 and into the 7, that's way easier. The 10 looks like it would be between the 2nd diamond and the side pocket so that its still covered up. What's more is that you move that damned 7, probably down to the bottom rail on the 5, and leave the 11 vulnerable and bankable. If he comes off the 5-7 into the stack, he'll probably leave a trap somehow underneath or behind the 5-7 that you can kick into and get out of the break.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
You forgot one item Owensboro ya gotta bank like your from KY :heh

Fair enough, good sir. Easy to forget when you are drinking single barrel with your bowl of burgoo listening to ol' Bill.

"single barrel" = single barrel bourbon, the finest on Earth, is aged in Central Kentucky. It is beginning to be the "hip" thing in bigger cities, with some bars boasting 200+ brands.

"burgoo" = sheep stew, popular in Western Kentucky

"Ol Bill" = recognized as the grandfather of bluegrass, he was born and bred about 15 miles up the road from me.

You know, come to think of it, there are a lot of similarities between pool and bluegrass. There's a rich oral history, they get around from city to city, the stories grow bigger and better with time, there are lots of rambler/gambler/rogues who we idolize...the list goes on.

Sociologically speaking, the culture surrounding pool is simply fascinating.

Any of you guys ever make it to Owensboro in the mid-'90's when they had the tournaments at the Executive Inn? Although we grew up watching Nick Varner play straight pool for hours on end, it was the first time I got to see Efren and many other of the foregin players. Man, I could watch Efren spin the cue ball for hours! (In fact, Pat Fleming probably put some kids through college based on the fact that people like to watch Efren's CB dance!)

I remember getting Earl Strickland's autograph after a semifinal match and being unable to think of anything to say about the match. I did get out an awkward, "Good shootin', Tex!" and we both laughed.

Wow, I have digressed.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... "Ol Bill" = recognized as the grandfather of bluegrass, he was born and bred about 15 miles up the road from me.

You know, come to think of it, there are a lot of similarities between pool and bluegrass. There's a rich oral history, they get around from city to city, the stories grow bigger and better with time, there are lots of rambler/gambler/rogues who we idolize...the list goes on. ...

You're referring of course to the great mandolinist Bill Monroe, whose band "The Blue Grass Boys" was to provide the name for the style for all time. What a great player, and an enormous influence on every bluegrass player of his time and afterwards!!

We used to frequent the Kenmill Cafe, a bluegrass joint in Cincinnati, in the mid 1960's where the house band --The Stoney Mountain Boys-- featured Earl Taylor, Junior and The Boatwhistle. We heard every top bluegrass player in the country there, except for Bill Monroe.:( I never had the pleasure of hearing him play live.

~Doc

John Brumback

Verified Member
That's nasty...and something I need to think about doing more often. I probably
sold out:frus I don't know what I could have or should have done:confused: CFB

onepockethacker

Verified Member
In the original scenario i like a shot that nobody mentioned. I liked kicking 4 rails around the table at the 7 ball. If you hit it good you can knock it down to the end rail by the 5 ball. That 7 ball is in a bad spot for you right now. just taking a one rail intentional under it hasnt done anything to improve your chances. Even if you hit the kick bad and you hit the 15 ball coming around you will probably bank it softly and safely to the end rail or make it for your opponent. The only thing that can go really wrong is if you happen to come around and hit the 15 ball and hang it. You play the kick with the speed to either hit the 7 ball barely to the rail coming off the 4th rail.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
In the original scenario i like a shot that nobody mentioned. I liked kicking 4 rails around the table at the 7 ball. If you hit it good you can knock it down to the end rail by the 5 ball. That 7 ball is in a bad spot for you right now. just taking a one rail intentional under it hasnt done anything to improve your chances. Even if you hit the kick bad and you hit the 15 ball coming around you will probably bank it softly and safely to the end rail or make it for your opponent. The only thing that can go really wrong is if you happen to come around and hit the 15 ball and hang it. You play the kick with the speed to either hit the 7 ball barely to the rail coming off the 4th rail.

I disagree with your choice simply because there isn't much margin for error with the kick..plus with the speed you suggested you don't figure to hit a rail. Why not just take the one rail intentional kick? Sending the cue ball to the side rail near your opponents pocket. From that position it will be difficult for him to go off the 5ball and put you in trouble again. If he tries chances are you come to the table with a much better situation.

Playing the position like I suggested lends to more options in subsequent innings which would give the shooter a better chance to "grind" out of the ..inferior position.
Bill Incardona

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I disagree with your choice simply because there isn't much margin for error with the kick..plus with the speed you suggested you don't figure to hit a rail. Why not just take the one rail intentional kick? Sending the cue ball to the side rail near your opponents pocket. From that position it will be difficult for him to go off the 5ball and put you in trouble again. If he tries chances are you come to the table with a much better situation.

Playing the position like I suggested lends to more options in subsequent innings which would give the shooter a better chance to "grind" out of the ..inferior position.
Bill Incardona

Grind LOL The 7 ball has you in deep shit. Playing the intentional like you said is an easy thin off the 5 ball and put you in the stack with the 7 ball still being a pain in the ass. Im trying to move the 7 ball to the end rail. I happen to kick REALLY well so im pretty confident I can pull this off. Like I said if I hit the 15 ball coming in its going to get knocked to the short rail most of the time... I just happen to see this particular situation as you are in a real bad spot and you need to do a little something extra to get out of this spot....... Who knows with a good shot here my opponent might "fumble the nuts or fall dead at the finish line "...AGAIN:D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I don't know what I could have or should have done:confused: CFB

Yes, we know.

Just ask yourself one question the next time you are the one-pocket player playing a bankpool player:

THE QUESTION HERE---->>> Where can I leave a bankpool player where he will not know what to do?

THE ANSWER HERE--->>>Anyf@@cking place on the headrail:p:D.

Dearest CatFishBreath,

If you insist on seeing what you shot, I will show it.

RBL

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Dennis, i might have missed this but; what did John do and who won the game. Keith

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Yes, we know.

Just ask yourself one question the next time you are the one-pocket player playing a bankpool player:

THE QUESTION HERE---->>> Where can I leave a bankpool player where he will not know what to do?

THE ANSWER HERE--->>>Anyf@@cking place on the headrail:p:D.

Dearest CatFishBreath,

If you insist on seeing what you shot, I will show it.

RBL

Waitin' on you moonshine breath:p.

RBL