Can you name these players?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
These three photos are all from the same 1967 Johnston City tournament program. The one that says 1961, really is from 1961, but the one labeled as 1962 I believe is mislabeled and should say 1963, based on some of the players in attendance, but I could be wrong. But in anycase, how good do you think you are at identifying old-time players? Some of these of course are household names in the pool world, including members of the BCA HOF and the One Pocket HOF, but others are a little trickier...

Have fun.
PS -- now for the shameless plug -- you can bid on this original Johnston City program on eBay (and some other original Johnston City stuff) until the auction ends this Sunday, here:
[ame="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300493289687&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT"]1967 JC program eBay auction[/ame]

Attachments

• 1961-JC.jpg
    1961-JC.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 1963-JC.jpg
    1963-JC.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Practice-session.jpg
    Practice-session.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 1

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Are you kidding...?

Are you kidding...?

Steve, I wont ruin everyone's fun by naming every human on every photo, so I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
fred bentivegna said:
Steve, I wont ruin everyone's fun by naming every human on every photo, so I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Beard
Well, then I have a special question for you. There were 14 players in the original 1961 Johnston City tournament -- which was only One Pocket as you know. Only 12 of the people in this '61 photo actually played in the tournament. Can you name the two who played in the tournament, but are NOT pictured?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
CaliRed said:
I'm pretty sure I see Cole Dickson in all 3 pictures if that's any help:eek:
Funny you should say that... There are several players in two photos, but I only see one player in all three -- Eddie Taylor.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
NH Steve said:
Well, then I have a special question for you. There were 14 players in the original 1961 Johnston City tournament -- which was only One Pocket as you know. Only 12 of the people in this '61 photo actually played in the tournament. Can you name the two who played in the tournament, but are NOT pictured?

This is fun...Wild guess...Fats,(who I'm sure played in it) and maybe Don Watson or Cornbread. Not real sure about Don being at the "61 affair, but I thought Red was...???)

I can name almost everybody in pic's 1 and 2, (except for the background figures) The only person I would NOT wager on it with, would be Fred, or obviously..you...;)

PS..Thanks for the healthy distraction...I think we all need to calm down a little.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
SJDinPHX said:
This is fun...Wild guess...Fats, and Don Watson or Cornbread (not real sure about Don being at the "61 affair, but I thought Red was...???)

I can name almost everybody in pic's 1 and 2, (except for the background figures) The only person I would NOT wager on it with, would be Fred, or obviously..you...;)
Fats is one of the missing players. Incidentally, the tournament actually started with only 12 players. Two players showed up too late, after the tournament had already begun, but because it was set up as a true full round robin, they added those two players for the final field of 14.

This photo, however, does include the two guys that showed up late -- they're not the ones missing from this pic.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
NH Steve said:
These three photos are all from the same 1967 Johnston City tournament program. The one that says 1961, really is from 1961, but the one labeled as 1962 I believe is mislabeled and should say 1963, based on some of the players in attendance, but I could be wrong. But in anycase, how good do you think you are at identifying old-time players? Some of these of course are household names in the pool world, including members of the BCA HOF and the One Pocket HOF, but others are a little trickier...

Have fun.
PS -- now for the shameless plug -- you can bid on this original Johnston City program on eBay (and some other original Johnston City stuff) until the auction ends this Sunday, here:
1967 JC program eBay auction

It has been pointed out that the short guy in the middle is indeed Boston Shorty

Lassiter is second from right, second row

Lassiter performing the masse

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Where is Fatty?

Where is Fatty?

NH Steve said:

Me no see Fats or Weenie Beanie in that pic. They both played. Tugboat was the referee, he didnt play in the tourn.

Beard

Let's go a step further. Tugboat Whaley is the guy in the background between Wimpy shooting a masse, and Weenie Beanie in pic #3.

In pic #1 the 1/2 head of the guy behind Boston Shorty is Corn Bread. You can tell by the ears.

Finally, the guy in pic#3 behind Eddie Taylor with a portion of face showing is probably Detroit Whitey. Check out the similar hair style Whitey has in pic #2 when he is shown in full view.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
fred bentivegna said:
Me no see Fats or Weenie Beanie in that pic. They both played. Tugboat was the referee, he didnt play in the tourn.

Beard

Let's go a step further. Tugboat Whaley is the guy in the background between Wimpy shooting a masse, and Weenie Beanie in pic #3.

In pic #1 the 1/2 head of the guy behind Boston Shorty is Corn Bread. You can tell by the ears.

Finally, the guy in pic#3 behind Eddie Taylor with a portion of face showing is probably Detroit Whitey. Check out the similar hair style Whitey has in pic #2 when he is shown in full view.
You got that question, and you already guessed at one of my next trick questions -- Tugboat in the background.

PS, I know from written accounts that Cornbread was there for the action in 1961, but he did not play in the tournament until the next year -- or maybe even not until '63.

RedCard

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
This is fun...Wild guess...Fats,(who I'm sure played in it) and maybe Don Watson or Cornbread. Not real sure about Don being at the "61 affair, but I thought Red was...???)

PS..Thanks for the healthy distraction...I think we all need to calm down a little.

One of the people in the background, under Coke's substantial shoulder, is his bodyguard. No telling how many names he had.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Which photo RC?

Which photo RC?

RedCard said:
One of the people in the background, under Coke's substantial shoulder, is his bodyguard. No telling how many names he had.

In the photo with Wimpy shooting the masse, the guy to the left of Cokes is Chris McGeehan.

Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
RedCard said:
I've heard that before -- but how do you know that? I would definitely like to to confirm any of the perimeter guys in that pic, but I was just assuming they were sweaters.

RedCard

Verified Member
Johnston City Photo

Johnston City Photo

NH Steve said:
I've heard that before -- but how do you know that? I would definitely like to to confirm any of the perimeter guys in that pic, but I was just assuming they were sweaters.

Not sure where I got these photos, hope I didn't infringe on anybody's (copy)rights. When I saw the picture with most of the players named and saw one tagged as 'Coke's bodyguard', I thought how tough must that guy be. I don't have any knowledge of it that would be conclusive. A buddy of mine still corresponds with Hubert's son Ellis occasionally. I'll mention it and maybe a definitive answer will emerge.

Attachments

• JohnstonCity'61.jpg
    JohnstonCity'61.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Names?.jpg
    Names?.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 2

RedCard

Verified Member
Pictures

Pictures

Freddy,
If those came from your site rest assured they were not used in any commercial way. I usually ask when I run across pictures like those (as I did with the Tom Fox article you typed out) but lately there have been so many, here for instance, that I haven't seen that I just grab them and toss them in a folder. Your site remains the only linked-to site on my web site.

RedCard

Verified Member
Another killing

Another killing

I was going to say that it stood to reason that Cokes would have somebody watching his back after just killing the 'card player/golf hustler' Keith Kallio at his home in Evansville. Cokes was not in his gracious host mode that evening. I checked though and that justifiable homicide did not occur until July of 1964 and I assume that group photo was made in 1961.

Attachments

• Kallio.jpg
    Kallio.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
RedCard said:
I was going to say that it stood to reason that Cokes would have somebody watching his back after just killing the 'card player/golf hustler' Keith Kallio at his home in Evansville. Cokes was not in his gracious host mode that evening. I checked though and that justifiable homicide did not occur until July of 1964 and I assume that group photo was made in 1961.
The top group photo was taken in 1961 -- probably early in the tournament before Beenie showed up (since he's not in it). Don't have any speculation as to why Fats wasn't in there -- he apparently was not shy about having his photo taken (whereas Boston Shorty reportedly complained, "I ain't hustled the west coast yet..."

Very interesting about Cokes. Cokes never missed a JC tournament. There are a number of other players over the years that have taken state or federal sponsored vacations, but apparently Cokes avoided that.