Rafael Martinez pulls a move

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Hey Daniel, I want to let you know that I really like what you do for pool. I don't know if you remember me but we chatted a little bit at Hardtimes when Efren and one of the Phoenix guys were gambling.

Sorry to rant about Box but I felt I needed to let you know how I feel about it. I'll be a little more liberal with mute.

I should also send you a little something
Money sent✈️

Jim

Received - Thank You, Jim...
And thank you all for the feedback. We are always interested in taking on other commentators of this game and all others. And once again for a multitude of reasons, providing quality commentary on a regular basis during events that are sometimes 12-16 hours in length is one of our most challenging responsibilities. Be that as it may, you should all know that there are times when finding those commentators, is often a 'trial and error' process in and of itself. Such is the case with Melissa Herndon, who is a professional pool player that showed interest in sitting with us during Joe Martin's, One-Pocket event 3 years ago but much to my dismay, found out within 10 minutes that she actually hates the game. It's puzzling to me that with so many knowledgeable people out there, rarely do people step up to me and say, "Hey, can I take a crack at this with you, because I think it would give the viewers more insight."

The feedback is so important to me though... I don't think most of the audience has any idea how many balls I have to juggle as the producer of this stream. From getting good matches to getting good camera angles and all the rest in between, it's like walking a tight-rope; especially when everything is live. So, for the simple fact that POV has survived this long as a 'FREE STREAM', I'm rarely bothered by the criticisms because they merely serve to make us a little stronger and a little better.

I promise also that, I will not hold my tongue with people that make mistakes in commentary that don't sound right to me... Even though BoX could crush my with his left pinky.... :p

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
what's your paypal to donate a few bucks to support free one pocket streams?

(i don't know anything about the whole commentator dust up but would absolutely love to hear frank almanza's billiard mind at work....;))

:)

keoneyo

Verified Member
And thank you all for the feedback. We are always interested in taking on other commentators of this game and all others. And once again for a multitude of reasons, providing quality commentary on a regular basis during events that are sometimes 12-16 hours in length is one of our most challenging responsibilities. Be that as it may, you should all know that there are times when finding those commentators, is often a 'trial and error' process in and of itself. Such is the case with Melissa Herndon, who is a professional pool player that showed interest in sitting with us during Joe Martin's, One-Pocket event 3 years ago but much to my dismay, found out within 10 minutes that she actually hates the game. It's puzzling to me that with so many knowledgeable people out there, rarely do people step up to me and say, "Hey, can I take a crack at this with you, because I think it would give the viewers more insight."

The feedback is so important to me though... I don't think most of the audience has any idea how many balls I have to juggle as the producer of this stream. From getting good matches to getting good camera angles and all the rest in between, it's like walking a tight-rope; especially when everything is live. So, for the simple fact that POV has survived this long as a 'FREE STREAM', I'm rarely bothered by the criticisms because they merely serve to make us a little stronger and a little better.

I promise also that, I will not hold my tongue with people that make mistakes in commentary that don't sound right to me... Even though BoX could crush my with his left pinky.... :p

Again my apologies for my asinine rant. I tried to be funny about being dogmatic about one pocket. But it came out twisted. You don't deserve it. Youre doing a great job.
I too sent you a little something via paypal.
Keep on keeping on.
Keone

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
For what it's worth I thought everyone in this thread handled themselves admirably..for real. I'm sorry that I didn't watch the stream, I really enjoy watching one pocket nearly as much as I like talking about it. :) In regard to your commentators there are many experienced one pocket players in your area that truly know the game..you need to persuade them to get into the box. I'm not trying to be critical but like when you had a chance to get John Schmidt and declined because of the "friend thing"..you blew a good chance to improve your product. All it takes is one knowledgeable player that is respected to do the commentary, from there other players will be interested..especially the better ones and then you have something. However, it's up to you to get that one person and grow, you have a good product it just needs a little boost..from you.

When I first started to do commentary there was really no one doing commentary, other than "World Tournament" events, which weren't many. I love pool with a passion and couldn't understand why no one wanted to talk about it, particularly the top players. I convinced players like ..Buddy Hall, Grady Mathews, Bobby Hunter, and others to step into the booth, Grady and Hunter were eager but Buddy didn't want to but when he finally agreed he fell in love with it. Yes, players like Jimmy Fusco, Johnny Ervolino, Danny Diliberto, Jimmy Rempe, Mike Segal, Allan Hopkins, Ronnie Allen, hell just about every top player at one time or another stopped to visit with Accu-Stats" and sit in.:D Yes it's been great, but it all started just like the way I described, you gotta hustle the players to step in and get you a good one to start, like John Schmidt.

Get it going and they will come.

"One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
-- Strawberry Brooks

Dr. Bill

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
what's your paypal to donate a few bucks to support free one pocket streams?

(i don't know anything about the whole commentator dust up but would absolutely love to hear frank almanza's billiard mind at work....;))

Hi Miller -
Here's a little Frank Almanza for you that we recorded a couple of months ago: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cre87Q5x1c[/ame]

All donation links can be found on my website: www.povpool.com/donate

Thank you Keone for your donation also. You're a standup guy.

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
For what it's worth I thought everyone in this thread handled themselves admirably..for real. I'm sorry that I didn't watch the stream, I really enjoy watching one pocket nearly as much as I like talking about it. :) In regard to your commentators there are many experienced one pocket players in your area that truly know the game..you need to persuade them to get into the box. I'm not trying to be critical but like when you had a chance to get John Schmidt and declined because of the "friend thing"..you blew a good chance to improve your product. All it takes is one knowledgeable player that is respected to do the commentary, from there other players will be interested..especially the better ones and then you have something. However, it's up to you to get that one person and grow, you have a good product it just needs a little boost..from you.

When I first started to do commentary there was really no one doing commentary, other than "World Tournament" events, which weren't many. I love pool with a passion and couldn't understand why no one wanted to talk about it, particularly the top players. I convinced players like ..Buddy Hall, Grady Mathews, Bobby Hunter, and others to step into the booth, Grady and Hunter were eager but Buddy didn't want to but when he finally agreed he fell in love with it. Yes, players like Jimmy Fusco, Johnny Ervolino, Danny Diliberto, Jimmy Rempe, Mike Segal, Allan Hopkins, Ronnie Allen, hell just about every top player at one time or another stopped to visit with Accu-Stats" and sit in.:D Yes it's been great, but it all started just like the way I described, you gotta hustle the players to step in and get you a good one to start, like John Schmidt.

Get it going and they will come.

"One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
-- Strawberry Brooks

Dr. Bill

Wow -
Thanks Billy Incardona for your words of wisdom. I will focus my efforts further on this. You and Danny D. were my idols back in the day and still love hearing you both in the present time.

Meanwhile... Aren't we supposed to be bashing Rafael Martinez on this thread? LMAO! It kinda looked like a move to me, but who's to say really except Rafael.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Wow -
Thanks Billy Incardona for your words of wisdom. I will focus my efforts further on this. You and Danny D. were my idols back in the day and still love hearing you both in the present time.

Meanwhile... Aren't we supposed to be bashing Rafael Martinez on this thread? LMAO! It kinda looked like a move to me, but who's to say really except Rafael.

could have been an i forgot about it, could have been a move....only he knows....

the best game of onepocket i have ever personally witnessed was bruce v martinez at dcc two or three years ago. i think it was the first rack, maybe took 2-1/2 to 3 hours - it was a clinic in moves - came down to the last ball (which was crazy in and of itself). shortstop steve and freddy sweated it also..... what made it even better was that mike massey parked right there with me and riva (he played the specter the night before and wanted to find out everything he could about him) and whispered back and fourth with me an expert breakdown - stroke by stroke. (not to mention - once or twice ghosty turned around and told me why he did what he did....what comes to mind "i'm trying to set him up with that..."). anyway.......

rafael is always exciting in one way or another. he's a great player.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Rafael Martinez pulls a move

I remember that game dustin. It was 2 years ago. I watched with you as long as I could without picking up a cue. I think it was about 7 minutes 😜.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I remember that game dustin. It was 2 years ago. I watched with you as long as I could without picking up a cue. I think it was about 7 minutes ��.

lol:D

maybe that is why i suck so bad every time i get a shot at the ghost....must be etched in there deep....then again, maybe its the splinters i'm always pulling out of my fingers....:D

(one of these days clyde is gonna break the code and fill us in.....)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
And thank you all for the feedback. We are always interested in taking on other commentators of this game and all others. And once again for a multitude of reasons, providing quality commentary on a regular basis during events that are sometimes 12-16 hours in length is one of our most challenging responsibilities. Be that as it may, you should all know that there are times when finding those commentators, is often a 'trial and error' process in and of itself. ... It's puzzling to me that with so many knowledgeable people out there, rarely do people step up to me and say, "Hey, can I take a crack at this with you, because I think it would give the viewers more insight."
Daniel, if you find yourself at an event, and are trying to decide which of several players you might approach for seasoned commentary, I'm sure Cardone wouldn't mind a phone call from you for advice re your decision. Alternatively you could always pose the question on this site. Most likely the individuals that you're considering would be known by several of us here, and could provide insight regarding their credentials.

I'm a little surprised that some of the pros or top players would decline the request to do some commentary. After all, it is free self-promotion. On the other hand some pros may feel that since they're doing this for a living, they wouldn't offer their services for free. But if they're there anyway......

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Daniel, if you find yourself at an event, and are trying to decide which of several players you might approach for seasoned commentary, I'm sure Cardone wouldn't mind a phone call from you for advice re your decision. Alternatively you could always pose the question on this site. Most likely the individuals that you're considering would be known by several of us here, and could provide insight regarding their credentials.

I'm a little surprised that some of the pros or top players would decline the request to do some commentary. After all, it is free self-promotion. On the other hand some pros may feel that since they're doing this for a living, they wouldn't offer their services for free. But if they're there anyway......

~Doc
doc
i would think they decline because they dont want to show what they do or dont know

just sayin

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
Another POV supporter

Another POV supporter

Daniel, I am a long time fan and supporter of your work with POV streaming.

Any chance of getting 'onepocket Rich' back on the mic?

His 'after hours/late night' commentary was great. Real, gritty and from a great competitor's perspective...just not Sunday School fare.:p

Just give him a bold print list of 'can't say that on air' words...I'm sure it will be fine.:eek::D

Keep up the good work, your audience is appreciative.

...did he injure his shooting shoulder?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

His 'after hours/late night' commentary was great. Real, gritty and from a great competitor's perspective...just not Sunday School fare.:p

Just give him a bold print list of 'can't say that on air' words...I'm sure it will be fine.:eek::D

I second that motion. Rich is very good.

lfigueroa

Verified Member

I think that for some guys doing commentary is like public speaking and some folks just have an aversion to putting themselves in that kind of spot. The other reason is that commenting can be a real grind. I've done it several times and you really have to stay on your toes for the duration of the match. Doing multiple matches is even tougher. Also, if you do not have a good co-commenator, it can be bad.

If you have a good match and a good co-commentaor to work with it can be fun.

Lou Figueroa

Wayne

Verified Member

...did he injure his shooting shoulder?

Unfortunately, Richard retired from the pool world about a year ago. No injury.
He got very busy with his business and then just lost interest completely. Hopefully he makes a comeback at some point.

His commentating was very insightful in the Scott vs Alex match but he ruffled a number of feathers with his curses. I don't think a list of words he can't use would work for him because he says what he is thinking without having the ability to edit.

He would make a fantastic color man if someone else was doing the announcing. That way he would not get caught up in his excitement.

If he does come back I think Daniel would do very well to get him to be the color man during any big match.

He has a terrific mind for the game and is a better defensive player than Efren or Scott and people listening would definitely learn a thing or two.

Wayne

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Unfortunately, Richard retired from the pool world about a year ago. No injury.
He got very busy with his business and then just lost interest completely. Hopefully he makes a comeback at some point.

His commentating was very insightful in the Scott vs Alex match but he ruffled a number of feathers with his curses. I don't think a list of words he can't use would work for him because he says what he is thinking without having the ability to edit.

He would make a fantastic color man if someone else was doing the announcing. That way he would not get caught up in his excitement.

If he does come back I think Daniel would do very well to get him to be the color man during any big match.

He has a terrific mind for the game and is a better defensive player than Efren or Scott and people listening would definitely learn a thing or two.

Wayne

Rich has actually been lingering in my mind since halfway thru this thread. Wayne, I had his number but lost it a year and a half ago when I lost my phone. If you give me his number again I will call him when my schedule permits. I will also post something here, behind an upcoming event for more suggestions. One never knows, one of you could be coming into town for it.

I really do like Rich as well and am not that worried about his profanity, because it can be controlled. I think he consciously dampened his language during a 10 Ball final match at Hard Times a year ago.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Rich has actually been lingering in my mind since halfway thru this thread. Wayne, I had his number but lost it a year and a half ago when I lost my phone. If you give me his number again I will call him when my schedule permits. I will also post something here, behind an upcoming event for more suggestions. One never knows, one of you could be coming into town for it.

I really do like Rich as well and am not that worried about his profanity, because it can be controlled. I think he consciously dampened his language during a 10 Ball final match at Hard Times a year ago.

Woo hoo.

Good news. Hope it works out.

(Your first post on this thread was excellent.)