Nicknames

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
So researching the threads most of the nicknames are pretty self explanatory... Pittsburg Billy, Freddy the Beard, Amarillo Slim, Gulfport Doc... any of you out there like to tell just how you got the "handle"? I am sure there are some interesting stories to be heard...

Bille:confused:

P.S. I actually thought of asking ya'll to come up with one for me prior to derby, but just couldn't bear of what sunnyone would come up with... LOL

grimel

Verified Member
I picked this up at UT as my first login in 1984. More folks know me by grimel via the 'net than anything else. If you are asking about a pool name they come as they come.

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
My name is Walter Hugh Kelley Jr. Every one used call my father by the his middle initial (H). For some reason, years ago, some of my friends started trying to call me by "H". Some other people in the pool world thought I was being called by "ACE". The nick name kind of stuck around.
I don't even like it.

bstroud

Verified Member
When I was hustling pool in the 60's I never told anyone my real name.

I got two nicknames.

One was "Colorado" because of my car tags.
The other one was "short pants" because I wore shorts most of the time.

Bill Stroud

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Like many players I have had several nicknames but there has been one that I got quite early on and has stuck with me. I must be getting somewhat famous because even when I go to someplace I've never been before someone will recognize me sooner or later and address me by this nickname, A**hole.:rolleyes:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
My name is Walter Hugh Kelley Jr. Every one used call my father by the his middle initial (H). For some reason, years ago, some of my friends started trying to call me by "H". Some other people in the pool world thought I was being called by "ACE". The nick name kind of stuck around.
I don't even like it.

It's a fact that most players do not give themselves a nickname, others do it for them and sometimes for very strange reasons. If a name sticks there's nothing you can do about it. One person used to call me "Mcloud" and an older lady called me "Urban Cowboy" and in one room I was "White Dennis" because there was a "Black Dennis" but "Cowboy Dennis" seems to have stuck.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I was given the nickname of Pittsburgh Billy for the same reasons Dick was named San Jose Dick. I think, but really don't know.:confused:

Dr. Bill

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Beard, not The Beard

Beard, not The Beard

Because I had a beard in Miami, at the Congress Bowl in North Miami, an old scuff named Sharky from Philly started calling me "Beard." Danny Di followed up the same way and it stuck. I didnt become, The Beard until much later.

Beard

Actually, because I had beat him pretty good a few times, my original full title was, ya Fu*kin' Beard.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I remember most of the nics I had at different places at different times. I didn't play well enough to have one name to stick. Most of them are easy to decipher.

1. Slim (doesn't apply now)
2. Stretch
3. D Lock
4. Codlock
5. Bird
6. NGSM (no good stinking motherf*cker)
7. Monty Man
8. Spider ?
9. Junkie (this was the last one. figures)

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Like many players I have had several nicknames but there has been one that I got quite early on and has stuck with me. I must be getting somewhat famous because even when I go to someplace I've never been before someone will recognize me sooner or later and address me by this nickname, A**hole.:rolleyes:

But seriously folks...barrrumpa. Detroit with emphasis on the first syllable, Pedro, Little Brother, The Salesman, The Kokomo Kid, Flint, One Pocket Pete, Petie.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Secret nicknames

Secret nicknames

Ok, here are some of my secret nicknames, Bensinger Freddy, Chicago Freddy, Banking Freddy, Chinatown Freddy, and two of my favorites, Freddy Bamboo, and Bounce.

Beard

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I called my friend H.X., his initials. Everybody else picked up on it, but they all called him Ajax. I never told 'em any different. :rolleyes:

grimel

Verified Member
If we are going to start with pool hall names:

At one point Davey Navy because I was the only squid in the place.
Spaceman because if I was playing a serious game the room could blow up and I'd never notice.
Tn Flash well, it's where I live(d) and I tend to play quickly. I don't think I've ever had a 9 ball match go over 20 minutes in a tournament.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
dennis
for a guy living in the rust belt
how much you know about alot of things never ceases to amaze me
(no smiley face i'm serious)
bamboo is the favorite food of pandas:eek:

If the Beard had been from Australia they may have called him "Freddy Eucalyptus":p

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Remember the Bamboo Curtain?

Remember the Bamboo Curtain?

how did you get that one??:confused:
what you rolled your"cigarrettes" in??:lol

Freddy Bamboo was a spinoff from Chinatown Freddy. The Bamboo Curtain was China's version of Russia's Iron Curtain.

Beard

That nickname was reserved strictly for South Siders and George Fels.

Beard