neils vs scott

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The problem is Larry if you don't hit it PERFECT and he can see the 10 ball you probably lose. When you are in a tough spot like this look for something easy to execute. Which intentional do you think is easier to execute the one you just diagrammed or just bunting the 7 ball and laying on top of the 5?

im going with the bunt the 7 all day...to me thats the shot
easy to execute /you will live for another day/and he doesnt have an easy reply
i just wanted to add an option for completeness

onepockethacker

Verified Member
im going with the bunt the 7 all day...to me thats the shot
easy to execute /you will live for another day/and he doesnt have an easy reply
i just wanted to add an option for completeness

I understand. I was saying that for some of the less experienced one pocket players. You are definitely a veteran now. Thats what makes this site great, people get to learn from all the WWYD's that members like yourself put up.It really speeds up the learning process. Thanks for doing that. I learn something new for myself all the time

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I'm leaning toward a combo bank on the five-fourteen. That is if the five ball is the ball approximately four or five inches to the right of the foot spot. I would look to stun the cue ball forward a few inches (right about on the spot would be right, this hides the fifteen and gives up no banks) and the hit on the fourteen can be controlled with a touch of English should the angle not be quite perfect. All I'm looking to do with this shot is get the fourteen along my side rail. Without a ball down low and on my side of the table I can only expect to remain in lots of trouble, but with one ball in my neighborhood I now will have something to work with and have created some momentum for myself.

Tom

ding!!! ding!!! ding!!! we have a winner!!!!
very aggressive and neils made the bank and tried to stun the ball forward but fortunately left (for himself) a shot on the 15

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
this view shows best where the cue ball ended
you can see the 14 going towards neils pocket if you look to the left of his head
ns5.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I understand. I was saying that for some of the less experienced one pocket players. You are definitely a veteran now. Thats what makes this site great, people get to learn from all the WWYD's that members like yourself put up.It really speeds up the learning process. Thanks for doing that. I learn something new for myself all the time

thanks for the kind words rob
not sure im a veteran but im learning
:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The 5-14 combo bank was the first shot I looked at, but if it were missed I was afraid of leaving something with the 12 or 5 balls. Turns out from your last view that the shot was reasonable, with good CB control. Did he hook himself from getting a shot on the 15? That's unfortunate if he did.

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The 5-14 combo bank was the first shot I looked at, but if it were missed I was afraid of leaving something with the 12 or 5 balls. Turns out from your last view that the shot was reasonable, with good CB control. Did he hook himself from getting a shot on the 15? That's unfortunate if he did.

Doc
doc
he made the 15 and a few more
didnt run out and the game went on

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Yeah, if that 5-14 laid with the cb control, you had to shoot it i think. The angle I feel in the 3rd shot posted in the op is a little deceiving, no fault of larry's of course :D

I was thinking of going forward a little more, but that may not quite have laid.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
ding!!! ding!!! ding!!! we have a winner!!!!
very aggressive and neils made the bank and tried to stun the ball forward but fortunately left (for himself) a shot on the 15

This was a very difficult position to be faced with and therefore I prefer to look for one of two solutions. First, I search for the most simple of answers. The three rail kick or the kick off the top rail would have been a fine choice had it not been for the danger of giving up the bank on the ten. The speed control had to be near perfect for that shot to be effective.

The bank on the one ball left very little room for error. Because of the English required to pass the eight ball and also avoid the possible scratch in the upper left hand corner I had to keep looking for something better. This shot also may have opened a door for a free shot on the fourteen or six (maybe) which leads to natural position on what looks like the eleven.

If I'm going down, I'm going down in flames. My second solution will be to find a shot which I can play aggressively. The combo was all I saw. With a touch of English one side or the other I can twist the object ball to find the proper angle on the fourteen and maintain the line I want for the cue ball. Pocketing the fourteen ball was an added bonus here. Getting the ball on his own side rail while hiding it was the primary goal. Well done!

When faced with a very difficult safety verses a very difficult offensive shot which provides position I will typically choose the offensive shot. Go down trying to win as apposed to trying to keep from losing. That's just me.

Tom

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
neils vs scott

Yes good WWYD. One comment I would like to add is that all of us are trying to see & sort these out based on screen captures. This makes it tough to always see which balls clear which balls and whether "dead" balls are truly dead or not. Heck even in real life on a real table it can be tough to call at times!

However, that does not diminish the value of the conversation and exchange of great ideas -- it just suggests another reason to be forgiving and understanding of different opinions. Thank you all for contributing and special thanks to the thread starters that put the work in to create the WWYD in the first place -- lll :D