How would you rate these guys?

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I have seen some different names mentioned lately. These guys seemed more like action guys than tournament guys. I would like some of the older guys that have seen alot of these guys play or have first hand stories to put these guys in an order in 9 ball than in one pocket

Don Watson
Jack Cooney
Don Anderson
Vernon Elliot
Denny Searcy
Eugene Clem Metz (i think thats his name)
Bill Lawson
Mike Carella
Bob Ogburn
Toby Sweet
Gaby (from Houston) i had heard about him that he was real good
George Rood
Sonny Springer
Mark Tadd

Im just trying to get a picture how some of these guys rated compared to others.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I have seen some different names mentioned lately. These guys seemed more like action guys than tournament guys. I would like some of the older guys that have seen alot of these guys play or have first hand stories to put these guys in an order in 9 ball than in one pocket

Don Watson
Jack Cooney
Don Anderson
Vernon Elliot
Denny Searcy
Bill Lawson
Mike Carella
Bob Ogburn
Toby Sweet
George Rood
Sonny Springer
Mark Tadd

Im just trying to get a picture how some of these guys rated compared to others.
I would think it would be not only hard but unfair to their legacy to put an exact rating on these players. Your list includes players from different generations, further complicating the accuracy of a fair assessment. I know and have played many players that you have listed, but some that I haven't played or know how they played. I will try to offer my opinion with a "ball park" rating on the players that i'm familiar with.

------------------------- 9 BALL ----------- ONE POCKET
Don Watson ---------------- A+---------?
Jack Cooney ---------------- B- --------A-
Don Anderson ---------------- DON'T KNOW HOW HE PLAYS EITHER GAME
Vernon Elliot ----------------- B+ ---------B+
Denny Searcy ---------------- A ----------A-
Eugene Clem Metz ------------ ?-----------A+
Bill Lawson -------------------- A+----------?
Mike Carella ------------------- A-----------A+
Bob Ogburn --------------------A- ---------B+
Toby Sweet --------------------A+----------DIDN'T PLAY THE GAME
Gaby (from Houston) ----------- B+---------?
George Rood --------------------????????????????
Sonny Springer -------------------????????????????
Mark Tadd ----------------------- A+----------A-

----- SOME WHAT OF AN EDUCATED GUESS:sorry

Billy I.

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
9 Ball

9 Ball

Don Watson
Jack Cooney
Don Anderson
Vernon Elliot
Denny Searcy
Bill Lawson
Mike Carella
Bob Ogburn
Toby Sweet
George Rood
Sonny Springer
Mark Tadd

9 Ball

1. Geo Rood, probably

2,3,4 in no particular order, Don Watson, Bill Lawson, Denny Searcy.

5. Toby Sweet

6,7,8, no order Carella, Ogburn, Vernon Eliot

Cooney, played zero 9 ball, Clem, probably better than the rest, but didnt play much 9 ball either. Mark Tadd, never seen him play enough. Sonny Springer -- a 1pkt player -- well under most of these playing 9 ball. Gabby, only seen him play a little, but dont put him with the top 8

Beard

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I think you need to add Lassiter to your list. And maybe Greg Stevens. They lived within 100 miles of each other in North Carolina and neither one would make the trip to the others court to play. :D:p:eek:
Rod.

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
on my 1-100 9-ball ---------------------OnePocket
Watson 93 --
Cooney ------- n/a ------- 95
Anderson N/A
Eliiott N/A -------- n/a
Searcy ---------
Metz n/a
Lawson N/A -------- n/a
Carella 92 ---------- 94
Ogburn 91 ---------- 91
Sweet 93 ------------- n/a
Gaby N/A n/a
Rood
Springer N/A
Tadd --------------- 95 ---------------- 93

... the scale helps ,,, everybody's a- (minus) could be 93 or 91 (opinion)

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I think you need to add Lassiter to your list. And maybe Greg Stevens. They lived within 100 miles of each other in North Carolina and neither one would make the trip to the others court to play. :D:p:eek:
Rod.

I have heard and know alot about Lassiters and Stevens play. Some of the others i have listed i dont

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I would think it would be not only hard but unfair to their legacy to put an exact rating on these players. Your list includes players from different generations, further complicating the accuracy of a fair assessment. I know and have played many players that you have listed, but some that I haven't played or know how they played. I will try to offer my opinion with a "ball park" rating on the players that i'm familiar with.

------------------------- 9 BALL ----------- ONE POCKET
Don Watson ---------------- A+---------?
Jack Cooney ---------------- B- --------A-
Don Anderson ---------------- DON'T KNOW HOW HE PLAYS EITHER GAME
Vernon Elliot ----------------- B+ ---------B+
Denny Searcy ---------------- A ----------A-
Eugene Clem Metz ------------ ?-----------A+
Bill Lawson -------------------- A+----------?
Mike Carella ------------------- A-----------A+
Bob Ogburn --------------------A- ---------B+
Toby Sweet --------------------A+----------DIDN'T PLAY THE GAME
Gaby (from Houston) ----------- B+---------?
George Rood --------------------????????????????
Sonny Springer -------------------????????????????
Mark Tadd ----------------------- A+----------A-

----- SOME WHAT OF AN EDUCATED GUESS:sorry

Billy I.

Its interesting you rate Toby higher than Ogburn in 9 ball. Alot of people from down here say that Bob played better and bet more than Toby did when they were playing their best.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Okay, okay

Okay, okay

Rod.

I of course, thought the same thing, but I wanted to make a simple statement. I changed it to The Southeast. I was originally going to say No Car, but I immediately thought of Wimpy.

However, if we would limit the conditions to bar tables, which I really didnt want to get into at the time, we could probably include Wimpy and Greg in his "gonna" beat list.

Beard

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Black Bart

Black Bart

Its interesting you rate Toby higher than Ogburn in 9 ball. Alot of people from down here say that Bob played better and bet more than Toby did when they were playing their best.

I played Bob a lot. He did a stretch in Bensingers also. Ask him. Never got to beat a human for six months. Never missed a ball while he was there, but was in a trap a day. He said Bensingers was his boot camp. Everyplace else after that was easy pickins. He played great 9 ball but everything I know and heard about Toby, was that Toby was a little better. Toby only played 9 ball. Bob played, golf and one pocket also.

Beard

Never played Toby. One of the few humans of that era that I missed.

beatle

Verified Member
all the great names of the past and present all played super and most could beat the other on their best days.

but the real decision comes to the test of time. which ones were playing great over a long span like 30 years. that determines to me anyway who was really good.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Don Watson
Jack Cooney
Don Anderson
Vernon Elliot
Denny Searcy
Bill Lawson
Mike Carella
Bob Ogburn
Toby Sweet
George Rood
Sonny Springer
Mark Tadd

all the great names of the past and present all played super and most could beat the other on their best days.

but the real decision comes to the test of time. which ones were playing great over a long span like 30 years. that determines to me anyway who was really good.

being able to play at high level for 30 years is definitely a testimony to your good luck to be healthy
but for this dicussion
i think the question and answer should be
IN THEIR PRIME
jmho
icbw

being able to play at high level for 30 years is definitely a testimony to your good luck to be healthy
but for this dicussion
i think the question and answer should be
IN THEIR PRIME
jmho
icbw

I completely agree,Larry. 30 years????? Ludicrous. Way too many factors over a 30 year span. What other athlete ( or even any other professional)would be judged over a 30 year period.

I say "in his/her prime" only.

Clare

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I completely agree,Larry. 30 years????? Ludicrous. Way too many factors over a 30 year span. What other athlete ( or even any other professional)would be judged over a 30 year period.

Clare

The intent of my question was judging them in their prime.

The intent of my question was judging them in their prime.

Thanks for the clarification, ophacker. Generally, when something is "rated", there is a set of stated criteria by which the rating is done. For example, Forbes does some rating. Recently, I read their ratings on places, such as "most miserable city", "most dangerous city", etc. Forbes always clearly states the criteria that is used to determine the rating. This helps greatly, and it gives the rating a sense of credibility.

Clare

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Prime, prime!

Prime, prime!

Clare

Prime only. I was a ham n egger until I was 30!

Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Thanks for the clarification, ophacker. Generally, when something is "rated", there is a set of stated criteria by which the rating is done. For example, Forbes does some rating. Recently, I read their ratings on places, such as "most miserable city", "most dangerous city", etc. Forbes always clearly states the criteria that is used to determine the rating. This helps greatly, and it gives the rating a sense of credibility.

Clare

clare for my rating as the most wonderful .beautiful ,sexy.intelligent female poster we have had in the past hour
YOU WIN:)
i hope you can take alittle teasing
i know you can
:D

clare for my rating as the most wonderful .beautiful ,sexy.intelligent female poster we have had in the past hour
YOU WIN:)
i hope you can take alittle teasing
i know you can
:D

OMG, Larry, I'm blushing.

You know I can....

xoxo,
Clare