whats the answer

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
from azb
1 pocket spot question - Today, 04:14 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i've asked everyone i know and they've told me i am incorrect, but i would like to know for sure. i was spotting a player 8-7 and he made my 8th ball as he was making his 5th ball. in my opinion its still his turn because he made a ball and still has a chance to win with the 2 balls left on the table.

everyone i have asked has agreed that since my 8th ball was made the game is over, but i argue that the player still has a chance to win due to the spot leaving a floater ball. furthermore, what if the game came down to 2 balls and my opponent made his ball and my ball in the same inning?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
from azb
1 pocket spot question - Today, 04:14 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i've asked everyone i know and they've told me i am incorrect, but i would like to know for sure. i was spotting a player 8-7 and he made my 8th ball as he was making his 5th ball. in my opinion its still his turn because he made a ball and still has a chance to win with the 2 balls left on the table.

everyone i have asked has agreed that since my 8th ball was made the game is over, but i argue that the player still has a chance to win due to the spot leaving a floater ball. furthermore, what if the game came down to 2 balls and my opponent made his ball and my ball in the same inning?

I think you need a hurricane or, at the least, a tropical storm to give you something to do!!!:)

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
1. Object of the game
One Pocket is a game for two players or two teams, where each player or team can only score into one of the two corner pockets on the foot end of the table, while the other player or team can only score into the other corner pocket at the foot end of the table. The other four pockets are neutral pockets, and any balls pocketed in a neutral pocket are spotted at the end of the shooter’s inning. There is no requirement to ‘call your shot’ in One Pocket, and no special order or significance to any numbered object balls. The first player (or team) to legally score eight balls into their own pocket wins the game, whether they pocket their game-winning ball by their own shot, or as a result of their opponent’s shot. The game may be handicapped either by agreement between players or as designated by a tournament director. Standard handicaps are created by adjusting the required winning score for either one or both players, either for all breaks or for specified player's breaks.

3.2 In the event that a player pockets both their own game winning ball, and their opponent’s game winning ball, both on the same legal stroke, then the shooting player wins. There are no ‘ties’, and it does not matter which ball drops first, as long as they both drop as a result of the same stroke.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
1. Object of the game
One Pocket is a game for two players or two teams, where each player or team can only score into one of the two corner pockets on the foot end of the table, while the other player or team can only score into the other corner pocket at the foot end of the table. The other four pockets are neutral pockets, and any balls pocketed in a neutral pocket are spotted at the end of the shooter’s inning. There is no requirement to ‘call your shot’ in One Pocket, and no special order or significance to any numbered object balls. The first player (or team) to legally score eight balls into their own pocket wins the game, whether they pocket their game-winning ball by their own shot, or as a result of their opponent’s shot. The game may be handicapped either by agreement between players or as designated by a tournament director. Standard handicaps are created by adjusting the required winning score for either one or both players, either for all breaks or for specified player's breaks.

3.2 In the event that a player pockets both their own game winning ball, and their opponent’s game winning ball, both on the same legal stroke, then the shooting player wins. There are no ‘ties’, and it does not matter which ball drops first, as long as they both drop as a result of the same stroke.
One interesting side note to this is that in the very first book published rules for One Pocket that I have found -- in Fats rule book, about 1964 -- this same question was covered. The earliest published rules that I have found were in several of the pool/billiard magazines covering the first Johnston City tournaments. Those rules were distributed by George Jansco in his press release packages.