Golf (on a pool/snooker table)

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I am always on his side. Perhaps I understand his humor more than most.

Like Mr Henderson, I appreciate the ducks humor and more than that, both of you have agreed to one pocket.orgs gentlemans agreements on regressive missiles. Rule number 1, keep it nice. Rule number 2. See rule #1.

Maxwell

Verified Member
Like Mr Henderson, I appreciate the ducks humor and more than that, both of you have agreed to one pocket.orgs gentlemans agreements on regressive missiles. Rule number 1, keep it nice. Rule number 2. See rule #1.

Dick was a fine and knowledgeable player (not the top but he doesn't usually claim to have been) but his "humor" has passed boorishness. In his attempt to denigrate OPH he has insulted Mellisa Little and all women players, and made himself look foolish. It's hard to believe that Dick wants his lasting memory with readers here to be the image he has been cultivating. He is an intelligent, witty person who, for some reason, insists on showing his ass.

I hesitated to post this opinion here fearing his regular combatant would feel it was support for him. It is not, I'm tired of them both.

cabilliardclub

Verified Member
6x12

6x12

John is right. There are many different was to play golf. It is a great game when you have a good group of players that understand the game. It is said that there are not many 6x12 left that are set up for golf. I learned the game 20 years ago by getting my ass kicked by the likes of ronnie allen, blind charly and many others that played in chico years ago. That room in chico had three 6x12 and the first table was for beginers. The second was for players waiting to get on the third table. The third table was for players and they were a tight group. This room was a 24 hour room and you bet your bottom dollar that no matter what time of day there were 7 plus guys in a game.

When i bought california billiard club my first goal was to rebuild the golf table and tighten the pockets. Not as tight as hardtimes but just right so it would be difficult to run out. John comes in every few weeks and he is a gem to play with. If i had 6 more johns i would probably be open 24hours a day. It is a game i wish more players would learn. Its great for action and everyone has a chance to win..

Don Smith

Verified Member
Do they play golf at Chris's Billiards in Chicago? I think they have a 6x12 snooker table.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Dick was a fine and knowledgeable player (not the top but he doesn't usually claim to have been) but his "humor" has passed boorishness. In his attempt to denigrate OPH he has insulted Mellisa Little and all women players, and made himself look foolish. It's hard to believe that Dick wants his lasting memory with readers here to be the image he has been cultivating. He is an intelligent, witty person who, for some reason, insists on showing his ass.

I hesitated to post this opinion here fearing his regular combatant would feel it was support for him. It is not, I'm tired of them both.

You are correct sir, I was very disrespectful, and chauvanistic, toward Melissa, and the ladies...But, it was so much fun ribbing the Hacker about it, I lost control..:eek:..Sooo, to you and Melissa, I do apologize for my 'boorishness'..But, except for 'smoking and drinking',..It is the only thing I do well anymore !

But, please notice...Melissa never posts here, nor do ANY of the top women player's. Furthermore, I do not think her, Jasmine, Karen, or any of the other top ladie's, actually feel they can overcome their male counterparts (ie, equals) at ANY given pool discipline....It is the same, in ALL sports, and its not likely to change any time soon

That does not make the girls 'lesser' human beings, or 'less competetive'.. But, with the exception of the "Battle of the Sexes" years ago, pitting Bobby Riggs, (washed up, 50some year old 2nd tier tennis pro) against, Billie Jean King (top tier player, near her prime)..the ladies RARELY, if ever, prevail !..They ARE, afterall, 'the 'weaker sex'...I thought we were ALL happy with that arraingement ?..

I am also reminded of "Titanic" Thompson's "high stakes" demolishing of a top young lady golf pro, when he was well into his 70's...He had her in tears !.....Ti's match took place way before 'political correctness' was a necessary evil..his pre game comment was,..."Ain't no 'Mop Squeezer' in the world gonna beat me, till I'm pushin' up daisies"..;) (even the 'Black Widow' might get a chuckle out of that) :eek:

So you see Maxwell, I may be a little behind in my P.C, but I am WAY ahead in my "just the facts ma'am" sense of reality...Sorry if you took it the wrong way..It was all in fun, (and at OPH's expense)..with very little collateral damage..:sorry :D

SuperDuck <--WILL 'show his ass', before he lets a 'second tier' player insult him, or his friend's..:cool:
If its just too much for you to bear,...theres always the ignore button !..;)

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
You are correct sir, I was very disrespectful, and chauvanistic, toward Melissa, and the ladies...But, it was so much fun ribbing the Hacker about it, I lost control..:eek:..Sooo, to you and Melissa, I do apologize for my 'boorishness'..But, except for 'smoking and drinking',..It is the only thing I do well anymore !

But, please notice...Melissa never posts here, nor do ANY of the top women player's. Furthermore, I do not think her, Jasmine, Karen, or any of the other top ladie's, actually feel they can overcome their male counterparts (ie, equals) at ANY given pool discipline....It is the same, in ALL sports, and its not likely to change any time soon

That does not make the girls 'lesser' human beings, or 'less competetive'.. But, with the exception of the "Battle of the Sexes" years ago, pitting Bobby Riggs, (washed up, 50some year old 2nd tier tennis pro) against, Billie Jean King (top tier player, near her prime)..the ladies RARELY, if ever, prevail !..They ARE, afterall, 'the 'weaker sex'...I thought we were ALL happy with that arraingement ?..

I am also reminded of "Titanic" Thompson's "high stakes" demolishing of a top young lady golf pro, when he was well into his 70's...He had her in tears !.....Ti's match took place way before 'political correctness' was a necessary evil..his pre game comment was,..."Ain't no 'Mop Squeezer' in the world gonna beat me, till I'm pushin' up daisies". (even the 'Black Widow' might get a chuckle out of that) :eek:

So you see Maxwell, I may be a little behind in my P.C, but I am WAY ahead in my "just the facts ma'am" sense of reality...Sorry if you took it the wrong way..It was all in fun, (and at OPH's expense)..with very little collateral damage..:sorry :D

SuperDuck <--WILL 'show his ass', before he lets a 'second tier' player insult him, or his friend's..:cool:
If its just too much for you to bear,...theres always the ignore button !..;)

I will take the high road....something SJD couldn't find with a road map. a GPS and a ****ing indian guide...
I could overnight you directions but i would have to send it Fed Ex nothing but bumbling, fumbling, assholes worked at UPS :)
P.S. My apologies to the members for me letting SJD ALMOST draw me back into one of his childish tirades.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I will take the high road....something SJD couldn't find with a road map. a GPS and a ****ing indian guide...
I could overnight you directions but i would have to send it Fed Ex nothing but bumbling, fumbling, assholes worked at UPS :)

Hacker, you amaze me !..Do you really think, that calling me, and my bud's,..'fumbling, bumbling, assh*le's'..
is somehow, "Taking the HIGH road" ?..:rolleyes:

SuperDuck

PS..Especially, since the worst I've called YOU lately, is a '2nd tier player' !..(which you should take,
as a 'little' compliment)... Would you rather have the cruel 'fat' jokes again ?..:eek:

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
we interrupt this thread to bring you a special message: I really suck at golf ! :frus .. Actually, i don't play anything very well..i am also totally inept, at one pocket.. I can play a little 3c billiards, or that other 'niche' game, that requires absolutely no skill, whatsoever ! :eek::eek:

We now return you to your regular programming:p. <--please do !

rbl

.................... ?

fretbored

When I was out in Orange County last spring I got to spend about 3 long evenings in Hard Times in Bellflower. Besides hacking around with some cheap one pocket with Roger and Filipino Ricky, the other thing I really enjoyed was watching the golf game on the 6x12 to the left of the entrance.

The regulars were complaining how slow the table was because someone had just cleaned it wrong... I had never seen a ball roll so far and hit so many rails on a soft hit ever! I watched enough to try and figure the game out a bit, but can't say I really got any of the nuances figured out... but i'd like to. The tightness of that table looked vicious to me...

From what I saw, there was one really good natured white guy playing that I talked with several times that week... the other folks that I saw playing him were all older, Mexican, and very serious looking dudes...

The best one pocket I saw was watching Moto play some $600 sets with a young guy that was in from out of town... never got a name on him.

One Pocket John

Verified Member
Back in the 70's I played golf with a group of older guys on a snooker table in a room owned by Weldon in Tucson, AZ. Man, those were the days. :)

Golf when played by experienced players is one of the most cut throat games around, a ton of fun. If I remember correctly, we played for a dollar a pocket.

It could get brutal. I knew I could beat those older guys, but I kept running out of money. :frus

I miss playing Golf.

John

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Back in the 70's I played golf with a group of older guys on a snooker table in a room owned by Weldon in Tucson, AZ. Man, those were the days. :)

Golf when played by experienced players is one of the most cut throat games around, a ton of fun. If I remember correctly, we played for a dollar a pocket.

It could get brutal. I knew I could beat those older guys, but I kept running out of money. :frus

I miss playing Golf.

John

I started playing golf on a big pocket snooker table in a bowling alley in 1960. I went in there to learn three cushion, but there were three snooker tables with players gambling at golf, so I became a regular customer. I was already a fair snooker player and adapted to golf quickly.

The pockets were so soft on those bowling alley Brunswick's, you had to go five and out from the two hole fairly often to have a chance in the "A" game. I started going to The Billiard Palace in Bellflower a few years later and playing on a tight 6 x 12 made me learn a different game.

I still get to play on a 6 x 12 at California Billiard Club in Mountain View once and a while with a good group of players. It is 150 miles away from me, but I make the trip every few weeks to get my golf fix.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I started playing golf on a big pocket snooker table in a bowling alley in 1960. I went in there to learn three cushion, but there were three snooker tables with players gambling at golf, so I became a regular customer. I was already a fair snooker player and adapted to golf quickly.

The pockets were so soft on those bowling alley Brunswick's, you had to go five and out from the two hole fairly often to have a chance in the "A" game. I started going to The Billiard Palace in Bellflower a few years later and playing on a tight 6 x 12 made me learn a different game.

I still get to play on a 6 x 12 at California Billiard Club in Mountain View once and a while with a good group of players. It is 150 miles away from me, but I make the trip every few weeks to get my golf fix.

Golf has pretty much died out down here. There used to be 30 guys everyday waiting in line to play. Mostly older players that in the last 10 or 12 years have passed away. They never really bothered to show the game to the younger players so literally the game is dying off. There are only about 5 or 6 players left

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Golf has pretty much died out down here. There used to be 30 guys everyday waiting in line to play. Mostly older players that in the last 10 or 12 years have passed away. They never really bothered to show the game to the younger players so literally the game is dying off. There are only about 5 or 6 players left

Its still strong and healthy at Earl's Place in Flint, MI and at Hall of Fame in Warren, MI. They use different rules.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

I miss playing Golf.

John

john,
check your pm. gimme a call sometime.
dustin
:)