Bank move gone awry

Skin

Verified Member
Somebody please tell me how this happened at firm speed? I was trying to move the ball to my pocket (upper left) and hold the cb a bit. The outcome cost me the game. Sheeesh. A dimple in the cushion, maybe? It wasn't what you'd call a good table...but..still! The opponent even was mystified (happily of course).

Skin

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1DJKX3PJCQ1XJKX1XEvl4XYOe3kJCQ1kKAI1uCEP@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Skin said:
Somebody please tell me how this happened at firm speed? I was trying to move the ball to my pocket (upper left) and

hold the cb a bit.

Skin

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1DJKX3PJCQ1XJKX1XEvl4XYOe3kJCQ1kKAI1uCEP@[/CUETABLE]
you were really good at holding the cue ball:rolleyes:

Skin

Verified Member
lll said:
you were really good at holding the cue ball:rolleyes:

Larry I left out all the other balls on the table and cb path after the shot for simplicity. It was the right shot at the time...just gone unexpectedly very funky.

Skin

One Pocket John

Verified Member
When the Q-ball crossed the object ball right english was applied to it. This is based on the information as presented.

John

Skin

Verified Member
One Pocket John said:
When the Q-ball crossed the object ball right english was applied to it. This is based on the information as presented.

John

Dirty balls tend to do that in the extreme like in this case. I hadn't thougt of it. Thanks.

Skin

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I wonder if there is a human alive, that could apply inside (left) english on that and cut it backwards about a 1/2 diamond or so and then have the english take off the rail to send it back to that pocket it went. I say that, because I'm a fan of stroke shots.. shots with massive english, shots that defy the law of physics, love that stuff:D

You got me, I would have have to say it has something to do with the exact point of the rail that you hit.. it must have a major malfunction at that exact point.:)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
The rail may be separating from it's backing. I've seen balls do weird things like this when a rail went bad. Other than that, I don't have a clue.

Dennis

Skin

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
I wonder if there is a human alive, that could apply inside (left) english on that and cut it backwards about a 1/2 diamond or so and then have the english take off the rail to send it back to that pocket it went. I say that, because I'm a fan of stroke shots.. shots with massive english, shots that defy the law of physics, love that stuff:D

You got me, I would have have to say it has something to do with the exact point of the rail that you hit.. it must have a major malfunction at that exact point.:)

Red, I haven't been able to blame anything I've done in quite a while on overstroking the ball. Thanks for the compliment though. :)

Skin

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
The rail may be separating from it's backing. I've seen balls do weird things like this when a rail went bad. Other than that, I don't have a clue.

Dennis

I'll be down there again tomorrow and will check it out. There are a few odd things about that table including a bad cut out of the plastic in the pocket in one of the holes that throws a hard shot into the facing out of the hole.

But, tell me that shot I diagrammed was not bad luck. Just go ahead...try! :D

Skin

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin, Left english make you cut it more. Right english makes a fuller hit. If you hit down on the CB the collision induced english will reverse the OB when it hits the rail.:)
Rod.
PS, Not usually to this extreme.
PPS, This is why many turn back banks are 1/2 ball hit and no english, just hitting down on the CB.
Rod.

Skin

Verified Member
androd said:
Skin, Left english make you cut it more. Right english makes a fuller hit. If you hit down on the CB the collision induced english will reverse the OB when it hits the rail.:)
Rod.
PS, Not usually to this extreme.
PPS, This is why many turn back banks are 1/2 ball hit and no english, just hitting down on the CB.
Rod.

I won't tell you what you gave me there, Rod, but it was good. Thanks.

Skin

Aaron_S

In addition to the aforementioned, I would be curious if you had a skid as well. I know they are less common when you are cutting a ball, but they can certainly exaggerate throw/spin when they happen, although I suspect you would have seen the tell-tale hop if that were the case.

Aaron

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Skin said:
I'll be down there again tomorrow and will check it out. There are a few odd things about that table including a bad cut out of the plastic in the pocket in one of the holes that throws a hard shot into the facing out of the hole.

But, tell me that shot I diagrammed was not bad luck. Just go ahead...try! :D

Skin

I believe I'd try to perfect that shot while I was there.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Throw like that Let me take a wild gues...The room temperature was above 72 degrees and it was slightly muggy and the balls were somewhat clean.... or the balls were dirty if it was colder. If the cueball was just getting roll(top) on it just before contact it magnified the collision induced throw. Im guessing it was the warmer scenario, which at that speed magnifies the spin on a ball contacting the rail.

Just a guess:D