2009 One Pocket HOF Official Discussion Thread

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Please post your comments and discussion here, to keep the ballot thread clean. Any comment posts in the ballot thread will be moved here.

But, all opinions and comments -- both for and against -- are welcome. Give your favorite players a plug! Just keep it civil with your fellow Onepocket.org members. Keep in mind the One Pocket HOF honor means a lot to those who are elected; just being on the ballot is an accomplishment! These players are all champions and they all deserve our respect.

Thank you, and remember to vote!

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
I voted for one living player and one who passed away, I thought that was the best plan. My picks were Buddy and Ervilino.

I believe that everyone on that list belongs in the HOF and a few names not mentioned as well. All in due time they will be inducted.

I will be at the HOF dinner this year, It will be difficult and differnt without Randi, I hope Grady is doing best he can. I dont know what we can do to honor Randi at the dinner but I do believe something more than a moment of silence is called for. I think if we put our heads together on this we can come up with something meaningful. She was part of one pocket in my eyes.

Thanks for everything

Eric Petersen

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
If possible, how about naming the one handed one pocket tournament in her honor? Or a table named in her honor at the dinner where special people are seated? Just throwing ideas out trying to help.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i want to campaign for earl heisler. a player and gambler from i think the 1940's to the 1980's . not as well known and maybe a ball below the best ran the sports palace in new orleans which was a stopping place for road players to get action and earl would play anybody .it also was where new york blackie called "home" for many years. i mention this only to add credibility to the sports palace as an action destination. in eddie robbins bool earl is described as a VERY good one pocket player. eddie emphasized the very in his description.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
i want to campaign for earl heisler. a player and gambler from i think the 1940's to the 1980's . not as well known and maybe a ball below the best ran the sports palace in new orleans which was a stopping place for road players to get action and earl would play anybody .it also was where new york blackie called "home" for many years. i mention this only to add credibility to the sports palace as an action destination. in eddie robbins bool earl is described as a VERY good one pocket player. eddie emphasized the very in his description.

Stoking the old mem's again Larry. When I was just a lad, and "thought" I could play 1P...Earl tortured me in the Sports Palace, as he did a lot of roadies.
He had a lot going for him in his joint. (climate control, boiled crabs, and tables you could wring water out of) But Earl was a real solid mover, and a gentleman to play with. It was some years later, before I exacted my revenge. (in Baton Rouge)
You almost had to get him out of his joint to beat him in the 50's and 60's.

Didn't he sell the Sports Palace to Flyboy ?

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
SJDinPHX said:
Stoking the old mem's again Larry. When I was just a lad, and "thought" I could play 1P...Earl tortured me in the Sports Palace, as he did a lot of roadies.
He had a lot going for him in his joint. (climate control, boiled crabs, and tables you could wring water out of) But Earl was a real solid mover, and a gentleman to play with. It was some years later, before I exacted my revenge. (in Baton Rouge)
You almost had to get him out of his joint to beat him in the 50's and 60's.

Didn't he sell the Sports Palace to Flyboy ?

I don't think he owned the place ,maybe a part, I remember him having or being involved with the poker game. He was the best player there and all the young players patterned themselves after him. They all played painfully slow. The only guy who played at a reasonable pace was Danny Wong and he had moved there from Frisco. I was with Eddie Taylor driving towards NOLA. he told me he gave Earl 8/7 and it was a hard game.
Rod. <---never played Earl and ducked all his proteges.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the voting is close come on guys and gal(fanatic) vote for dick mcmorran he's still alive barely:D and VERY respected among his peers (even freddy whom may hate him for his opininion about fats and bank pool still respects his reputation on one pocket) lets get him into the hall of fame where he belongs:) dick will you wear a ups shirt at your induction?

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Relocated from the ballot thread...
jay helfert said:
Great Player - I guess Clem belongs in the One Pocket HOF since he beat many of the guys who are either in there already or on the ballot. As a kid I remember when a discussion came up about the best One Pocket player, Clem was on top of everyone's list. The only player mentioned in the same breath back then was the recently departed White Rags (John Fitzpatrick). All the deceased players on this list (plus Jr. Goff) would have been underdogs playing Clem, except maybe Worst, who came along later anyway.

Back Room LEGEND - And Fats should have his own HOF, exclusively for him. He was that much in a class by himself. He did brag incessantly about "beating every living human", but his claims were not that far from the truth. Some may have given him a little weight (like 8-7 or 10-8) but Fats got the cash and that's what counts. He did in fact lose a few times to top players and they were quick to point that out. What they sometimes failed to mention was that Fatty changed the game and got them in the end. Funny how that part of many stories got left out.

Many good players who I knew (including Puckett, Lassiter and Beenie) gave credit to Fats for his game making ability and winning record. To a man they attested to Fats being a very smart gambler, and his game of choice was almost exclusively One Pocket.

There are other players who belong in the HOF but these two stand out on this list imo.

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
relocated from the ballot thread
gambletolive said:
its time for him to be in he brought us so much all i can say is thank you jose

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
How many verified members do we have?, one more thing I think that the votes should be open for the public to see also so we know if verified members have voted or non verified.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Fast Lenny said:
How many verified members do we have?, one more thing I think that the votes should be open for the public to see also so we know if verified members have voted or non verified.

You can always go to the main forum page
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/index.php

and on the green stripe below the forums, there is a link that is called View Forum Leaders... If you click that, it shows you who are verified members

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Wanted:

Wanted:

Can anyone report on a top player Buddy beat playing even up Onepocket for money? Please, it would make me feel better.

Beard

One of the all-time great players, but not in this category.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
fred bentivegna said:
Can anyone report on a top player Buddy beat playing even up Onepocket for money? Please, it would make me feel better.

Beard

Never knew of him playing, he would lose/win more betting on the side or putting in with his acolytes, than playing on his own.
Rod.

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
relocated from ballot thread
jrhendy said:
LIVING - Buddy Hall. Dick McMorran & Allen Hopkins

Deceased - Rudolf Wanderone & Harold Worst

JOHN HENDERSON

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Bump

Bump

fred bentivegna said:

Beard

Still waiting for a report or a sighting.

Beard