DErby CITy One pocket brackets

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
luckybreaky said:
WHere do i get the old tournamet brackets at..?
Because the tournaments are all single elimination with a one buy-back option, they don't do 'brackets' at Derby City; they just do a fresh draw for each round. This is done on computer now I believe. It is a unique format!

Are you looking for final results or round-by-round? I know of nowhere -- except on the tournament floor at DCC during the tournament -- to get all the round-by-round results.

Come on down!

mypocket

Verified Member
From
Minnesota
Dcc 1p

Dcc 1p

Hi Steve,

Do they do the draw prior to or just before the tournament?
Is there a list of who signed up for each of the events?

Thanks,

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
mypocket said:
Hi Steve,

Do they do the draw prior to or just before the tournament?
Is there a list of who signed up for each of the events?

Thanks,
They draw right after they close out the sign-ups the day that play begins. However, that is just the first draw. They completely re-draw every round to accomodate the "buy-backs" that take place by players that suffer their first loss. All players have the option of buying back one time immediately after their first loss. There is no separate "winners" or "losers" bracket -- it just one large pool :) of players. Of course the ranks thin down as the rounds advance and players are eliminated.

The other thing that can and does happen is that every round that has an odd number of players will have a "bye". That continues all the way down through the later elimination rounds, often right down to the final three players!

I believe it used to be that the byes were all random, and it was possible to draw more than one in a row! I think they *might* have changed that now, but I am not sure.

Last year the semifinal One Pocket round of three players at the end of the 400-plus event was drawn using playing cards to determine the bye. I think Jason Miller might have drawn that bye, forcing Alex and Efren to play the extra match for the honor of playing Miller in the finals. It didn't matter; Efren was unstoppable.

At the hotel they have an internal cable TV system that they use to post a scrolling list of scheduled matches. I don't believe that is accessable outside the hotel system. There are always some forfeits because players are sleeping or whatever and miss their match. The only way to completely avoid that is to check in regularly at the tournament desk, which is well-staffed and helpful. Players get about a 15 minute grace period with several announcements over the PA before they are forfeited. The PA system only covers the main tournament room, so you have to be careful if you are going to the resaraunt or action rooms or the AZ/1P room or anywhere else. Cell phones and friends are good to have to prevent forfeits too. Forfeits are nice to be on the winning side of, though :)

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
I could have sworn I remember seeing brackets for DCC. They weren't normal brackets, for the reasons Steve mentioned. The "brackets" were a long list for each round of play. In the list, they would show who played who in each respective round. Does anyone else remember this? I think it was either for 2006 or 2005 that I saw them.

One thing that sticks in my mind is that I remember reading the brackets for the Bank Pool event and following Efren. He lost a match, but did not buy himself back in. I thought that was very strange. Now, it could be that I just missed his name, but I did check the list twice to be sure.

Anyone remember these lists? I checked on the DCC site after seeing this thread and could not find them.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
iusedtoberich said:
I could have sworn I remember seeing brackets for DCC. They weren't normal brackets, for the reasons Steve mentioned. The "brackets" were a long list for each round of play. In the list, they would show who played who in each respective round. Does anyone else remember this? I think it was either for 2006 or 2005 that I saw them.

One thing that sticks in my mind is that I remember reading the brackets for the Bank Pool event and following Efren. He lost a match, but did not buy himself back in. I thought that was very strange. Now, it could be that I just missed his name, but I did check the list twice to be sure.

Anyone remember these lists? I checked on the DCC site after seeing this thread and could not find them.
Yes I remember seeing printed lists at the tournament desk, so players can see who they play and what time -- it is basically the same list that scrolls on the TV monitors. The lists I recall are pretty much disposable because they are one round at a time -- they are replaced each new round with each new draw. I have never seen printed round-by-round results, except maybe the final few rounds.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I think the story is that they have some software that does the draw each round -- hence the printed list.

Lou Figueroa

NH Steve said:
Yes I remember seeing printed lists at the tournament desk, so players can see who they play and what time -- it is basically the same list that scrolls on the TV monitors. The lists I recall are pretty much disposable because they are one round at a time -- they are replaced each new round with each new draw. I have never seen printed round-by-round results, except maybe the final few rounds.

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
Brackets DO exist here

Brackets DO exist here

I found the lists I was talking about. Go to the below AZ link, and on the right column called "Additional Info", you can see each individual round for all 3 games. The lists are in alphabetical order on the left column, and they show who won the match. Although more difficult than normal double elimination brackets, you can still follow the progress of a player. They have this for 2006 and 2007. I could not information as detailed as these lists for the earlier years.

Year 2006:
http://www.azbilliards.com/derby2006/

Year 2007:
http://www.azbilliards.com/derby2007/

Last edited: