A Great One Pocket player passes! Clem Metz

cuesmith

Verified Member
I just posted this over at AZ and thought it belongs here also.

I don't have any details yet, I'll try to post more when I get thembut I just got a call from a good friend telling me that Cincinnati Eugene "Clem" Metz one of the undisputed best one pocket players of all times passed away. He strictly a "road agent", never playing in a pool tournament but often relieving the winners of their purse after the tournament was over. I once asked Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter how he ranked Clem's game since they were of the same era, and Squirrel told me "You know, at one point I thought I could beat anyone in the world playing one pocket, EXCEPT Clem! That's about as high of praise as you can get when it comes to playing the game. Anyone have any Clem stories, post them here.

Sherm

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Clem and Vevis

Clem and Vevis

Eugene "Cincinnati Clem" Metz might have been the toughest safety player of them all. Jersey Red told the story of when Clem was playing "Connecticut Johnny" Vives (winner of the first Johnston City One-Pocket tournament). Clem and Vives had been playing for many hours. Vives had been on a starvation shot-diet, getting nothing good to shoot at during the whole session. Clem was squeezing him like a python.
Finally, Vives spots Clem looking up-table at a long bank shot. It looked like Clem was finally going to leave Vives far away, but at least leave a shot toward Johnny's pocket.
Vives nudged Jersey Red as if to say, "Lookie here, Clem is going to finally loosen up and give me a shot at my hole." Vives's hopes were soon dashed when Clem shot up-table at the long bank and drew the cue ball back into the stack!

I was probably one of the last guys to play Clem before he got busted. He was playing on the lemon in the bars in Chicago. I was playing him 8 ball in a bar on Rush St. called Nicky's. We broke even but I smelled a rat and quit. I was just a shortstop then so I tried to call in some heavy artillery to "take him off." I steered him to an all night poolroom, but unfortunately for him our backer recognized him and chastised me for being so dumb. In the words of my South Carolina backer, "Gawddamn man, that's Jesus Christ himself, Cincinnati Clem, you idjit." He was traveling with a woman who I heard was a prostitute. He got busted on the way back to Ohio under the Mann Act. They must have wanted him because that is a seldom used law.

Beard

bstroud

Verified Member
I only saw Clem play one time. It was my first trip to Johnson City.
I walked in the Backroom and Clem was playing Harry Petros from Philly even one pocket for 100.00 a game.

The only spot was that Clem had to shoot every shot BEHIND HIS BACK.
The first game I watched he ran 9 and out. Second game he ran 9 and out.
He had taken a deliberate foul both games. First time I ever saw anyone do that.

Harry played one more game-lost that and quit.

Next day I watched Wimpy give Clem the 7 playing 9 ball. Coates was staking Wimpy.
A race to 11 came down to the case game. Clem would have won but he hit the corner of the side pocket and didn't get position on the 9 ball. Wimpy had made the 7 on the break but didn't get out.

Clem pushed out for an end rail bank and Wimpy made an impossible cut for the cash.

Clem was a great player.

Bill Stroud

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Last I had heard, both Clem and -- amazingly! -- his mother were both living, possibly in the same nursing home. There was an article a few years back about his mother -- the oldest resident of Ohio at that time, celebrating something like her 108th birthday...

Clem is one player I never got to interview. I tried.

I learned from Donny Anderson that Donny, Clem and Joey Spaeth were all three very close in age and all three became strong players as teenagers. They even traveled together a little. You can read Donny's interview, just a little ways into it we talked about Clem:

http://www.onepocket.org/DonAndersonInterview.htm

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Slick as they come.

Slick as they come.

I first met Clem when I was 19 years old, he came to Pittsburgh to meet the Jockey and do some hustling around Pittsburgh. The Jockey said to me that Clem was coming to town, I said who is Clem? Jockey said that Clem was the best one pocket player in the country, and played behind his back as good as anyone ever did.

Clem arrived a few days later, and when he met Jockey I was there to greet him. He was a good looking guy dressed to the max, Italian nit sweater, mohair slacks, alligator shoes, and a sleek jacket with it's own belt. I was in awe when I saw him, he was the picture that I envisioned of a true hustler.

Jockey said that there was a guy who owned a pool room in Little Washington, (a small town on the outskirts of Pittsburgh) that played 9 ball and liked to gamble. But first we would take a ride to Jockeys home town Union Town Pa. where Jockey said that there was a guy that would play for decent $. On the way to Union Town Clem broke out this bag of weed, rolled a joint and asked me if I wanted a hit. I had never smoked weed before and didn't want to look like a square so I said ok. He said that it was Chicago Green a brand of weed that was kick ass. We were about 10 minuted from Union Town when I started to smoke, I only smoked maybe 3 or 4 hits and when we arrived at the pool room Jockey got out and went inside. We waited about 10 minutes and Clem said to me, "go in and see what he's doing" I opened the back door of the car and stepped out and realozed that I couldn't walk straight. I tried to organize myself cause I didn't want to look like a square and managed to go inside the pool room. Once I got inside I leaned against the wall and couldn't speak, fortunately the Jockey was leaving and said to me "are you alright?" I didn't answer and turned around and left the pool room with him. I managed to get into the back seat of the car and remained silent.Clem continued to smoke with the Jockey and I passed. Clem at that point realized that I was a first time smoker and had a good laugh with the Jockey at my expense.

We then traveled to Little Washington where Clem played the guy that owned the pool room and I went down the street to play some cheap 9 ball with some other kids.Clem broke about even with the guy playing 9 ball and asked him to play one pocket, the guy said that he didn't know how to play one pocket and Clem explained how to play the game. They played a couple of games and the guy quit and said i've had enough. Clem than said that he would shoot all his shots behind his back and play him even. It was an offer he couldn't refuse. Clem beat him for around $300 and he quit.

They came down to the pool room that I was playing in and watched me play a few games before our game broke up. I was nervous that Clem was watching me play but I managed to run out the last game before they quit.
When we got into the car Clem asked me what I did, I said that I won $45 and gave him the money. We drove back to Pittsburgh where Clem dropped both me and the Jockey off at my house, and then he left. I said to the Jockey what about our end? The Jockey didn't have an answer and the next time I saw Clem was about 30 years later at a tournament, he didn't look like he was doing well. I asked him if he remembered me and he said yes, and I was very happy with his answer. I never did ask him about my end of the money won, I just continued doing what I do, playing pool.

Billy I.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Great story Billy! I'm sure that brings back a lot of memories, with it being the 1st time you imbibed on the weed and all too.:D Winning $45 on a first time high is pretty good.

RIP Clem.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Clem and the South Side Black Belt

Clem and the South Side Black Belt

When I was a kid there were many poolrooms on the South Side of Chicago in what was then known as the "Black Belt." There must have been a jillion world beaters that hung out in the different rooms. Up until I was finally able to start beating guys down there -- and I couldnt beat anybody for the first couple years -- there had been only three white players that had played there and won the money. It was an impressive list: Eddie Taylor, Billy "Corn Bread Red" Burge, and Eugene "Clem" Metz. The game there was one pocket or banks, exclusively.
As an aside, there was a three cushion player down there named, Richard "Baby Brother" Powell. He played top-notch billiards and would bet big money. He was unbeatable on the South Side and drew zero challengers there. In the 50's he couldn't play in the big tournaments because of his color, but he would go on the road periodically and take on all comers and usually took down the cheese. At that time, few people could believe a black man could play three cushion that well. He was a gentleman player and regarded as the class act of the South Side. The black South Side in the 50's and 60's was like pool fantasyland to me. You could get action until you fell over.
I brought Jersey Red to 58th st. once, and they lined up to play him -- and knew who he was. When Red left the poolroom the list of white winners still remained at three.

Beard

lfigueroa

Verified Member
wincardona said:
I first met Clem when I was 19 years old, he came to Pittsburgh to meet the Jockey and do some hustling around Pittsburgh. The Jockey said to me that Clem was coming to town, I said who is Clem? Jockey said that Clem was the best one pocket player in the country, and played behind his back as good as anyone ever did.

Clem arrived a few days later, and when he met Jockey I was there to greet him. He was a good looking guy dressed to the max, Italian nit sweater, mohair slacks, alligator shoes, and a sleek jacket with it's own belt. I was in awe when I saw him, he was the picture that I envisioned of a true hustler.

Jockey said that there was a guy who owned a pool room in Little Washington, (a small town on the outskirts of Pittsburgh) that played 9 ball and liked to gamble. But first we would take a ride to Jockeys home town Union Town Pa. where Jockey said that there was a guy that would play for decent $. On the way to Union Town Clem broke out this bag of weed, rolled a joint and asked me if I wanted a hit. I had never smoked weed before and didn't want to look like a square so I said ok. He said that it was Chicago Green a brand of weed that was kick ass. We were about 10 minuted from Union Town when I started to smoke, I only smoked maybe 3 or 4 hits and when we arrived at the pool room Jockey got out and went inside. We waited about 10 minutes and Clem said to me, "go in and see what he's doing" I opened the back door of the car and stepped out and realozed that I couldn't walk straight. I tried to organize myself cause I didn't want to look like a square and managed to go inside the pool room. Once I got inside I leaned against the wall and couldn't speak, fortunately the Jockey was leaving and said to me "are you alright?" I didn't answer and turned around and left the pool room with him. I managed to get into the back seat of the car and remained silent.Clem continued to smoke with the Jockey and I passed. Clem at that point realized that I was a first time smoker and had a good laugh with the Jockey at my expense.

We then traveled to Little Washington where Clem played the guy that owned the pool room and I went down the street to play some cheap 9 ball with some other kids.Clem broke about even with the guy playing 9 ball and asked him to play one pocket, the guy said that he didn't know how to play one pocket and Clem explained how to play the game. They played a couple of games and the guy quit and said i've had enough. Clem than said that he would shoot all his shots behind his back and play him even. It was an offer he couldn't refuse. Clem beat him for around $300 and he quit.

They came down to the pool room that I was playing in and watched me play a few games before our game broke up. I was nervous that Clem was watching me play but I managed to run out the last game before they quit.
When we got into the car Clem asked me what I did, I said that I won $45 and gave him the money. We drove back to Pittsburgh where Clem dropped both me and the Jockey off at my house, and then he left. I said to the Jockey what about our end? The Jockey didn't have an answer and the next time I saw Clem was about 30 years later at a tournament, he didn't look like he was doing well. I asked him if he remembered me and he said yes, and I was very happy with his answer. I never did ask him about my end of the money won, I just continued doing what I do, playing pool.

Billy I.

*Nice.*

Lou Figueroa
Billy must be
writing a book

lfigueroa

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
When I was a kid there were many poolrooms on the South Side of Chicago in what was then known as the "Black Belt." There must have been a jillion world beaters that hung out in the different rooms. Up until I was finally able to start beating guys down there -- and I couldnt beat anybody for the first couple years -- there had been only three white players that had played there and won the money. It was an impressive list: Eddie Taylor, Billy "Corn Bread Red" Burge, and Eugene "Clem" Metz. The game there was one pocket or banks, exclusively.
As an aside, there was a three cushion player down there named, Richard "Baby Brother" Powell. He played top-notch billiards and would bet big money. He was unbeatable on the South Side and drew zero challengers there. In the 50's he couldn't play in the big tournaments because of his color, but he would go on the road periodically and take on all comers and usually took down the cheese. At that time, few people could believe a black man could play three cushion that well. He was a gentleman player and regarded as the class act of the South Side. The black South Side in the 50's and 60's was like pool fantasyland to me. You could get action until you fell over.
I brought Jersey Red to 58th st. once, and they lined up to play him -- and knew who he was. When Red left the poolroom the list of white winners still remained at three.

Beard

Nice turn of phrase, Freddy: "When Red left the poolroom the list of white winners still remained at three."

Lou Figueroa
when did this place
turn into a game of "Authors"

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Artie,

this thread is about the passing of a pool player.
you can create your own thread if you want to dispute somebody.

I think we owe our fellow pool brothers that respect.

Thanks

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
CaliRed said:
Artie,

this thread is about the passing of a pool player.
you can create your own thread if you want to dispute somebody.

I think we owe our fellow pool brothers that respect.

Thanks

Well said, Greg.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Redirection

Redirection

Ok, I will redirect back to Clem. One thing Clem was famous for, and he did it better than anybody, was when he shot a guys ball away from his hole he would do a little extra. If the ball was a few inches off the short rail near the pocket, and needed to be shot away some three rails or so, and Clem would be length of the table away near the back rail, he would shoot the ball away and stop the cue ball -- kinda. Because the cue ball would drizzle forward an inch or two and freeze to the rail. All this on a five by ten. The only other guy I knew that hit this shot close to that good on a five by ten, was Chicago's Pony Rosen. I practiced it relentlessly myself and got to where I could hit it good once in awhile. It is a very strong safety shot and very frustrating. I havent noticed any of todays players doing it, at least not on purpose.

Freddy

The poolroom AB and BS are talking about was Bob Akins room on 64th and Cottage Grove. It was the room used in the Color of Money called "Chalkies."
Akins played himself in the movie. I happen to own the Gold Crown that Paul Newman played on in the movie. I played Strawberry Brooks an all-niter in there once. I was getting staked by Sugar Shack Johnny and I won around 10k. (This for the beat list inspectors: we were playing even, and I came ahead around 20 games.)
This room wasn't open yet when Clem was playing Cannonball. They played at the House of Champs on 51st and Indiana, also on Lefties home court on the West Side on the 4 x 8's, and on the white hillbilly North Side at Sheridan and Wilson.

It was at the House of Champs that Eddie Taylor was supposed to play Bugs. Like Artie said, Taylor backed out saying he was sick. The real story was that Weanie Beanie was supposed to stake Taylor but he got scared of the heist and decided not to. I was there and Taylor told me the story. Taylor ended up playing Hank Montague (New York Hank) a few games of one pocket or bank pool, I have forgotten which, for $50 game, just to give up a little action betting his own cheese. They played about 4 games and won 2 each and that was it. They played on a 5 x 10.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
fred bentivegna said:
Ok, I will redirect back to Clem. One thing Clem was famous for, and he did it better than anybody, was when he shot a guys ball away from his hole he would do a little extra. If the ball was a few inches off the short rail near the pocket, and needed to be shot away some three rails or so, and Clem would be length of the table away near the back rail, he would shoot the ball away and stop the cue ball -- kinda. Because the cue ball would drizzle forward an inch or two and freeze to the rail. All this on a five by ten. The only other guy I knew that hit this shot close to that good on a five by ten, was Chicago's Pony Rosen. I practiced it relentlessly myself and got to where I could hit it good once in awhile. It is a very strong safety shot and very frustrating. I havent noticed any of todays players doing it, at least not on purpose.

Freddy

The poolroom AB and BS are talking about was Bob Akins room on 64th and Cottage Grove. It was the room used in the Color of Money called "Chalkies."
Akins played himself in the movie. I happen to own the Gold Crown that Paul Newman played on in the movie. I played Strawberry Brooks an all-niter in there once. I was getting staked by Sugar Shack Johnny and I won around 10k. (This for the beat list inspectors: we were playing even, and I came ahead around 20 games.)
This room wasn't open yet when Clem was playing Cannonball. They played at the House of Champs on 51st and Indiana, also on Lefties home court on the West Side on the 4 x 8's, and on the white hillbilly North Side at Sheridan and Wilson.

It was at the House of Champs that Eddie Taylor was supposed to play Bugs. Like Artie said, Taylor backed out saying he was sick. The real story was that Weanie Beanie was supposed to stake Taylor but he got scared of the heist and decided not to. I was there and Taylor told me the story. Taylor ended up playing Hank Montague (New York Hank) a few games of one pocket or bank pool, I have forgotten which, for $50 game, just to give up a little action betting his own cheese. They played about 4 games and won 2 each and that was it. They played on a 5 x 10.

When I was with Clem and the Jockey Clem showed me one shot that he was particularly proud of, and he said that this shot was as strong as a shot that you could learn. I will share with everyone the shot he was referring to.

Quite often in various situations you will have the shot where there will be a ball positioned on your opponents side of the table near the side rail below the side pocket near his hole. The ball could be anywhere from 12" to 36" up the rail from his pocket, and anywhere from 6" to 12" away from the side rail. The cue ball could be positioned somewhat parallel with the object ball. Clem would kick the side rail first than strike the ball and play both ball and cue ball. With developing a feel for this shot it would give you the ability to not only get out of trouble but reverse certain situations that no other shot would offer.

This is a very strong shot playing one pocket that must be practiced to develop the feel for hitting it accurately. Practice this shot with positioning the object ball at different distances from the side rail. Great shot.

Billy I.

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
Great story Billy! I'm sure that brings back a lot of memories, with it being the 1st time you imbibed on the weed and all too.:D Winning $45 on a first time high is pretty good.

RIP Clem.
That's a good story ..after takin a few tokes playin at all is pretty stout

bstroud

Verified Member
Billy I,

Good shot.

This is a shot where one of the "Tickie" rail first 3C systems works very well.
Also the Mirror system.

Bill Stroud

SE10player

I would love to see this shot Diagramed out along with any others that Clem showed or loved to shoot. And thanks for all the great stories of Clem and other legends, as new player it makes me wish i was there.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:
When I was with Clem and the Jockey Clem showed me one shot that he was particularly proud of, and he said that this shot was as strong as a shot that you could learn. I will share with everyone the shot he was referring to.

Quite often in various situations you will have the shot where there will be a ball positioned on your opponents side of the table near the side rail below the side pocket near his hole. The ball could be anywhere from 12" to 36" up the rail from his pocket, and anywhere from 6" to 12" away from the side rail. The cue ball could be positioned somewhat parallel with the object ball. Clem would kick the side rail first than strike the ball and play both ball and cue ball. With developing a feel for this shot it would give you the ability to not only get out of trouble but reverse certain situations that no other shot would offer.

This is a very strong shot playing one pocket that must be practiced to develop the feel for hitting it accurately. Practice this shot with positioning the object ball at different distances from the side rail. Great shot.

Billy I.
thanks for sharing that

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
wincardona said:

Billy I.
You mean something like this? That would be very strong to be able to have great control over both OB and CB and be able to yield positive results on one inning on a consistent basis. Would you say he had a uncanny ability like a Efren does?

I suppose every onepocket player probably has a particular type of shot, that for some reason, they get very good at. Sounds like Clem was very good at kicking into a ball outside of the zone we probably consider safe to do so, and had great control over what the OB and CB were going to do. Also, as Freddy mentions... the ability to take out a guys ball from 9 ft away with some force and stun the cueball so good, he could get it to stop it's forward momentum and have just a revolution or 2 left, so he could nestle up to the rail or another ball. From that distance, that's a wet dream to be able to kill/stun the ball that good:)

Is this even close, Billy? Or at least the basic idea?

Edit out WEI, look down further

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
CaliRed said:
You mean something like this? That would be very strong to be able to have great control over both OB and CB and be able to yield positive results on one inning on a consistent basis. Would you say he had a uncanny ability like a Efren does?

I suppose every onepocket player probably has a particular type of shot, that for some reason, they get very good at. Sounds like Clem was very good at kicking into a ball outside of the zone we probably consider safe to do so, and had great control over what the OB and CB were going to do. Also, as Freddy mentions... the ability to take out a guys ball from 9 ft away with some force and stun the cueball so good, he could get it to stop it's forward momentum and have just a revolution or 2 left, so he could nestle up to the rail or another ball. From that distance, that's a wet dream to be able to kill/stun the ball that good:)

Is this even close, Billy? Or at least the basic idea?
[CueTable]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AALW4BMeo3CCpD3DDOn3EBJl4FAdA3GAln3HBKO4IBKW4JBDp3KRLb3LUlf3MQOa3NXXr3PIMF4UALW4UAkS4UDNC3WCpD3WATv3WAcx4aAdA4aGAE4aKYJ4dBKW4dTXn3gUlf3gEtH3iXXr3iXuT3iSHR3iRcq3iXXq3kIMF3kbAS3kWYf3kSjd4qYGPYour_Hole&ZZ3rVEpOpponents_Hole&ZZ3sbgJBalls_he's_moving__roughly_in_this_area.__He's_doing_these_types_of_shots_with_great_control_and_doing_something_positive_with_both_the_object_ball_and_the_cueball,_all_in_one_shot.&ZZ@[/CueTable]

Greg, that's not the angle I was referring to, if you reposition the cue ball more toward the head of the table where you would be straight in on the 12 ball then you would kick to the side rail and hit the inside of the 12 ball and force the cue ball to the same rail you kicked off of. That would be the type of a kick I am referring to.

Billy I.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
wincardona said:
Greg, that's not the angle I was referring to, if you reposition the cue ball more toward the head of the table where you would be straight in on the 12 ball then you would kick to the side rail and hit the inside of the 12 ball and force the cue ball to the same rail you kicked off of. That would be the type of a kick I am referring to.

Billy I.

Ok, I edited my original post... does that look more in line with what you're talking about?

Note to self: I should know better then to try and interpret the good Dr.... I DO NOT want him to think I'm a moron.:D:eek::p