Ghost's Shot Choice #12

Put_upor_shutup

Rod, to me it's very hard not to shoot the 1 ball, considering the make % and your ability to control the cue ball off the shot. Choosing the 11 ball bank first is certainly a sacrifice of at least a ball, plus your running out possibilities is lessened by not ending up with the angle on the 13 ball to open up the cluster of balls to increase your chance of running out.

Billy I.

Im thinkin if his banking percentage is that high he might as well go on and win the game...ha ha I thought he could float the 11 and lag his nugget just above the side if that ball in front of the other guys poclet doesnt go...U think the 11 is to risky?
I guess if the risk is not worth it..Just fire that 1 in and go collect your cecils..

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I'd shoot the 1 ball cross-corner. If I make it and don't like my shot at the 13 I'd remove the 12 ball, score 4-4. If I miss it it's not my problem anymore. What's so hard to figure out? This ain't rocket science.

TABLE%203.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I'd shoot the 1 ball cross-corner. If I make it and don't like my shot at the 13 I'd remove the 12 ball, score 4-4. If I miss it it's not my problem anymore. What's so hard to figure out? This ain't rocket science.

View attachment 5052
Dennis, the way I understand the angle to be on the 1 ball is, either you play a softer speed and play position for the 13 ball, or follow to the rail and then take out the 12 ball. The reason there's a choice is because to protect against the return shot on the 12 ball..if bank is missed...you must follow to the rail. So your decision isn't to shoot and then decide, it's to decide before you shoot. Understanding the choice with the 1 ball bank the question is, are you going to bank the 1 ball and play position for the 13 ball with the risk of missing and leaving a shot on the 12 ball, or are you not?

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Dennis, the way I understand the angle to be on the 1 ball is, either you play a softer speed and play position for the 13 ball, or follow to the rail and then take out the 12 ball. The reason there's a choice is because to protect against the return shot on the 12 ball..if bank is missed...you must follow to the rail. So your decision isn't to shoot and then decide, it's to decide before you shoot. Understanding the choice with the 1 ball bank the question is, are you going to bank the 1 ball and play position for the 13 ball with the risk of missing and leaving a shot on the 12 ball, or are you not?

Billy I.

Oh, I see, in that case I'd shoot the 1 ball cross-corner. If I make it and don't like my shot at the 13 I'd remove the 12 ball, score 4-4. If I miss it it's not my problem anymore. What's so hard to figure out? This ain't rocket science.:D

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Oh, I see, in that case I'd shoot the 1 ball cross-corner. If I make it and don't like my shot at the 13 I'd remove the 12 ball, score 4-4. If I miss it it's not my problem anymore. What's so hard to figure out? This ain't rocket science.:D

Dennis
Ok, I get you, your going to do what you think is best,:frus right? :)

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Ok, I get you, your going to do what you think is best,:frus right? :)

Billy I.

I kinda thought that was the point Bill:D. I don't care what anyone else would do, only what I would do. Maybe I didn't read close enough, were we limited only to the choices the Ghost posted? Oh well:p.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
...you'all have landed on a shot that I teach all my OnePocket pupils. I never see anybody but me ever shoot it. (Bugs was an exception, but he is dead. That just leaves me)

I am however, going to be a pill and not release. I'm choosing to avoid all the usual astute criticisms that would of course, follow.

Beard

The main reason, actually, is I dont want to look at in DCC with the Ghost or John H shooting it against me.
Ok, we've waited long enough to hear your secret shot that only you shoot, now that Bugs has passed. I wanted to get back with you before this thread got completely buried. What's up?:D

Plus I would like to know what our pal The Ghost shot from this position, we'll be facing him in a couple of weeks.

Billy I.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
were we limited only to the choices the Ghost posted? Oh well :p.

Dennis

Of course not!...everybody was more than welcome to post their choice of, oh let's say, banking the 13ball cross-corner, or the 3ball straight back, rather then the shot options that I listed...:lol

- Gh:cool:st

PS, What's with the "Oh well" - you did choose one of the shots I posted...:heh

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
John Henderson is right, as usual. Bank the 1 ball and leave the cb frozen on the 5 ball, protecting both pockets. If the 1 falls, bank the 11 into the cluster and leave the cb on the long rail near the 4 ball.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Plus I would like to know what our pal The Ghost shot from this position, we'll be facing him in a couple of weeks.

Billy I.

Well, I know some people are proponents of playing the same serious way/choosing the same shots, whether the game is sociable or serious....that's probably the best way to be, but I can't do it...

I guess because at heart, I'm a gofer like Rod :) and I want the fun of shooting at my hole....so if I'm playing cheap, I'll indulge myself and play more wide open - but if it's a serious game, I play a safer style of game...that said...

I guess John and I will make good partners, because in a serious game, I believe I would choose the same shot option that John posted that he would choose >>>

I would bank the one with stun and freeze on the cluster. If I made it my next shot would be to bank the three.

But the other day when this came up, I was just playing sociable for $20 a game, so I made a different choice - I banked the 1 and tried to see if I could play perfect speed - meaning, shooting a shot halfway between these two options that I listed in my first post >>>

I could roll it in, and have the cueball roll safely almost to the long rail (so if
the bank hangs up, I won't sell out the 12 ball) but from there, if I want to shoot the cut shot on the 13 next, it is not a sure thing - could be a win or lose shot to shoot.......or...

I could gamble on making the 1 for sure - roll in the bank, let the cueball stop halfway to the long rail, and have a cinch breakout shot on the 13 next...if I hang the bank, I'll be leaving him an easy shot on the 12 - but I'll be gambling that he won't get more than two balls, because the cluster-balls don't go in his pocket, and the 3ball doesn't pass the 11, so he can't play top to bottom position from the 3 - although he could get more than two by breaking up the cluster, or playing position for a short cross-corner bank.....

- Ghost

I banked the one, wanting to roll exactly 3/4ths of the way to the long rail, leaving the cueball about 4" from the long rail - just to the point where he couldn't quite cut the 12 in, of if he could, it would be just barely makeable, to where he wouldn't be able to control the cue ball, and he also might have the scatch angle straight down the long rail - and I would then have a not too difficult cut on the 13 ball, if I make the bank...

It turned out that I made the bank, and made the 13 next, but ended up with no position on the 8 for another shot because I hit it a little thicker than I thought I would, sending it over to the long rail and leaving it an an angle that was a little too high to cut it in....so I then took out his 12 ball.

- Ghost

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Well, I know some people are proponents of playing the same serious way/choosing the same shots, whether the game is sociable or serious....that's probably the best way to be, but I can't do it...

I guess because at heart, I'm a gofer like Rod ... and I want the fun of shooting at my hole....so if I'm playing cheap, I'll indulge myself and play more wide open - but if it's a serious game, I play a safer style of game...that said...I guess John and I will make good partners, because in a serious game, I believe I would choose the same shot option that John posted that he would choose >>>

But the other day when this came up, I was just playing sociable for $20 a game, so I made a different choice - I banked the 1 and tried to see if I could play perfect speed - meaning, shooting a shot halfway between these two options that I listed in my first post >>>

I banked the one, wanting to roll exactly 3/4ths of the way to the long rail, leaving the cueball about 4" from the long rail - just to the point where he couldn't quite cut the 12 in, of if he could, it would be just barely makeable, to where he wouldn't be able to control the cue ball, and he also might have the scatch angle straight down the long rail - and I would then have a not too difficult cut on the 13 ball, if I make the bank...

It turned out that I made the bank, and made the 13 next, but somehow ended up with no position on the 8 or the 5 for another shot, and so I then took out his 12 ball.

- Ghost

Congratulatons Ghoatsy..Thats exactly what I would have done...The only thing different, is after making the 1 ball, and the 13, I would have made SURE I had shape on the next ball..(right Doctor ?)...Meaning, I am OUT !...Faint hearted bunting, is for wimps...:eek:...Go for the gusto.. I'm starting to have second thoughts about taking you and JH, to beat FB and BI...I may need odds on the money....

Please know, this is a very SERIOUS post, unless of course, you 'DECAPITATE' Dr. Bill..:eek:...Then, with only Beardo left...it is "GAME ON"..! (don't forget to take the $$$ out of Billie's pocket)

PS...This is exactly why I would have destroyed you, had I been able to make our match a few years ago !!!... No Chicagoan, can overcome 'West Coast' offense...:cool: (not even AB)

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Congratulatons Ghoatsy..Thats exactly what I would have done...The only thing different, is after making the 1 ball, and the 13, I would have made SURE I had shape on the next ball..(right Doctor ?)...Meaning, I am OUT !...Faint hearted bunting, is for wimps...:eek:...Go for the gusto.. I'm starting to have second thoughts about taking you and JH, to beat FB and BI...I may need odds on the money....

Please know, this is a very SERIOUS post, unless of course, you 'DECAPITATE' Dr. Bill..:eek:...Then it is "GAME ON"..!

PS...This is exactly why I would have destroyed you, had I been able to make our match a few years ago !!!... No Chicagoan, can overcome 'West Coast' offense...:cool:
Don't get weak on me now Dick, Freddie and I need the money, and showing weakness will only dishearten your team. Relax and give The Ghost a little encouragement, and don't forget to send some text messages while we're playing...that always helps..

Dr. Bill

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Don't get weak on me now Dick, Freddie and I need the money, and showing weakness will only dishearten your team. Relax and give The Ghost a little encouragement, and don't forget to send some text messages while we're playing...that always helps..

Dr. Bill

You're right of course Dr...If this is streamed, can I text Ghoat's the correct shot ??? If I can, I'm back in..;)

PS..I am just concerned, that you have a 'shortstop'... in with three seasoned professionals !..:frus...John H. can only do so much you know...He has a bad back now too...:cool:

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Congratulatons Ghoatsy..Thats exactly what I would have done........I'm starting to have second thoughts about taking you and JH, to beat FB and BI...I may need odds on the money....

Hey Sybil, aka ding dong/dim bulb/not the sharpest knife in the drawer :D:p make sense will you..:rolleyes:..First you congratulate me for shooting the same shot that you would have shot - then two sentences later you want to back off of betting on John and I...:rolleyes:

- Gh:cool:sty

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Sybil ???? WTF

Sybil ???? WTF

Hey Sybil, aka ding dong/dim bulb/not the sharpest knife in the drawer :D make sense will you...First you congratulate me for shooting the same shot that you would have shot - then two sentences later you want to back off of betting on John and I...

- Gh:cool:sty

Sorry Gh:cool:atsy,

Just to clarify, I meant I would bank the one, (as you did) but I would also shoot it firm enough, to get the right angle
to break out the other two balls near the 13, and run out...!

I am sure your #3 "moving ranking (in Chicago) is still safe, I just want to see a little more agression at running balls,
from my horses.>>>GO L.P. and J.H. :) (remember I have huge $$$ bet with AB)

(How was that Dr. Bill ?..Did I let him down easy enough, without hurting his feeler's).:p

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Sorry Gh:cool:atsy,

Just to clarify, I meant I would bank the one, (as you did) but I would also shoot it firm enough, to get the right angle
to break out the other two balls near the 13, and run out...!

I am sure your #3 "moving ranking (in Chicago) is still safe, I just want to see a little more agression at running balls,
from my horses.>>>GO L.P. and J.H. :) (remember I have huge $$$ bet with AB)

(How was that Dr. Bill ?..Did I let him down easy enough, without hurting his feeler's).:p
There's never been a question, at least not in my mind that you've always been an upper echelon player. The Chicago boys are good, their real good, but as long as your around....'their second best'.....

Dr. Bill

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Ah, wont make any difference

Ah, wont make any difference

Ok, we've waited long enough to hear your secret shot that only you shoot, now that Bugs has passed. I wanted to get back with you before this thread got completely buried. What's up?:D

Billy I.

Only a few will pay attn anyway. Everybody else will say they have been doing it for years. (Of course so far no one has suggested it. 20 minutes trying to get the diagram posted. No use. Clik on the link.)
The shot is to use a stun stroke, level cue, firm speed, 1/2 tip above center. The bank is a natural hanger. Cant make it, play straight pool instead. Almost full in the face, tiny cut to the left. The cue ball will move slowly thru the object ball, glance slightly off of the 5 ball, which opens up the four ball cluster slightly, with the cue ball caroming 6 to 8 inches forward and behind the open balls. This shot works from all nearly full ball angles.
Now before somebody jumps in and says the angle is dead straight on and cant be cut to the left at all, if that be the case, one tip of added left hand english will take care of that scenario, and everything will still work.
You do this and your oppo's bung hole will pucker up like it was laced with lemon.

Too risky? Anybody want to compare this to those 9 ft straight backs that the whole forum apparently likes to shoot?

Beard

http://pool.bz/P/?@3ACGl2CBHe1DJdc3...LUvf3MAUG4PHty3QKnQ4kHty4kHtx3lKnQ3lCft4lFYw@

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
Well, I'm glad you posted that, Fred, because I have been doing it for years. ;) I thought that changing the angle of the bank slightly in order to send the cb on a desired line made me an idiot banker who didn't know how to play unnatural shape off an equal angle in-and-out bank. Of course, like most of the shots I know, it was an accidental discovery .

Skin

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Only a few will pay attn anyway. Everybody else will say they have been doing it for years. (Of course so far no one has suggested it. 20 minutes trying to get the diagram posted. No use. Clik on the link.)
The shot is to use a stun stroke, level cue, firm speed, 1/2 tip above center. The bank is a natural hanger. Cant make it, play straight pool instead. Almost full in the face, tiny cut to the left. The cue ball will move slowly thru the object ball, glance slightly off of the 5 ball, which opens up the four ball cluster slightly, with the cue ball caroming 6 to 8 inches forward and behind the open balls. This shot works from all nearly full ball angles.
Now before somebody jumps in and says the angle is dead straight on and cant be cut to the left at all, if that be the case, one tip of added left hand english will take care of that scenario, and everything will still work.
You do this and your oppo's bung hole will pucker up like it was laced with lemon.

Too risky? Anybody want to compare this to those 9 ft straight backs that the whole forum apparently likes to shoot?

Beard

BHe1DJdc3ECXD3HBaS4KISD4LUvf3MAcr3PLtC3UCGl4Ubgy3UVlS3UWKT3kLtC3kECf3kDlg@3Aalf2CBHe1DJdc3ECoL3HBRh4KISD4LUvf3MAUG4PHty3QKnQ4kHty4kHtx3lKnQ3lCft4lFYw@[/url]

Your shot is shot by many players, especially bank pool players, the slight cut will transfer helping or hold up english onto the object ball which will enable you to change the direction of the cue ball ..'slightly'.. But you need to be experienced with shots like this one because the firm speed will shorten the angle, lots of things are going on with this shot.

In regard to this shot, shooting it with this technique, I don't believe your going to move the 5 ball enough to open up the balls, your shot imo aids you in staying in line for the next shot, more than it does to open up the balls, after brushing the 5 ball.

Good advice, thanks for sharing.

Billy I.

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Didnt need much movement

Didnt need much movement

Your shot is shot by many players, especially bank pool players, the slight cut will transfer helping or hold up english onto the object ball which will enable you to change the direction of the cue ball ..'slightly'.. But you need to be experienced with shots like this one because the firm speed will shorten the angle, lots of things are going on with this shot.

In regard to this shot, shooting it with this technique, I don't believe your going to move the 5 ball enough to open up the balls, your shot imo aids you in staying in line for the next shot, more than it does to open up the balls, after brushing the 5 ball.

Good advice, thanks for sharing.

Billy I.

The bottom ball was already open, so not much was needed to get 'em open anyway. The main thing was to get behind them with a good angle.
The shot scares a lot of people off because they dont analyze it objectively -- as is the case with many "trick" or home run shots.

If you had the shot in bank pool you wouldnt be worrying about missing and giving up a shot. You would have little concern about missing and just be glad that you had this shot to start off with.

Beard

If people think its a hanger they will shoot it like its a hanger.