Bankshot scenario

unoperro

Verified Member
If the cueball is where the 1,2,3,4 do you hit the 1 rail bank the same for each position?
I think left english for 1 and 2 . No english for 3 and 4?

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
No english required for any of them unless playing shape.

Isn't there a fix for those diamond pocket spots on those balls

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
No English required. Right English would tend to aid in pocketing, but you will naturally be getting it by cutting the ball in that fashion. No need to apply English.

unoperro

Verified Member
Doesnt left english help twist the ball back?

As for the black marks, they reoccur as you fire em in the hole!:D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Doesnt left english help twist the ball back?

As for the black marks, they reoccur as you fire em in the hole!:D

I would imagine it's different for everybody. I use a 1/2 ball hit and a tip of right hand English to help negate the "collision induced English" from the hit.

P.S. A little more English on 3 & 4

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Bankshot scenario

I would imagine it's different for everybody. I use a 1/2 ball hit and a tip of right hand English to help negate the "collision induced English" from the hit.

Figures 😜. Freddy talks about favoring banks this way in his books too since it "makes the pocket bigger". As usual, you are the man.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky

Why, Rod? To me, the collision-induced English is helpful in pocketing the bank. In my experience, most seem to be in favor of even *increasing* the collision-induced English, particularly where the ball is shot at pocket speed. Lmk your thoughts!

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Why, Rod? To me, the collision-induced English is helpful in pocketing the bank. In my experience, most seem to be in favor of even *increasing* the collision-induced English, particularly where the ball is shot at pocket speed. Lmk your thoughts!

The reason I said it's likely different for everyone is my stroke induces a little too much CIE. Maybe it's because I strike down a little more than some. I use 1/2 ball hits for many banks and have learned to adjust with English instead of changing the contact point.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
The reason I said it's likely different for everyone is my stroke induces a little too much CIE. Maybe it's because I strike down a little more than some. I use 1/2 ball hits for many banks and have learned to adjust with English instead of changing the contact point.

Gotcha. Lotta different ways to make a bank, that's for sure!

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
The CB positions #3 & #4 have to be 'contacted less than half-full!'

View attachment 13454

By applying 2 O'clock English and contacting the OB thinner than 1/2 ball 'CIE' produces more of a 'perpendicular angle' off the cushion for the OB! Helping the 'angle into the pocket!'

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

Rod

I happen to agree with Dan. I look for the CEI to turn the ball into the pocket going cross corner.

But, I'm curious about your method? How do you maintain a half ball hit from position 1 thru 4 when the angle changes so much? Don't you end up pocketing the OB in the wrong hole if you simply do that, and don't adjust the contact point?:confused:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Rod

I happen to agree with Dan. I look for the CEI to turn the ball into the pocket going cross corner.

But, I'm curious about your method? How do you maintain a half ball hit from position 1 thru 4 when the angle changes so much? Don't you end up pocketing the OB in the wrong hole if you simply do that, and don't adjust the contact point?:confused:

Well I don't use a stiff shaft, so the added English that I mentioned for #'s 3 & 4 probably deflects the CB enough to change where I strike the OB. I am aiming at 1/2 half ball but probably not where I strike it. Hope this makes some sense.

I naturally shoot shots different ways to play safe or position.

P.S. After thinking about #'s 3 & 4, I often draw these shots to increase CIE and this would require a thinner hit.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Rod

100% CORRECT, Moose!

In #3 & #4 the ob has to be 'contacted less than 1/2 ball!' When the 2 O'clock English is applied, the OB will carom off the cushion more, 'Perpendicular' that angle will, 'Open the pocket' better to receive the ball!

unoperro

Verified Member
Maybe Rob can tell us how to play this bank when you are drawing your rock 4 or more rails?;)

John Brumback

Verified Member
I like straight top on say the tables at the dcc,(with new cloth)

On that worn cloth tho,you might need a little helping hand of left.

With that shot it all depends on how the rails play (soft) ( hard) springy and so forth,imo.

On alot of the GC's I have played on,for some reason that ball wants to come back up the table,so I would use a little left if that's the case.

:sorry I have no clear answer.... John B.

unoperro

Verified Member
Thanks JB.
I understand using right if the object ball was higher.
I am with you on left on this one..I do believe left isnt as helpfull
from positions 3 +4.