Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2019, 02:59 PM
Verified Member

Default WWYD - Chicago Fats vs Random Ray at Chris' Billiards

Ok. So I walk in and there isn't much one hole action. I am watching a couple of younger players battling on table 1.
On table 2 there are two older guys playing cheap and one wants to quit but is in the middle of the set. Anyhow they finish the set and Random Ray(nice older gentlemen I never seen hit a ball) still wants to play. I told I will play him. He says he can't play even so I ask the Mexican Paul the owner what I need to give him. He says I don't know, but I give him 12 - 6. So I say ok Ray... you got 12 - 6. He says rackem up. I have never given that big of a spot to anyone in my life. This was a guy I knew I was better than but who knows by how much.

Anyhow, we are now playing a race to 3 which will result in me being stuck 100 if I lose. So it was fun to me.
We are hill hill.... you are shooting to the top left pocket in the first picture. He has a ball almost hanging in his pocket.
The ball count is 5 - 3 in your favor. If you leave him a shot he probably runs 3 85% of the time.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:57 PM
Verified Member

I see 2 possible shots I like

1) Cut the 9 in and Cb to end rail and kick the 14 out (unless its too close and may scratch)

2) Shoot the 8 2 rails into some of the balls on his side, follow the CB down to the bottom rail keeping him off cutting the 14.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:48 PM
Verified Member

This reminds me of a match between Little Al and Efren, Al would continually leave Efren a lone shot at his hole, very similar to the 8-ball, but Efren never went for the bait! Whitey
Old 08-29-2019, 05:22 PM
Verified Member

I'd be going all out to make the 14 off the 9 ball. I'd hit the carom hard enough that if I miss the 9 it won't be left for an easy bank. I feel pretty confident that I could 2 rail the 8 and roll the CB near enough to the short rail to deny a shot on the 14, but I'd hate to get that shot wrong, as it would lead to a quick loss.

Last edited by Tobermory; 08-29-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:55 PM
Verified Member

I would hit the 9 ball straight on with the speed that's necessary to lay the cueball on the bottom rail. I believe i will have a better shot to possibly clear that ball by his pocket in the next couple of innings or have a better offensive opportunity. Keith
Old 08-29-2019, 05:56 PM
Verified Member

Default WWYD - Chicago Fats vs Random Ray at Chris' Billiards

Iíd be cutting the 9 in even though itís risky. Bad spot likely wonít get better so Iím taking action. I know you cut the 9 Fatty.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:20 PM
Verified Member

There are two ways to consider shooting the 9. A good ball pocketer would aim to make the 9 with enough right spin on the CB to take out the 14-- perhaps even knock it over to the shooter's side. OTOH missing the 9 and clipping the 14 too thin could turn out badly.

The other way is to cinch the 14 takeout with the CB, and pay more attention to the 14 contact.

A guy could also kick off the long rail to roll up behind the 14.

But my sense is that if a guy is giving another guy 12-6 (in this layout he needs them all, whereas the opponent only needs 3), the guy is probably a good enough shooter to pocket the 9, or even the 8 ball...

~Doc
Old 08-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Verified Member

if you are giving 12 to 6 to a guy that can run 3 85% of the time you need to be good enough to make the 8 and run 3 more 85% of the time.

shouldnt there be more balls on the table.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:31 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
if you are giving 12 to 6 to a guy that can run 3 85% of the time you need to be good enough to make the 8 and run 3 more 85% of the time.

shouldnt there be more balls on the table.
At 12 6.... I owe two at the beginning and go to 10.

Also... I didnt say he can run 3 85% of the time every game. I said he would run three this game with the balls playing the way they are 85% of the time.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:35 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappo View Post
I would hit the 9 ball straight on with the speed that's necessary to lay the cueball on the bottom rail. I believe i will have a better shot to possibly clear that ball by his pocket in the next couple of innings or have a better offensive opportunity. Keith
I like this shot choice even though I didnt choose it.