Whither Bill Stroud?

NineBallPaul

Verified Member
I've been thinking about contacting Bill Stroud regarding one of his Joss West cues. Alas, his website is of little help. Apparently it hasn't been functional for years, and features many broken links and other defects.

Looks like his cues are still available through dealers, though. I knew Bill originally from when he lived in Aspen and often played in Denver. Last time I saw Bill was in 1967, when we were both on the road. Ran into him at the old Cochran's in San Francisco, where he was locked in action for a couple days with some guy I didn't recognize.

I was wondering if Bill had a design in mind that might commemorate Cochran's, surely one of the grandest pool palaces this planet has ever known.

Anybody seen Bill lately?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
NineBallPaul said:
I've been thinking about contacting Bill Stroud regarding one of his Joss West cues. Alas, his website is of little help. Apparently it hasn't been functional for years, and features many broken links and other defects.

Looks like his cues are still available through dealers, though. I knew Bill originally from when he lived in Aspen and often played in Denver. Last time I saw Bill was in 1967, when we were both on the road. Ran into him at the old Cochran's in San Francisco, where he was locked in action for a couple days with some guy I didn't recognize.

I was wondering if Bill had a design in mind that might commemorate Cochran's, surely one of the grandest pool palaces this planet has ever known.

9BP, I think Bill Porter (on this site) still maintains contact with him. Thats about the last time I saw him too.
Great Idea for a cue.

Dick

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
NineBallPaul said:

I have a good friend who talks to him regularly. I will get his # & PM it to you.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
He is in Ruidoso.

He still has a website with all his contact info: www.josswest.net

There is an interesting section about one pocket on there along with quite a bit of stuff about himself and his cues.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
No english?

No english?

Bill Stroud said all the great bankers bank with the vertical center line of the cueball. That's a big surprise to me. Can we get some comments on that? :eek:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
close to right

close to right

vapros said:
Bill Stroud said all the great bankers bank with the vertical center line of the cueball. That's a big surprise to me. Can we get some comments on that? :eek:

While I hate to agree with Billy about anything, he's pretty much close to correct. Although I personally recommend shooting a hair above or a hair below center, to minimized slide and linear force.

the Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
vapros said:
By saying "vertical center line", I assume he means center, high, or low; but not side english. In my brief experience watching good bankers, it seems to me they create spin on the object ball by the use of collision induced spin, rather than by use of CB english. Most banks are shot wide with speed, so that the OB tracks short to the hole.

On the other hand, in one-pocket there are many circumstances which arise that require CB spin to get the most optimum track, or to get CB position for the next shot.

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
gulfportdoc said:
By saying "vertical center line", I assume he means center, high, or low; but not side english. In my brief experience watching good bankers, it seems to me they create spin on the object ball by the use of collision induced spin, rather than by use of CB english. Most banks are shot wide with speed, so that the OB tracks short to the hole.

On the other hand, in one-pocket there are many circumstances which arise that require CB spin to get the most optimum track, or to get CB position for the next shot.

Doc

"Collision induced spin" ? That reminds me, its time for breakfast. (at the bar!)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Yes, Doctor

Yes, Doctor

gulfportdoc said:

Doc

Very good, Doc. Ignore SJD........ I take that back, you probably should have said collision-induced english for the purists.

the Beard

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
Can anyone either confirm or deny that Bill was a high level one pocket player in his day? I've heard that he was but I'm not sure the source is reliable:D

Martin

NineBallPaul said:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Very questionable info.

Very questionable info.

jazznpool said:
Can anyone either confirm or deny that Bill was a high level one pocket player in his day? I've heard that he was but I'm not sure the source is reliable:D

Martin

Martin, I have not been around Bill in years, but I did hear things from time to time. Bill was a streaky player, I'd hear of him losing when he should have won, and vice-versa. He was never a real top gun, but he picked his spots pretty well. I don't think he ever considered 1P his best game.

Dick

bstroud

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Martin, I have not been around Bill in years, but I did hear things from time to time. Bill was a streaky player, I'd hear of him losing when he should have won, and vice-versa. He was never a real top gun, but he picked his spots pretty well. I don't think he ever considered 1P his best game.

Dick

I don't know where you are getting your info but I have never lost a pool match on purpose. I always played my own money. Never had a stakehorse. What would be the purpose of loosing.

As regards my playing record, I would put it up against anyone. I never got a spot from anyone.

Players I beat:

Mizerack-beat him at one-pocket, broke even at nine ball
Hopkins-beat him twice at one-pocket, lost once
Marvin Henderson- beat him at one-pocket twice
Pucket-beat him at one-pocket and nine ball
Bill Incardona-beat him at one-pocket, banks, nine ball, straight pool in Chicago at the Golden Cue.
Bearnie Swartz-broke even at nine ball just after he won the Stardust tournament.
Grady-beat him everytine we played at nine ball and one-pocket
Freddy the Beard-beat him 12 games of one-pocket in a row. Ne owed me the last game an was the only player to pay me later.
Cole Dixon-beat him at 9 ball. Gave him 9 to 7 one-pocket and lost
Vernon Elliott-beat him at nine ball in Rockingham. Danny was there
Jim Mataya-beat him at nine ball in DC
Steve Cook-beat him at one-pocket in Cleveland
Johnny Edwards-beat him at one-pocket in Johnson City
Siegel- beat him at one-pocket
Glenn Knoles-beat him at one-pocket
Little Al-gave him the 8 one game and the 7 one game and beat him
Harry the Horse- gave him the 8 and beat him at the Billiard Den
San Jose Dick- beat him at nine ball, lost at one-pocket
Wienie Beanie- beat him at one-pocket
Allen Keil- beat him in a 10 ahead nine ball for 1K at Beanies. Not sure if he had a chance to win one game. The time when I paid it was 45 cents.
Joe Russo-beat him at nine ball in his room
Patch eye-broke even at nine ball on his home court in Louisville
Strawberry-beat him at one-pocket in DC
Many ,Many others.

Players that beat me:

Ed Kelly-one-pocket. I had no chance. He was the best in the world at that time.
Banannas-one-pocket in LA. great player
Some houseman in Greenville SC that would not raise the bet so I quit 12 dollars loser.
I am sure there were others but these are the ones I remember.

Bill Stroud

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Welcome to OnePocket.org, Bill -- you also managed to somehow squeeze in a little cue stick making over the years :)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
bstroud said:
I don't know where you are getting your info but I have never lost a pool match on purpose. I always played my own money. Never had a stakehorse. What would be the purpose of loosing.

As regards my playing record, I would put it up against anyone. I never got a spot from anyone.

Players I beat:

Mizerack-beat him at one-pocket, broke even at nine ball
Hopkins-beat him twice at one-pocket, lost once
Marvin Henderson- beat him at one-pocket twice
Pucket-beat him at one-pocket and nine ball
Bill Incardona-beat him at one-pocket, banks, nine ball, straight pool in Chicago at the Golden Cue.
Bearnie Swartz-broke even at nine ball just after he won the Stardust tournament.
Grady-beat him everytine we played at nine ball and one-pocket
Freddy the Beard-beat him 12 games of one-pocket in a row. Ne owed me the last game an was the only player to pay me later.
Cole Dixon-beat him at 9 ball. Gave him 9 to 7 one-pocket and lost
Vernon Elliott-beat him at nine ball in Rockingham. Danny was there
Jim Mataya-beat him at nine ball in DC
Steve Cook-beat him at one-pocket in Cleveland
Johnny Edwards-beat him at one-pocket in Johnson City
Siegel- beat him at one-pocket
Glenn Knoles-beat him at one-pocket
Little Al-gave him the 8 one game and the 7 one game and beat him
Harry the Horse- gave him the 8 and beat him at the Billiard Den
San Jose Dick- beat him at nine ball, lost at one-pocket
Wienie Beanie- beat him at one-pocket
Allen Keil- beat him in a 10 ahead nine ball for 1K at Beanies. Not sure if he had a chance to win one game. The time when I paid it was 45 cents.
Joe Russo-beat him at nine ball in his room
Patch eye-broke even at nine ball on his home court in Louisville
Strawberry-beat him at one-pocket in DC
Many ,Many others.

Players that beat me:

Ed Kelly-one-pocket. I had no chance. He was the best in the world at that time.
Banannas-one-pocket in LA. great player
Some houseman in Greenville SC that would not raise the bet so I quit 12 dollars loser.
I am sure there were others but these are the ones I remember.

Bill Stroud

Hey, you act like I accused you of "dumping"...and I don't remember you beating me at 9 ball (ha ha)

Where do you think I'm getting my info...For Crissake, it's me...San Jose Dick,
Have you forgotten our trip to Johnston City...Your Porsche was to small to drive, so we took my car and it didn't make it...Remember ???

Long time no see Bill...(How about 45 years) Hope you are well. Welcome to the nuthouse, we have a lot of fun here...(well, most of us do)...You need to work on your "beat list" Bill,...one guy on here has you bested by hundreds..:D

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
Dick,

Good to hear from you.
I was a pool hustler after all.
As I remember it, we played 9 ball at some pool room at a bowling alley in Denver and I won.
We played 0ne-pocket at the fun center the next day and you won.
I invited you to stay at my place in Boulder.
Been a long time.
Good to hear from you.
Hope things are going well.

Bill

SJDinPHX

Suspended
bstroud said:
Dick,

Good to hear from you.
I was a pool hustler after all.
As I remember it, we played 9 ball at some pool room at a bowling alley in Denver and I won.
We played 0ne-pocket at the fun center the next day and you won.
I invited you to stay at my place in Boulder.
Been a long time.
Good to hear from you.
Hope things are going well.

Bill

OK Bill,...I'll cross you off my list..;) ... Bill Porter and I have talked about your brief time in Dallas. You must have stopped there after I moved to Houston. Also, Alfie Taylor lives here now. (Phoenix)...I see him often. Alfie held Eddie Taylors hand, as he passed away, in Shreveport.
You know how close he was to Eddie and Beanie. Good to see you posting on here.

And things are going as well as can be expected, for someone approaching middle age..:D

Last edited:

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I can't say for sure, but here is some useful info :

I suck at bank pool.lol ... I use english....But I still suck without english.

vapros said:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
How true

How true

I can't say for sure, but here is some useful info :

I suck at bank pool.lol ... I use english....But I still suck without english.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapros
Bill Stroud said all the great bankers bank with the vertical center line of the cueball. That's a big surprise to me. Can we get some comments on that?

He is speaking of course about Eddie Taylor, Youngblood Washington, Truman Hogue, Tony Fargo, and to a great extent Bugs. English is used to create unnatural angles and to play position that you couldnt have gotten with center ball.

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
of course

of course

And to make a bank that can only be made with extreme throw that vertical english would'nt come close on.You only need it maybe 1 out of a dozen shots on average playing banks.One pocket is another story for another day.Grady,3-1 if they play even which they wont.Will they?