1p and beginners

GoldCrown

Verified Member
EDIT... The title subject should read.. "The Guy in the room nobody wants to play with"

Our community clubhouse where I live/play. A new guy keeps bugging me to play/teach him 1P. Told him I do not teach as I'm learning myself and cannot help him. I did say if he takes it seriously, takes lessons and wants to work drills I'd like to practice with him. Fair enough? I get no response so no guilt on my end.

I pay for lessons and so on... I have an obligation not to pass on what I payed for and have an unwritten contract/understanding with my instructor not to forward his knowledge. What goes on between us stays with us. The only thing I will give away is his phone #.
As for beginners. My wife played Mahjong with a group and they got pissed off at her and made her feel like shit. Said she took too much time and asked too many questions. Proper etiquette would have been to say at first they do not want beginners for obvious reasons. I feel the same about the guy asking me to help him get started. The particular person I'm referring to has made no effort to educate himself on 1pocket, is a bad listener and I do not think he is willing to work hard at learning.
It's awkward because I see this guy daily...but I did explain I cannot do what he is asking.
I honestly do to not want to play any pool with him.... he starts to teach the teacher kind of personality. I'm very ok with how I handled this...not looking for support or answers but have you been in the position of a totally inexperienced person(that knows it all) asking for your time and you know it's a waste of time.

Last edited:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Our community clubhouse where I live/play. A new guy keeps bugging me to play/teach him 1P. Told him I do not teach as I'm learning myself and cannot help him. I did say if he takes it seriously, takes lessons and wants to work drills I'd like to practice with him. Fair enough? I get no response so no guilt on my end.

I pay for lessons and so on... I have an obligation not to pass on what I payed for and have an unwritten contract/understanding with my instructor not to forward his knowledge. What goes on between us stays with us. The only thing I will give away is his phone #.
As for beginners. My wife played Mahjong with a group and they got pissed off at her and made her feel like shit. Said she took too much time and asked too many questions. Proper etiquette would have been to say at first they do not want beginners for obvious reasons. I feel the same about the guy asking me to help him get started. The particular person I'm referring to has made no effort to educate himself on 1pocket, is a bad listener and I do not think he is willing to work hard at learning.
It's awkward because I see this guy daily...but I did explain I cannot do what he is asking.
I honestly do to not want to play any pool with him.... he starts to teach the teacher kind of personality. I'm very ok with how I handled this...not looking for support or answers but have you been in the position of a totally inexperienced person(that knows it all) asking for your time and you know it's a waste of time.

Sounds, just to me, like you're being overprotective of your teacher, Tom-Tom, if I recall correctly. All a newbie needs is the basics and I can't imagine that's proprietary in any meaningful sense. Growing 1P in popularity, even one person at a time, is more likely to help Tom-Tom sell more books and lessons than it is to make him sell less.

Frankly, someone who hasn't yet played 1P, maybe unless that person is a short stop or better, wouldn't get anything out of Tom's book. In fact, I think the introduction to his book says it's for somewhat experienced players and up (my memory may be off here).

Also, I would be surprised if many people here *first learned* the game of 1P by doing drills and taking lessons. I suspect most of us just played the game for a while and then eventually started taking lessons and practicing specifically for 1P. Seems to be what your guy wants to do.

Bottom line, if the guy is nice, then there's not much to be lost from hitting with him for an hour and seeing what happens.

The other approach is to just offer something like 10-6 or 12-5 depending on your relative skills, play cheap, and see if he likes it. That's probably how most of us learned.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Sounds, just to me, like you're being overprotective of your teacher, Tom-Tom, if I recall correctly. All a newbie needs is the basics and I can't imagine that's proprietary in any meaningful sense. Growing 1P in popularity, even one person at a time, is more likely to help Tom-Tom sell more books and lessons than it is to make him sell less.

Frankly, someone who hasn't yet played 1P, maybe unless that person is a short stop or better, wouldn't get anything out of Tom's book. In fact, I think the introduction to his book says it's for somewhat experienced players and up (my memory may be off here).

Also, I would be surprised if many people here *first learned* the game of 1P by doing drills and taking lessons. I suspect most of us just played the game for a while and then eventually started taking lessons and practicing specifically for 1P. Seems to be what your guy wants to do.

Bottom line, if the guy is nice, then there's not much to be lost from hitting with him for an hour and seeing what happens.

The other approach is to just offer something like 10-6 or 12-5 depending on your relative skills, play cheap, and see if he likes it. That's probably how most of us learned.
I forgot to mention it's a crowded room...we play doubles and captain. Nobody wants him in.
It's not really about Tom and being protective. I just tossed that into the mix. I wanted to encourage him to get started in the right direction. The person thinks he wants to learn but does not hear or listen. The person is a banger not a player. I suggested he read and check in on 1p.org. Suggested he watch vids, practices breaks, tries to understand what to do and mainly ask questions. I'm not that hardheaded or selfish...I would gladly share my little knowledge with anyone in my community getting started. It creates a certain circle of enthusiasts. To teach is to learn. What kills me is when I start to talk and get cut off. I tell the person the table is about quadrants and immediately get I know I know. If I want to get cut off I can have a cut you off conversation with my wife....don't need to get that from someone else:lol
What hurts is when I ask my 9ball buddies if they would be interested in playing they
say they hate the game....and it's a shame because they are decent players...I would enjoy their company at the table. I realize everyone is different but I put a lot of effort into trying to learn and would like to be in the company of those that doing are the same. I can't play with a new guy that plays one rack and starts giving advice what to do next. That does not help them or me.
A few years ago I started with 3 guys that had an interest in trying 1p. We'd shoot everything up table and take flyers. A year later I decided I'd like to learn how to play and connected with Tom and 1p.org. Regardless of my level I'm having a blast and enjoying the 1pocket puzzle. I still suck but suck less and less. The flaws are there but the positives are increasing. I only have so much skill and trying to squeeze the max out of it. I'm satisfied with how it's going. Not content...just satisfied for now and continuing to grow.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
when I ask my 9ball buddies if they would be interested in playing they
say they hate the game

I haven't had an opportunity to try this out with similar players, but if I get the chance I want to see if starting them with give-opponent-a-ball-when-you-foul, and the five-balls-behind-the-line rule would speed the game up enough to make it more suitable to their taste (to get them hooked.)

GoldCrown

Verified Member
I haven't had an opportunity to try this out with similar players, but if I get the chance I want to see if starting them with give-opponent-a-ball-when-you-foul, and the five-balls-behind-the-line rule would speed the game up enough to make it more suitable to their taste (to get them hooked.)

I'd try any arrangement to get them to try it. I really enjoy playing with some of guys in our senior league but some say it ruins their 9ball or it's boring. We know that is bull. I think they are too lazy to learn or have no interest. My buddy in Phila that I play 9 with is getting into 1p. He improved drastically from the Spring to the Fall. I can't wait to play him in the Spring. (I'm a Florida snowbird).
It's interesting playing in a community clubhouse. Players want to improve or learn but do nothing about it.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I forgot to mention it's a crowded room...we play doubles and captain. Nobody wants him in.
It's not really about Tom and being protective. I just tossed that into the mix. I wanted to encourage him to get started in the right direction. The person thinks he wants to learn but does not hear or listen. The person is a banger not a player. I suggested he read and check in on 1p.org. Suggested he watch vids, practices breaks, tries to understand what to do and mainly ask questions. I'm not that hardheaded or selfish...I would gladly share my little knowledge with anyone in my community getting started. It creates a certain circle of enthusiasts. To teach is to learn. What kills me is when I start to talk and get cut off. I tell the person the table is about quadrants and immediately get I know I know. If I want to get cut off I can have a cut you off conversation with my wife....don't need to get that from someone else:lol
What hurts is when I ask my 9ball buddies if they would be interested in playing they
say they hate the game....and it's a shame because they are decent players...I would enjoy their company at the table. I realize everyone is different but I put a lot of effort into trying to learn and would like to be in the company of those that doing are the same. I can't play with a new guy that plays one rack and starts giving advice what to do next. That does not help them or me.
A few years ago I started with 3 guys that had an interest in trying 1p. We'd shoot everything up table and take flyers. A year later I decided I'd like to learn how to play and connected with Tom and 1p.org. Regardless of my level I'm having a blast and enjoying the 1pocket puzzle. I still suck but suck less and less. The flaws are there but the positives are increasing. I only have so much skill and trying to squeeze the max out of it. I'm satisfied with how it's going. Not content...just satisfied for now and continuing to grow.

There's your answer. Life's too short, don't spend it with jerks! (Possible exception when matching up.)

On the other hand, nothing wrong with teaching someone whose not a jerk if you have a little spare time.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
There's your answer. Life's too short, don't spend it with jerks! (Possible exception when matching up.)

On the other hand, nothing wrong with teaching someone whose not a jerk if you have a little spare time.

Yes... you broke the code.... that is what I'm talking about. Would enjoy teaching anyone that is interested. I have plenty of spare time. I'd enjoy getting an enthusiastic person jump started. Ok thanks for reading my rant.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Yes... you broke the code.... that is what I'm talking about. Would enjoy teaching anyone that is interested. I have plenty of spare time. I'd enjoy getting an enthusiastic person jump started. Ok thanks for reading my rant.

Sounds good, all's well that ends well!

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Sounds good, all's well that ends well!

Time to Hijack my thread. Here's the fun of pool and the people we meet.
Years ago (10 or more) I'm playing at Tacony Billiards. I'm watching the 2 guys next to me...I ask what they are playing...guy says 1pocket and it's the only game he likes to play lately. Said he enjoys 9 ball but now he swears by 1pocket. Nice guy. Clean cut. Sociable. I'm about 99% sure it was Mitch.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
1p and beginners

Time to Hijack my thread. Here's the fun of pool and the people we meet.

Years ago (10 or more) I'm playing at Tacony Billiards. I'm watching the 2 guys next to me...I ask what they are playing...guy says 1pocket and it's the only game he likes to play lately. Said he enjoys 9 ball but now he swears by 1pocket. Nice guy. Clean cut. Sociable. I'm about 99% sure it was Mitch.

Frank... you just gave me a flashback.I remember it. That's funny. It was me. I was playing on a table in the middle closest to the windows and you were one row towards the center of the room I think. Although I think it was more like 6 or 7 years ago. The story is still the same btw 👍.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Frank... you just gave me a flashback.I remember it. That's funny. It was me. I was playing on a table in the middle closest to the windows and you were one row towards the center of the room I think. Although I think it was more like 6 or 7 years ago. The story is still the same btw ��.

Hi tank. Greetings from the South. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Tylerbob

Verified Member
From
Chandler Texas
Last year I got sucked into joining an APA team. Although I was the highest skill level on the team, I was not the captain. The captain's wife was a low skill level but professed to want to learn. She could make a ball, but had no idea where whitey was going or why.

We set a practice time and I attempted to show her some simple stop shot patterns. After a couple of failed attempts, whitey went bouncing around and somehow lined up on the next ball. She proudly proclaimed that she liked her way better than mine. End of lesson. Soon thereafter end of league. Life is too short.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Last year I got sucked into joining an APA team. Although I was the highest skill level on the team, I was not the captain. The captain's wife was a low skill level but professed to want to learn. She could make a ball, but had no idea where whitey was going or why.

We set a practice time and I attempted to show her some simple stop shot patterns. After a couple of failed attempts, whitey went bouncing around and somehow lined up on the next ball. She proudly proclaimed that she liked her way better than mine. End of lesson. Soon thereafter end of league. Life is too short.

That's funny. But over the years, I've found that people like that are outnumbered by 2:1 or more. Luck of the draw.

For league, it's best to start with people you like and view the pool as secondary. Viewing pool as primary in a league setting is a recipe for disappointment. It is what it is. I like it in moderation.