What is trapping/wedging?

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I noticed on the Galvenston tournament, there is this rule for onepocket.

Trapping or Wedging the Cue Ball: It is a foul if you deliberately trap or wedge the cue ball in the jaw of the pocket. In addition to the foul penalty, your opponent receives cue ball in hand behind the head string.

Would this be if a ball is hanging and you try and roll the cueball up to the side of it, in the jaws? If so, if you make a good hit, what's the problem?

CaliRed needs enlightened.

Skin

Verified Member
CaliRed said:

Trapping or Wedging the Cue Ball: It is a foul if you deliberately trap or wedge the cue ball in the jaw of the pocket. In addition to the foul penalty, your opponent receives cue ball in hand behind the head string.

Would this be if a ball is hanging and you try and roll the cueball up to the side of it, in the jaws? If so, if you make a good hit, what's the problem?

Red, I think that rule applies if the shooter keeps the tip on the cb after contact with the ob and pushes the cb up against the pocket facing trying for a corner hook.

Skin

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
CaliRed said:

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2PbrY2TcxT2phpq2qQtFWhen_taking_a_foul_and_pinning_the_CB_like_this_is_one_example&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed,

This tactic came up relatively frequently on a 5x10 snooker table. More so than on a pool table anyway. In this area it was the standard and accepted thing to do when someone corner-hooked you like this and you could not hit a ball, and sometimes even if you could hit a ball. It was a loss of one ball penalty. It's not accepted everywhere in the country though.

Dennis

androd said:
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2PbrY2TcxT2phpq2qQtFWhen_taking_a_foul_and_pinning_the_CB_like_this_is_one_example&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
CaliRed,

This tactic came up relatively frequently on a 5x10 snooker table. More so than on a pool table anyway. In this area it was the standard and accepted thing to do when someone corner-hooked you like this and you could not hit a ball, and sometimes even if you could hit a ball. It was a loss of one ball penalty. It's not accepted everywhere in the country though.

Dennis

Dennis, I think everyone did this until fairly recently, but now it's something I talk about when getting the rules straight. Afew years ago I cornerhooked my opponent, and started to explain the rule, he held up his hand and said it's cool. He then hit the facing across the pocket and rolled back and cornerhooked me. I've tried that and it's not terribly hard to do.
Rod.