2010 Bank Pool HOF Call for Nominations

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
It is also time for our 6th year of nominations for our Bank Pool category.

Since we began to recognize Banks legends, we have elected twelve well-deserving players into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame:

* Donny Anderson * Freddy 'The Beard' Bentivegna * Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge * John 'Cannonball' Chapman * Vernon Elliott * Tony ‘Fargo’ Ferguson * Truman Hogue * Glen 'Piggy Banks' Rogers * Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker * Gary Spaeth * Eddie 'Knoxville Bear' Taylor * Javanley 'Youngblood' Washington *

Yet there are many other Bank Pool greats who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to the next group of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for this year’s ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. In November the final list of candidates will be placed into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame poll, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the Bank Pool Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this coming January’s inductees.

Selection criteria for the Bank Pool Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.
2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.
3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of the game.

Please note that you do not have to be a tournament player to qualify for the Bank Pool Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of Bank Pool, and guys that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

The 7th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner is already scheduled for Tuesday, January 25, 2011 during the 13th Annual Derby City Classic. The dinner is a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the years. Last year’s event sold out early and many people were turned away, so make your reservations early!

2011 will be the 50th anniversary of the very first Johnston City tournament, so we will be featuring a Johnston City theme.

Please note, in order to vote this year, you will have to be a “Verified Member”. If you feel you should be verified, and are not, please explain either by private message here, or by using the Contact Us email form. Be patient, this is done manually, case by case.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
A coupla picks

A coupla picks

I promised I would give some air to some deserving players, who were relatively unknown, but still deserve a slot somewhere in the Hall.

First, I second Nick Varner. He cursed me out last time for campaigning so hard for Piggy Banks. I told Nicholas, and we are still good pals by the way, I had to look out for my home boys first, and since he was already in the BCA and Onepocket HOF, he could afford to wait another year. So this year I do have a slate of prospective candidates, but I would be happy to ring Nicky in if he happens to win. Incidentally, while he was barking at me, he was also playing and still running out from everywhere on the table. It was scary.

Mexican Johnny Vasquez. Best white banker in Chicago for many years. He was the first stop for every road player that hit Chicago. Got very little action on the 5 x 10 tho.

Tony Banks Coleman. The guy with probably the biggest heart of any banker. Would play anybody, and would play till Humpy straightened out -- and bet large documents. I believe he even came in 2nd one year at DCC.???
Had many a memorable session with the man. His MO at DCC, is he tries to stay up for the whole 9 days.

Howard the Coward Meechum. Another Chicago boy who could dab it.
He died young a few years ago. He was not very well known, but I promised I would give him his proper due on the forums. Howard would go anywhere, and play anybody, and bet his own money. Went to Buddy Hall's home room in KY and shot his nuts in. I watched him dismantle Gary Spaeth in Kalamazoo betting his own, when Gary was regarded as the best in the world. I have seen him beat Efren, Parica, Piggy Banks, Johnny Boy, Rusty Brandermeyer, Romberg, Tough Tony Brewer, and of course, once in awhile, me.

If Riley Jet Johnson puts up another year like this one, I will nominate him for next year.

Beard

Any politically correct lefty should take note that I dutifully nominated a Latino, a Northern white boy, and a black man, along with a Southern white gentleman (Nicky).

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Clyde could play

Clyde could play

dmyroncox said:
Clyde Childress should be there, died too young. another Kentucky Banker.

Clyde could play, and he did die way too young. But there was another boy from Hazard Ky, that died young, and played much better than Clyde. One Eyed Tony Howard.

Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
fred bentivegna said:
I promised I would give some air to some deserving players, who were relatively unknown, but still deserve a slot somewhere in the Hall.

First, I second Nick Varner. He cursed me out last time for campaigning so hard for Piggy Banks. I told Nicholas, and we are still good pals by the way, I had to look out for my home boys first, and since he was already in the BCA and Onepocket HOF, he could afford to wait another year. So this year I do have a slate of prospective candidates, but I would be happy to ring Nicky in if he happens to win. Incidentally, while he was barking at me, he was also playing and still running out from everywhere on the table. It was scary.

Mexican Johnny Vasquez. Best white banker in Chicago for many years. He was the first stop for every road player that hit Chicago. Got very little action on the 5 x 10 tho.

Tony Banks Coleman. The guy with probably the biggest heart of any banker. Would play anybody, and would play till Humpy straightened out -- and bet large documents. I believe he even came in 2nd one year at DCC.???
Had many a memorable session with the man. His MO at DCC, is he tries to stay up for the whole 9 days.

Howard the Coward Meechum. Another Chicago boy who could dab it.
He died young a few years ago. He was not very well known, but I promised I would give him his proper due on the forums. Howard would go anywhere, and play anybody, and bet his own money. Went to Buddy Hall's home room in KY and shot his nuts in. I watched him dismantle Gary Spaeth in Kalamazoo betting his own, when Gary was regarded as the best in the world. I have seen him beat Efren, Parica, Piggy Banks, Johnny Boy, Rusty Brandermeyer, Romberg, Tough Tony Brewer, and of course, once in awhile, me.

If Riley Jet Johnson puts up another year like this one, I will nominate him for next year.

Beard

Any politically correct lefty should take note that I dutifully nominated a Latino, a Northern white boy, and a black man, along with a Southern white gentleman (Nicky).
freddy you also said mexican johnny was the best white banker in chicago for many years. was that before you got on the scene???:D (just teasing)

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
lll said:
freddy you also said mexican johnny was the best white banker in chicago for many years. was that before you got on the scene???:D (just teasing)
Your BAD Larry..remember when living next to a live dragon you would do well to always keep him in your calculations LOL

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Right is right

Right is right

lll said:

Even after I arrived, I couldn't beat him for about 6 or 7 years.

Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
What about Bob Bowles? I know Eddie Taylor used to say he had been the best (before Taylor came into his own).

Also how about Tony Brewer?

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Tony Coleman
John Brumback
Kenny Romberg
John McCue
Fats

Freddy the Beard:
Can you tell me who Varner ever beat playing banks-even?

I mean he's OK but he's way down the list after these guys and more people regarding banks.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I don't know how many years Brumback has been a top player. He's my favorite banks player of today, and there's no question that he's a champion, and will eventually be inducted. But, like Daulton and Joyner in the 1P, he may be a smidge "young" for HOF.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Nepotism

Nepotism

stevelomako said:
Tony Coleman
John Brumback
Kenny Romberg
John McCue
Fats

Freddy the Beard:
Can you tell me who Varner ever beat playing banks-even?

I mean he's OK but he's way down the list after these guys and more people regarding banks.

He did win the Bank tourn at DCC one year, but I cannot truthfully answer your question. Just call my nomination a result of oldtimers loyalty. Now you also came in a little light with California John McCue. Great guy, nice player, but shoulda got outta Detroit a little more. I cant argue with the rest of the list.
I'll kill two birds with one stone and answer Steve's query re Tough Tony Brewer, aka Snaggletooth. Tony played a top speed but he never left Chicago and very seldom left the South Side.

You know I love Tony Banks (Coleman) and Kenny Romboogie Remus.

Beard

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
gulfportdoc said:
I don't know how many years Brumback has been a top player. He's my favorite banks player of today, and there's no question that he's a champion, and will eventually be inducted. But, like Daulton and Joyner in the 1P, he may be a smidge "young" for HOF.

Doc

He was on the ballot last year Doc.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
fred bentivegna said:
He did win the Bank tourn at DCC one year, but I cannot truthfully answer your question. Just call my nomination a result of oldtimers loyalty. Now you also came in a little light with California John McCue. Great guy, nice player, but shoulda got outta Detroit a little more. I cant argue with the rest of the list.
I'll kill two birds with one stone and answer Steve's query re Tough Tony Brewer, aka Snaggletooth. Tony played a top speed but he never left Chicago and very seldom left the South Side.

You know I love Tony Banks (Coleman) and Kenny Romboogie Remus.

Beard

The reason I had to throw CJ in there was he loved banks and played anyone that wanted to play it that came to Detroit. He's also a Chicago and California boy.

Whenever Kenny came to Detroit he and John ALWAYS played, whether it was banks or one pocket they always played and Romberg never gave him more than a ball and if John was winner it would go to even. That was it, either John got a ball or even.

We loved Kenny here, good action, no BS, just came looking to saddle up and play.

Tony Coleman is my bud from way back. If he was around he was looking to do something. Grady made me take a piece of his bet one time when he and Tony played banks (even) and I don't think either of them played a safe. Damndest thing you ever saw, shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot. Tonys in the same mold as Truman.

Last edited:

hitnandpikn

Verified Member
The only issue I have with Varner is he hasn"t played in the last several DDC,s. I am aware he has in the past and just keep thinking why not play/support the greatest bank tourney in the games history.Maybe I just selfishly would love to see him compete since he still can get the job done.Come on Nick play in the bank division at least.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
stevelomako said:
He was on the ballot last year Doc.
I'm talking about getting inducted. Without looking, I'm sure there have been several guys on the ballot who don't completely fit the bill.

No one has answered my question. How many years has Brumback been a top banks player?

Doc

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
gulfportdoc said:
I'm talking about getting inducted. Without looking, I'm sure there have been several guys on the ballot who don't completely fit the bill.

No one has answered my question. How many years has Brumback been a top banks player?

Doc

Off the top of my head 15 years or so. John has played all games real good for 25 years probably.

His problem is he isn't a egotistical loudmouth so you kinda don't notice him. Doesn't mean he ain't a killer.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I like Nick Varner, Buddy Hall, and John Brumback, and not in any particular order. They are my top 3 choices, and I believe that they are all deservent of the induction.

Billy I.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
fred bentivegna said:
...Mexican Johnny Vasquez. Best white banker in Chicago for many years. He was the first stop for every road player that hit Chicago. Got very little action on the 5 x 10 tho...

Artie B. also said Johnny was a top "after hours" banker. I do know that he beat Archer and Parica for the cash at banks when Johnny was over the hill and not in the best of health. (And, a note for those of you who are down on Chicago, Johnny told me he grew up in Fort Worth, Texas;-)

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
demonrho said:
Artie B. also said Johnny was a top "after hours" banker. I do know that he beat Archer and Parica for the cash at banks when Johnny was over the hill and not in the best of health. (And, a note for those of you who are down on Chicago, Johnny told me he grew up in Fort Worth, Texas;-)
I have to say the truth Mexican Johnny was a real bank pool player and a good nine ball player and a good one pocket player and a great bar player. And most off all Johnny was a winner. And I was Jonnys closest friend. Johnny could have played anyone any game and he could have won no matter who he played. Te only game Jonny couldnt play was straite pool. Johhny did nothing put play pool and hustle pool his whole life.Johnny never had a job. Jonny won about 98% off the time and all the money he won he lost playing horses. And he would not gamble with his horse money. But johnny was a winner and I dont care if he gets voted in the hall off fame in one pocket or banks. To me he is in my hall off fame. And all the players in the hall off fame in one pocket and banks were no sure winner over Johnny. And when I was a kid I took Mexican Johnny to Johnson City I told everyone thier if they give Mexican Johnny a ball playing any off these three games e will play them. One pocket banks and nine ball. And nobody thier would give him anything. I baked Mexican Johnny about 30 times and he never lost. He use to waite for me outside off Lake View High school to back him and the other students would ask me who is that tough looking guy waithing for you. And I said thats Mexican Johnny the best pool player in Chicago. And I back him playing pool. Johnny played pool his whole lifeand he won his whole life. Jonny was my friend and we stayed friends our whole life. He hustled a lot in Arizona and when he hird I was in las Vegas e came to Las Vegas to see me and I would give him a lot off money and get him compte to eat and a free room. And I never asked him for the money back. We went on the road a lot off times. But we would never tell nobody. And he beat everyone he played. And him and Bugs use to play one pocket and banks on the south side off Chicago and it was a real grudge match. And Bugs gave Johnnt one ball in banks and one ball in one pocket. I told Johnny tat I would not back him against Bugs. The action is to tough to lay two too one. And Johnny and Bugs even got into a fight but the broke it up and nothing serious happened. Johnny beat Baby face. When he was playing his best. I rate Johnny with Corn bread red and Detroite whitey.Johhy and cannonball was a colse game in one pocket. And I would make Lefty a 115 favorite over Johnny playing bank pool but in nie ball Johnny would be the favorite. Even playing Bugs nine ball Johnny could give him the 8 and nine and still be the favorite. Jonny was in the top 8 one handed player in the country. And I never seen anyone beat Johnny on a bar table. And I seen Johnny beat a player playing nine ball on the bar and he won 5 hundred dollaers And the guy pulled a gun on Johnny and Johnny would not give the money back. And he cased him all around the bad table and he couldnt catch him and Johnny ran out the door. He was lucky he didnt shoot him. And bar action was real good then. If Race track Phil or Freddy wanr ti tell the story why Johnnt left Chicago and never came back. I will let them tell you. Johnny is a real pool player and hustler and he gave his life to pool. Johny is one off the best pool players and hustlers in life. He played all games good. And he desirves to be in the hall off fame. Johnny was a champion and he was fiered just like Bugs. And he was one off the best 5 by 10 players bar players and 4 by 8 and 4and a half by nines. Nobody wanted mexican Johnnys action. And he went all over the country with a one peace cue. Raped up in newspaper on the bus going from state to state. And Johnnyn couldnt read. But he sure could play and he new how to win. Johnny came from the old school and thats all he new was pool and thats how he made his living. When all those champions had to get jobs because the couldnt make it playing pool. And thier were very few tournemets at that time. Johnny was liked by everyone and he was what a real pool player is made off. A hard core hustler and player. I will always remember Johnny and the part he gave and played in the world. Johnny to me is a all around hall off fame player. Forever AB Middler