Santos "gets out of jail"

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Here is a great escape from Santos Sambajon during game 6 of his match with Cliff Joyner at the 2000 World One Pocket Championship in Maine. Cliff had put Santos in jail with this leave, with seemingly no out. Santos' shot was very inventive, and ended up turning the game around in his favor. Santos ended up winning this game. See if you can figure what he might have done... ~Doc
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AAry4BPYb4CEKV4DFJg3EALo4FALV4GHEC4HHVJ4IAEH4JbHs4KVeK4LSTK4MKmh4NRtG4ObHa2PXFK3Qcps2uAIT@[/CUETABLE]

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
gulfportdoc said:
Here is a great escape from Santos Sambajon during game 6 of his match with Cliff Joyner at the 2000 World One Pocket Championship in Maine. Cliff had put Santos in jail with this leave, with seemingly no out. Santos' shot was very inventive, and ended up turning the game around in his favor. Santos ended up winning this game. See if you can figure what he might have done... ~Doc
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AAry4BPYb4CEKV4DFJg3EALo4FALV4GHEC4HHVJ4IAEH4JbHs4KVeK4LSTK4MKmh4NRtG4ObHa2PXFK3Qcps2uAIT@[/CUETABLE]

Doc,

I'm fairly certain that I have the DVD of that match and shot. It may just be the greatest safety shot I've ever seen. I've considered trying to WEI it up but so many balls move that it's hard to show, from what I remember anyway.

With the WEI table being difficult to edit right now I think I'll wait to see player's responses.

Dennis

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:

How about splitting the 3/7 with the cue ball, the 3 sends the 1 by his hole and the cue ball force follows in back of the 2/14

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
jrhendy said:
How about splitting the 3/7 with the cue ball, the 3 sends the 1 by his hole and the cue ball force follows in back of the 2/14
I was just thinking the same sort of shot, but splitting the 7-13 instead -- by hitting the edge of the 13-ball first. I would draw it but someone has paralyzed us for the moment...

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jrhendy said:

I see a similar shot to John's, only I would bank the 13, straight across, (toward the diamond just below the side pocket)... just hard enough to get to my side of the table, and come off the 7 with RH spin, and drop behind the 2/14...that also heads the 3, into the 1, towards my hole.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Howzabout this? Sorry if it's already been posted (I didn't look).

[cuetable]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AAry4BPYb4CEKV4DFJg3EALo4FALV4GHEC4HHVJ4IAEH4JbHs4KVeK4LSTK4MKmh4NRtG4ObHa2PXFK3Qcps3UAry3Ubrl4WEKV4WArk3WEbk4bHEC4bFxK4bGnd4hKmh4hbmk3hOms2kXFK4kIRg4kIam4kbRS4kWCS2uAIT@[/cuetable]

Ghost can verify that I'd actually try something this silly.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
I see a similar shot to John's, only I would bank the 13, straight across, (toward the diamond just below the side pocket)... just hard enough to get to my side of the table, and come off the 7 with RH spin, and drop behind the 2/14...that also heads the 3, into the 1, towards my hole.

Wow - I'm impressed with myself for seeing the same crazy shot that you did, Dick. Maybe I'm not nuts after all? Or maybe we both are?

pj
chgo

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Patrick Johnson said:
Wow - I'm impressed with myself for seeing the same crazy shot that you did, Dick. Maybe I'm not nuts after all? Or maybe we both are?

pj
chgo

Thats not crazy,thats a good shot PJ... Steve came up with it too, as I was typing it in...How did you get the edit to work ? All our WEI guys have been baffled, with the new set-up..;)

Last edited:

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
new set-up?

new set-up?

SJDinPHX said:
Thats not crazy,thats a good shot PJ... Steve came up with it too, as I was typing it in...How did you get the edit to work ? All our WEI guys have been baffled, with the new set-up..;)

Didn't know there was a new wei set-up. What's the skinny on it?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Cuetable Workaround

Cuetable Workaround

SJDinPHX said:
How did you get the edit to work ?

Just by stumbling around awhile. After clicking the little pencil on the Wei table (to copy the layout to your clipboard), follow these steps (and then say yes when you're asked if you want to paste it):

Attachments

• Cuetable1.jpg
    Cuetable1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Cuetable2.jpg
    Cuetable2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Cuetable3.jpg
    Cuetable3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0

beatle

Verified Member
for a dog like me i might just hit the 7 into the long rail by the first diamond and try to knock towards my hole, it, and the 14, 2 balls.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
You guys were sure thinking the right way! Actually the 3, 7, & 13 balls were probably a little closer together. The shots you mentioned were probably unavailable. When Santos finally made this shot (and he really stroked it beautifully), the commentators (Howard Vickery and Ronnie Wiseman) almost fell off their chairs! Santos got out of every trap that Cliff put him in, and went on to win that particular game 8-2. I believe Cliff won the set 4-3. ~Doc
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AAsA4BPYb4CEKV4DFJg3EALo4FALV4GHEC4HHVJ4IAEH4JbHs4KVeK4LSTK4MKmh4NRtG4ObHa2PXFK3Qcps3UAsA3UBqU3ULfn4cHVJ4ccOd3cHpf2kXFK4kAbk4kFyG4kcOU4kTxL2uAIT@[/CUETABLE]

mosconiac

Verified Member
I figure you have to kill his chance to use the dead one against you...plus move some balls to your side of the table.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AAry4BPYb4CEKV4DFBg3EALo4FALV4GGvC4HHVJ4IAEH4Jaqr4KVeK4LSTK4MKmh4NRtG4ObHa2PXFK3Qcps4XFBg4XCwg4cHVJ4cELL4ebHs4eati4hKmh4hYkL4hbwE4hKgA4jbHa4jHem4jEEJ2kXFK4kJgT4kaQs2uBOB@[/CUETABLE]

EDIT: IFF the angle were just right (hard to tell on cuetable), I would consider trying to tuck the CB out of sight. The angle would have to be REAL good though.
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AAry4BPYb4CEKV4DFBg3EALo4FALV4GGvC4HHVJ4IAEH4Jaqr4KVeK4LSTK4MKmh4NRtG4ObHa2PXFK3Qcps4XFBg4XCwg4cHVJ4cHmJ4cFyS4ebHs4eati4hKmh4haRJ4hcFF4hIrw4hGGh4jbHa4jHem4jEEJ2kXFK4kJgT4kbAT4kUOa1uAIR@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
Doc,

As you know, I am about 4 generations away from being able to come up with that shot. However, it is good to know I rub elbows with guys who can. :)

DeeMan

Deeman

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
You rub elbows with Santos??:D

Doc

Only Elbows, Doc. We have shared a few meals at Derby City and other places. Of course, Ace's wife's cooking is the main draw for my relationship with him. :) Funny thing is: I took Ace to a pool tournament or two so he could meet a few players. Now he has them all on speed dial and I have to get him to call them for me! :)

Our most similar trait, Santos and me, is that we both live in the same hemisphere! If I really rubbed elbows with him, I get out every once in a while. wouldn't I? :(

DeeMan