Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2019, 12:26 AM
Verified Member

Default Carbon fiber shafts

I've tried a few of the carbon fiber shafts and have not been happy with the ones I've tried. They all seem to have a pinging sounds that I don't like. Plus non seem to satisfy me for one pocket. Other games it's ok except for the sound.

While in Vegas I met up with Charlie Bryant and tested the Becue shaft and it feels like a wood shaft and doesn't have the metal sound. I decided to buy one because I liked the hit, sound and taper.
I'm wondering if those here that have played or play with a CF shaft what input do you have on them and if you are satisfied playing one hole with it. And for those that have tried the Becue what are your thoughts.
Thanks for your input.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:52 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Almanza View Post
I've tried a few of the carbon fiber shafts and have not been happy with the ones I've tried. They all seem to have a pinging sounds that I don't like. Plus non seem to satisfy me for one pocket. Other games it's ok except for the sound.

While in Vegas I met up with Charlie Bryant and tested the Becue shaft and it feels like a wood shaft and doesn't have the metal sound. I decided to buy one because I liked the hit, sound and taper.
I'm wondering if those here that have played or play with a CF shaft what input do you have on them and if you are satisfied playing one hole with it. And for those that have tried the Becue what are your thoughts.
Thanks for your input.
I test-fired the becue, but the first time I ran into Hillbilly after he got them was 3 days after I had ordered a CF LD from OB, FWIW, IYKWIM.

My impression on the test-fire was positive, but I'd need to try other diameters and other tips because the one I tried seemed perfect to me except that it seemed to have slightly more deflection than the all-wood OBs I've been playing with. Don't take that to the bank, but I'd suggest checking it out before you buy. I thought the sound and feel were A-OK.

I now have the "Fusion" from OB which is a carbon fiber core with a maple outer body. Plays very well, sounds good, but I either ordered one too fat for my taste (12mm) or they sent one bigger than that. I don't have calipers or whatever you need to check that so I'm just going by feel and memory about the size I like. If this is really a 12, I must like something under 11.75.

I may end up getting a becue also, because I think I've got my game down to the point that the right shaft is the final wrinkle... Besides, what's 5 or 6 Hunnert compared to all the moolah I figure to make?

Last edited by LSJohn; 08-15-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:49 AM
Verified Member

becue/revo/cuetec carbon fiber are not the holy grail..YIKES - 01-04-2019, 08:34 AM
I HAVE TRIED ALL 3 AND HAVE RETURNED ALL 3...
actually since i posted that on azb you can add the mezz carbon fiber to the list
i did not see any magical energy transfer/super spin generation/or better low deflection properties than my ob1+
maybe i dont play good enough to appreciate cabon fiber shafts
but its still the indian not the arrow and for me this was not a better arrow
jmho
icbw
Old 08-15-2019, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Anyone who wants a Predator 12.9 I have one with very little use -- hit me up lol.

I wonder if those who are so impressed by them are mostly switching from regular wood shafts, rather than low deflection wood shafts, because I don't see that significant a difference in deflection between the carbon and say a Predator wood.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:42 AM
Verified Member

Approximately 2 months ago (right after the Philadelphia Members Only One-Pocket Tournament), I purchased a Revo 12.4 shaft which was factory fitted with Predator Victory soft tip. When purchasing the Revo shaft I learned that it does not screw onto the pins of certain custom cue sticks. Not to be deterred, I had to have the Revo shaft altered to fit the pin on my "Cognoscenti" cue made by Joe Gold of Chicago. I had the alteration completed within 24 hours by another local Chicagoland area cue maker who charged $50 for re-tapping the shaft to fit my cue. Since then I have played exclusively with the Revo shaft.

For me, the combination of the Revo shaft and the Cognoscenti cue provides a super solid hit without a hint of a ping sound. Is the Revo carbon fiber composite shaft magical? No. I still miss shots. Yet it "seems" to me that I have better control of the cue ball with and without spin. I am 100 percent satisfied that I made the switch to the Revo shaft.

Additionally, the sales person who sold me the shaft, a very solid player who also plays with a Revo shaft, advised that I purchase the 12.4 shaft instead of the 12.9 shaft. He explained that most of the positive feedback he has heard is for the 12.4 shaft. I had mentioned that I might change the cue tip to a Kamui super soft. He countered that I should first play with the Predator Victory soft tip since the Predator company had vested years in the making of this shaft and tip. It was great advice.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:52 AM
Verified Member

ive hit a couple and see no improvement for me. and some shots with excessive spin have to be relearned and become harder to do.

plus being what it is i would always wear a glove when using one. i dont think rubbing it on your skin for hours at a time might be good.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:57 AM
Verified Member

Love my Revo 12.4. It doesnt "ping" or I'm deaf. . I was at a tourney the other day and my stick slid off the side of the wall and the shaft bounced off the sharp edge of a formica table. Must have bounced 4 times off that table edge. It was crazy...lol didnt even scratch it..
Old 08-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Verified Member

I bought a predator blak 4-5 with 12.4 revo a couple weeks ago I played with a regular 12.5 maple shaft before.
20 years ago I played with the first 314.

I decided to jump full force and switch even in gambling or leagur.

I have a terrible stance and fundamentals for those of you that have played with me already know that.
I honestly think it has an improvement which helps compensate for my flaw of not hitting center cue.
I added 1.4 oz of weight so that may factor in too. I am adjusting but I am hitting my super soft spin shots now that I was worried about losing with a CF.

I test hit my friends bequ before I received my predator and I agree it feels more like wood than the revo.

I got a quick release joint and i would recommend sticking with radial. I love it for the extension but i find it disjointing while playing some times.

I will report back in a month or so.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:59 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFats View Post
I bought a predator blak 4-5 with 12.4 revo a couple weeks ago I played with a regular 12.5 maple shaft before.
20 years ago I played with the first 314.

I decided to jump full force and switch even in gambling or leagur.

I have a terrible stance and fundamentals for those of you that have played with me already know that.
I honestly think it has an improvement which helps compensate for my flaw of not hitting center cue.
I added 1.4 oz of weight so that may factor in too. I am adjusting but I am hitting my super soft spin shots now that I was worried about losing with a CF.

I test hit my friends bequ before I received my predator and I agree it feels more like wood than the revo.

I got a quick release joint and i would recommend sticking with radial. I love it for the extension but i find it disjointing while playing some times.

I will report back in a month or so.
Thanks for responding. It's those super soft spin shots that I'm having trouble with using the Revo 12.4. This shot is so important in one pocket for me. I have tried to draw the cue ball and on some of those shots and it get away from me. It's a great shaft for playing rotation games like nine ball and ten ball.
I'll be waiting for your follow up report. thanks.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:10 PM
Verified Member

maybe 9 ball as you said frank. but those spin shots do much better with wood shafts. i dont know why but they definitely do.

i really saw no downside to the shafts but did notice that the precise spin shots wernt so precise. and at 500 for a shaft they dont return anything great.

but its like golf clubs. you get a new set and think it helps you play better. does it.