Is there something to this? Or not.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Petie, there is no question that the speed, spins and strokes used for 1p are different than that of 9-ball. Similarly, there is no doubt in my mind that the bunting and safety play leave you ill-prepared for running out when you do get an open table. In my mind, being able to step up cold is just another one of the skills that is required to play 1p well.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is this - long, fairly straight shots at your pocket can be tough in 1p. However, 1p players like me jump right out of their chair at tough, off-angle shots that must be shot with a loaded inside ball. The same shots probably scare the hell out of a 9-ball player because he doesn't shoot them much. I played a ridiculously good ex-pro at 1p today and our session was no exception to my general observations.

Regarding DD, I agree - if he plays the same shots he calls in the booth, he would be a dead duck. I would also tell him this: that 4-rail kick you love is useful ONLY if the route isn't blocked by a ball. Go to the third rail and look at where the ball is coming off. Half the time he calls that shot (which is roughly once per game), the shot isn't even there.

My take on DD is that his game was sufficient for his era, where most folks were straight pool crossovers. That short punch stroke aint gonna cut it these days when the players will shoot you head off your shoulders.

Is anyone aware of Ronnie's stroke looked like in his heyday? Was it the same as it was in the '88 match?

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
interesting subject....

i think (for all the reasons given and probably more) 1P is the hardest/most intricate game that there is - i guess that's what appeals to me. (i wouldn't walk around the corner to watch the best players in the world play 8/9/10 ball on a barbox - probably not a real pool table either.)

given all the talk about golf games lately, i have a belief/theory that going back and fourth from a snooker table to a pool table will screw up your game and requires some acclimation after playing on the big table with the small balls for a while (for me) - pool balls are much livelier, there is a different pocketing stroke, the angles and speeds are much different, etc. (imho)

There is no question golf hurts your pool stroke some. There is a lot of bunting and playing off your thumb. Some players handle the transition better than others.

The 6 x 12 we used to play golf on in Bellflower was so fast is was like playing on glass. A long three railer in the side pocket took about as much stroke/speed as a long rail bank on a pool table. The changeover to the slow playing Gold Crowns there took a while for me.

I think something to remember is that most of the older pool players learned to play all games on all tables. I oftened jumped from pool to snooker or the other way around and even threw in a few games of three cushion once and a while.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Well said Lou..I guess that's why you trounced Barton so easily at one pocket..You got him out of his deadly
accurate 9 ball 'stroke' ! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Dick, JB's deadly stroke was problematic. Most of us knew that from the get-go :)

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• JB - the Jumping Bean.jpg
    JB - the Jumping Bean.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 0

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Brio--good word. I like what you said here. I have always thought it was a way to not play but sound like you could.

Petie, 1pocket is the toughest game. You need to have so many shots in your tool box... most 9ball players have no clue about.

Lou Figueroa

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... a guy from across the room who used to play (according to him) but who now plays strictly 9-Ball says, "He doesn't want to learn One Pocket because it will ruin his stroke for other games like 9-Ball." Does anybody here think that is true? What, if any, truth is there to it? ...

I think there is some truth to that. Playing 1P all the time WILL hurt one's 9-ball game. But I look at it the other way around. In order to keep up a good one-pocket game, it's important to play rotation games as well. Mike Surber always said to play 9-ball along with one pocket.

The reason is because in 9-ball it's routine to shoot long shots, which is not nearly as common in one-pocket. That's why so many of us have a tendency to miss longer shots in one-pocket, which, in 9-ball would be routine.

The spatial perceptions are a consideration as well. In 9-ball the player will use the entire table, sending the OB's and the CB up and down and all around. In 1P we commonly work the balls in much smaller areas. And the perception of what goes on in those areas is critical to the game. So when we must broaden the area, or switch areas, we're often not comfortable with it.

~Doc

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Petie, there is no question that the speed, spins and strokes used for 1p are different than that of 9-ball. Similarly, there is no doubt in my mind that the bunting and safety play leave you ill-prepared for running out when you do get an open table. In my mind, being able to step up cold is just another one of the skills that is required to play 1p well.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is this - long, fairly straight shots at your pocket can be tough in 1p. However, 1p players like me jump right out of their chair at tough, off-angle shots that must be shot with a loaded inside ball. The same shots probably scare the hell out of a 9-ball player because he doesn't shoot them much. I played a ridiculously good ex-pro at 1p today and our session was no exception to my general observations.

Regarding DD, I agree - if he plays the same shots he calls in the booth, he would be a dead duck. I would also tell him this: that 4-rail kick you love is useful ONLY if the route isn't blocked by a ball. Go to the third rail and look at where the ball is coming off. Half the time he calls that shot (which is roughly once per game), the shot isn't even there.

My take on DD is that his game was sufficient for his era, where most folks were straight pool crossovers. That short punch stroke aint gonna cut it these days when the players will shoot you head off your shoulders.

Is anyone aware of Ronnie's stroke looked like in his heyday? Was it the same as it was in the '88 match?

Yeh, Allen Hopkins couldn't be anyone with that, 'short punch' stroke! :rolleyes: And, at ALL games, NOT one dimensional, like many players today! ;)

lfigueroa

Verified Member
interesting subject....

i think (for all the reasons given and probably more) 1P is the hardest/most intricate game that there is - i guess that's what appeals to me. (i wouldn't walk around the corner to watch the best players in the world play 8/9/10 ball on a barbox - probably not a real pool table either.)

given all the talk about golf games lately, i have a belief/theory that going back and fourth from a snooker table to a pool table will screw up your game and requires some acclimation after playing on the big table with the small balls for a while (for me) - pool balls are much livelier, there is a different pocketing stroke, the angles and speeds are much different, etc. (imho)

Dustin, 1pocket is the toughest game. You need 14.1 knowledge, bank pool, straight rail, and a little 9ball.

It rocks :)

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member

No disrespect intended, but when I saw RA in St. Louis, late 90's, he had a big swarp stroke.

HOWEVER, it is worth noting that so did Ralph Greenleaf and Willie Hoppe.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member

I think there is some truth to that. Playing 1P all the time WILL hurt one's 9-ball game. But I look at it the other way around. In order to keep up a good one-pocket game, it's important to play rotation games as well. Mike Surber always said to play 9-ball along with one pocket.

The reason is because in 9-ball it's routine to shoot long shots, which is not nearly as common in one-pocket. That's why so many of us have a tendency to miss longer shots in one-pocket, which, in 9-ball would be routine.

The spatial perceptions are a consideration as well. In 9-ball the player will use the entire table, sending the OB's and the CB up and down and all around. In 1P we commonly work the balls in much smaller areas. And the perception of what goes on in those areas is critical to the game. So when we must broaden the area, or switch areas, we're often not comfortable with it.

~Doc

Doc, lot to be said for cross training.

Lou Figueroa

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
The reason why I asked about RA's stroke is that if he was able to get out from everywhere like the stories tell, I would be surprised that he did it using the stroke he had in that video.

bstroud

Verified Member
The reason why I asked about RA's stroke is that if he was able to get out from everywhere like the stories tell, I would be surprised that he did it using the stroke he had in that video.

Ever look at Reyes' stroke?

Bill S.

lfigueroa

Verified Member

I have often said that we all create our own personal realities when it comes to pool. And in RA's case he created a reality that, with the stroke he had, could accomplish incredible things. He learned to use the stroke he had.

it's one of the reasons one should always take the instructor taught, pretty as a picture, pendulum stroke theories with a huge honking grain of salt.

Lou Figueroa

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Ever look at Reyes' stroke?

Bill S.

While he does not pull his cue back in a straight line, his stroke is of sufficient length that that he can generate the speed and spin required to do anything.

While I would not teach his stroke to a new player, i can think of many players who have poorer fundamentals.

backplaying

Verified Member
You certainly have to know what your stroke feels like, after bunting a while it's a mystery to those who haven't learned that. Shooting a lot gets you in rythm and you'll take it for granted, but if you can't turn it on when you need it, you'll have problems til you master that. :eek:
Rod.

Yes, I have to get in a rhythm to have a chance at getting in stroke in rotation games, which hasn't happened much since I've been back playing and I haven't been able to a just and be a good ball runner in one pocket yet, because of it. I seem to miss balls playing one hole, I wouldn't think of missing playing 9 or 10 ball.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I seem to miss balls playing one hole, I wouldn't think of missing playing 9 or 10 ball.

Everybody does. Period. There are NO exceptions. It is part of the game. Getting out of your chair and having to smoke one down the rail is another skill you have to learn - some do it poorly, some do it well.

backplaying

Verified Member
Petie, 1pocket is the toughest game. You need to have so many shots in your tool box... most 9ball players have no clue about.

Lou Figueroa

Out of the top ten one pocket players, I can't think of many who aren't great 9 ball players.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
While he does not pull his cue back in a straight line, his stroke is of sufficient length that that he can generate the speed and spin required to do anything.

While I would not teach his stroke to a new player, i can think of many players who have poorer fundamentals.

Efren's stroke is reminiscent of Jim Furyk's golf swing! Looks like crap going back, but, like ALL great golfer's at contact his club is as perfect as Ben Hogan's! This in pool, not so much in snooker and 3C players, pool players fundamentals are NOT always perfect. But, as Buddy Hall's stroke is perfect from start to finish, Efren's looks identical to his at contact, pure and straight!