Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Verified Member

Default Richie Richeson?

I watched a little bit of Richie playing Josh Roberts at the Space City tournament. With all the talk about who’s a top ten player, past and present, I was wondering where Richie would have been in his prime. I did play Richie once at a tournament many years ago in Kalamazoo and got smoked but that’s about all I really know of him.

Was he ever as good as players like 1P Rich or Wayne in Santa Monica or Piano Man in Baltimore, guys like that? Or maybe as good as Evan Lunda is now?
Just curious what some of you guys think.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:48 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
I watched a little bit of Richie playing Josh Roberts at the Space City tournament. With all the talk about whoís a top ten player, past and present, I was wondering where Richie would have been in his prime. I did play Richie once at a tournament many years ago in Kalamazoo and got smoked but thatís about all I really know of him.

Was he ever as good as players like 1P Rich or Wayne in Santa Monica or Piano Man in Baltimore, guys like that? Or maybe as good as Evan Lunda is now?
IMO he is better than Wayne or Rich and they are both good players. Doubt he could beat Lunda now that Evan is a rising star, but Richie has gambled with top players with a little weight for a long time and given them all they want.

I have not heard about him in much action lately, but he can play. You are liable to see him in action at Derby City.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:55 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
IMO he is better than Wayne or Rich and they are both good players. Doubt he could beat Lunda now that Evan is a rising star, but Richie has gambled with top players with a little weight for a long time and given them all they want.

I have not heard about him in much action lately, but he can play. You are liable to see him in action at Derby City.
He was never the same player after he lost his playing cue to his exwife on divorse court. And I'm serious. I saw him last in maybe 2007 at DCC and he told me this.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:56 PM
Verified Member

I have several one-pocket match videos and he could definitely play - I always liked to watch him. In '96 he beat Grady Mathews and in '98 he beat Steve Cook. Reyes beat him in one, and Shannon Daulton beat him twice. Fearless opponent.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:45 AM
Verified Member

Rich in LA, before he quit playing, 10+ years ago, would play any top pro. He could move and shoot with the best of them. Richie probably has the edge in heart and gamble. Tough one because Rich beat Efrin with a ball at Santa Monica. Rich used to play anytime Efrin was in LA. He is a fun guy and his wife doesnít miss. I gave her 9/7 and it was the worst shellacking ever at Santa Monica. Ooooouch.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Richie R plays with the toughness of a bulldog. He always seems to be in action at DCC -- in fact one year he was the "Louie Roberts Award" winner for action.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Verified Member

I played Richie in a tournament in Houston about 2 years ago at Boogies in a race to 4. He won the flip of the coin, broke, made one on the break and ran out. I broke, did not make one, he kicked across the short rail into the stack and made one and ran out 8. He broke, made one and ran 8. In a race to 4, I am down 3 games and have got to break one time. In the 4th game, I have him down 7 to 0, I double kiss a bank and he runs 8. That my friends is a good old fashion ass kicking.

Jim
Old 12-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Verified Member

Default Richie Richeson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McCary View Post
I played Richie in a tournament in Houston about 2 years ago at Boogies in a race to 4. He won the flip of the coin, broke, made one on the break and ran out. I broke, did not make one, he kicked across the short rail into the stack and made one and ran out 8. He broke, made one and ran 8. In a race to 4, I am down 3 games and have got to break one time. In the 4th game, I have him down 7 to 0, I double kiss a bank and he runs 8. That my friends is a good old fashion ass kicking.

Jim

Damn. Thatís pretty strong.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrzbill View Post
Rich in LA, before he quit playing, 10+ years ago, would play any top pro. He could move and shoot with the best of them. Richie probably has the edge in heart and gamble. Tough one because Rich beat Efrin with a ball at Santa Monica. Rich used to play anytime Efrin was in LA. He is a fun guy and his wife doesnít miss. I gave her 9/7 and it was the worst shellacking ever at Santa Monica. Ooooouch.
Richard has been back playing for about 4 months (after a 3+ year break). He had developed a hitch before he quit playing and it was badly affecting his game. He no longer has the hitch. We are just waiting for action players to show up in Santa Monica.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
I watched a little bit of Richie playing Josh Roberts at the Space City tournament. With all the talk about who’s a top ten player, past and present, I was wondering where Richie would have been in his prime. I did play Richie once at a tournament many years ago in Kalamazoo and got smoked but that’s about all I really know of him.

As much as I like Wayne and appreciate Rich's game, they would both be slight underdogs to Richie imo. Richie has an higher top speed and is a far more experienced high stakes gambler. Get the bet up there in the stratosphere and he becomes a big favorite. I'm not sure if Richie still plays at that same high level though. He may be past his prime now.

Last edited by jay helfert; 12-12-2018 at 02:13 PM.