Allen Hopkins vs Nick Varner

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
If these two would have played a race to 50 in 1P, in their respective primes, who do you think would have won & by what score? Thoughts on their styles?
Thanks.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Shot clock required and in increments of HOURS... Nick would out move Allen and the race would take, in 12 hour chunks, IMO maybe 5 - 7 days.

:rolleyes:

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Well, If they played in their primes, a race to 50- noone would have won YET. It would still be game 4 and all the balls uptable.

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
I'd pick Hopkins.

Hopkins could shoot lights out in his day and he just seems a more "finished" or complete one pocket player than Nick.

Varner in 1989 might be the favorite to beat anyone from today at any other game though. The little Colonel went crazy with it that year and dominated the tour.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
BUD GREEN said:
I'd pick Hopkins.

Hopkins could shoot lights out in his day and he just seems a more "finished" or complete one pocket player than Nick.

Varner in 1989 might be the favorite to beat anyone from today at any other game though. The little Colonel went crazy with it that year and dominated the tour.

I've seen a lot of accu-stats matches of both players. In my opinion Hopkins would have took the cash, but he would have been too tired to spend it.;)

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
BUD GREEN said:
I'd pick Hopkins.

Both players are great and they play every game good . They have no weeknesses.

And the both have great determination. The have all the great qualities that a champion should have.

And both in thier prime will win a lot off tournements. And the both have caracter and class.

And a happy personality.And I forgot one more important factor. They are both very smart players. And make very view mistakes.

In all 4 games nine ball one pocket banks and straight pool.

They are both way up twords they top. Thier arent too many player around that can compete with them in all 4 games. And they both love too gamble.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Slight edge...

Slight edge...

... Hopkins. Even tho the cheap pr*ck made me pay $10 to get into the Expo that he ran at Valley Forge. He promised to duke me into the joint, but when I got there he didnt answer his phone. Later, after I saw him in the
Expo and lamented that "after 50 years and 30 long distance phone calls (can you venture a guess as to what that was about?), I can't get a comp?" He commiserated with me about having to pay, but made no move to his pocket for the sawbuck refund.

Beard

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
... Hopkins. Even tho the cheap pr*ck made me pay $10 to get into the Expo that he ran at Valley Forge. He promised to duke me into the joint, but when I got there he didnt answer his phone. Later, after I saw him in the room and lamented that "after 50 years and 30 long distance phone calls (can you venture a guess as to what that was about?), I can't get a comp?" He commiserated with me about having to pay, but made no move to his pocket for the sawbuck refund.

Beard

Your slipping Freddy what happened too the old move. Can I baro 10 dollaers too get in.

Because I donr have any money on me. You had a chance to out manover him. Or you could have sai Ill pay you later.

Or you could have asket him too back you too get in?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Too late

Too late

Artie Bodendorfer said:
Your slipping Freddy what happened too the old move. Can I baro 10 dollaers too get in.

Because I donr have any money on me. You had a chance to out manover him. Or you could have sai Ill pay you later.

Or you could have asket him too back you too get in?

It was too late. The $20 for me and John Bosnak had already been paid 2 hours earlier.

Beard