One Pocket Now The Game

baby huey

Verified Member
I have noticed that One Pocket is now taking over the PPV arena and in some cases out drawing the rotation events. Recently I played in the West Coast Swing event at Fremont and in the One Pocket event there were about 60 players for the 5K added event. Only about 45 players entered the ten ball event with a 10K added. What happened? Also in the PPV events recently, One Pocket was the game being played. I think pool in general is making a major shift towards games where being a great ball striker does not necessarily equate to what the players and spectators want to play or to watch. We now have pool rooms where the game being played is almost solely One Pocket. More and more players are trying the game, asking questions and seeking out information about how to play the game. My opinion is that players are seeing themselves more able to compete against the top players when they play One Pocket vs nine or ten ball.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I have noticed that One Pocket is now taking over the PPV arena and in some cases out drawing the rotation events. Recently I played in the West Coast Swing event at Fremont and in the One Pocket event there were about 60 players for the 5K added event. Only about 45 players entered the ten ball event with a 10K added. What happened? Also in the PPV events recently, One Pocket was the game being played. I think pool in general is making a major shift towards games where being a great ball striker does not necessarily equate to what the players and spectators want to play or to watch. We now have pool rooms where the game being played is almost solely One Pocket. More and more players are trying the game, asking questions and seeking out information about how to play the game. My opinion is that players are seeing themselves more able to compete against the top players when they play One Pocket vs nine or ten ball.

At least we spend less time in the electric chair. :)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

You are right. Too bad it did not happen 30 years ago.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I think you're on to something there, Jerry. But IMO if there is a gradual shift to one-pocket it is player driven. Guys who play a lot are seeing that the rotation games are not only too simple, but they are not overly challenging.

9 & 10 ball have become run out games, with the better players being so good at that discipline that it's practically routine. Players see that there is more strategy at 1P, and the handicapping potential is practically unlimited. The young turks still attempt to run out, but there is much more absorbing play in between times.

As far as spectators, the only people who watch 1P are themselves 1P players. Our game will never be a popular spectator endeavor. But then pool itself is a very low spectator draw-- for reasons that have been well hashed out and discussed at length.

When I lived in Calif. during the 80s & 90s, I couldn't even beg guys to play one-pocket. Almost no one played it. Now the game is commonly played up and down the coast from L.A. to the S.F. Bay area. Quite a shift, huh?

~Doc

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Not only is it a better game..."The King off Games" the spot/spread ALWAYS plays.

Explained:
Player A is better than Player B by two balls at rotation and thus when they play 10 ball Player B gets the Wild 9 & 10. Some days this is worthless and other times it plays huge. Thus ball handicaps can be tricky. Generally the balls are talking to you. Maybe two ways (usually one) to hit each shot which equals boring.

Now playing one pockets 10-7 always plays and we can even adjust based on who is breaking. This allows for more exact handicaps which are fair for both sides. Therefore has become the chosen discipline of the gambler. Furthermore even taking out some of the randomness of the break from the equation. One Pocket rewards players with complete skillsets and takes out the jump cue...how good is that,

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Not only is it a better game..."The King off Games" the spot/spread ALWAYS plays.

Explained:
Player A is better than Player B by two balls at rotation and thus when they play 10 ball Player B gets the Wild 9 & 10. Some days this is worthless and other times it plays huge. Thus ball handicaps can be tricky. Generally the balls are talking to you. Maybe two ways (usually one) to hit each shot which equals boring.

Now playing one pockets 10-7 always plays and we can even adjust based on who is breaking. This allows for more exact handicaps which are fair for both sides. Therefore has become the chosen discipline of the gambler. Furthermore even taking out some of the randomness of the break from the equation. One Pocket rewards players with complete skillsets and takes out the jump cue...how good is that,

Nick, all of what you say is true but the most important truth is that the game is now being noticed far more than ever before thanks in large part to the internet. One Pocket has always been a game that novice players steered away from due to its complexity. In pre internet days the only place to acquire enough knowledge of the game was to gamble with someone you knew ahead of time was going to rob you.

Now people have access to far more information regarding pool than ever before, much of it is free, and that greater knowledge shared by so many more people naturally will gravitate them to more complex ideas. Simple things get boring after a while and One Pocket is anything but simple.
Long live One Pocket!

Tom

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Anyone can understand.... the concept....that's his pocket and this is my pocket, first to get 8 balls down wins. This is the games ''hidden card'' like Texas holdum. Instant replay would be very enjoyable to see on certain shots.

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Anyone can understand.... the concept....that's his pocket and this is my pocket, first to get 8 balls down wins. This is the games ''hidden card'' like Texas holdum. Instant reply would be very enjoyable to see on certain shots.

Bill, the concept behind chess; win the other guys king. Simple, right? :D

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I think you're on to something there, Jerry. But IMO if there is a gradual shift to one-pocket it is player driven. Guys who play a lot are seeing that the rotation games are not only too simple, but they are not overly challenging.

9 & 10 ball have become run out games, with the better players being so good at that discipline that it's practically routine. Players see that there is more strategy at 1P, and the handicapping potential is practically unlimited. The young turks still attempt to run out, but there is much more absorbing play in between times.

As far as spectators, the only people who watch 1P are themselves 1P players. Our game will never be a popular spectator endeavor. But then pool itself is a very low spectator draw-- for reasons that have been well hashed out and discussed at length.

When I lived in Calif. during the 80s & 90s, I couldn't even beg guys to play one-pocket. Almost no one played it. Now the game is commonly played up and down the coast from L.A. to the S.F. Bay area. Quite a shift, huh?

~Doc

I agree with just about everything you said with the exception of onepocket never becoming a spectator endeavor. I believe in the years to come that onepocket will be watched by more pool enthusiast than any other game maybe with the exception of 8ball. Our game has a certain appeal that grows on players of all ages, with excellent commentary in terms of explaining the game as the players play will continue to build more interest in the game for everyone. Your reasoning emboldened above is exactly why our game will grow and continue to gain in popularity.

Dr. Bill

Henry

Verified Member

~Doc
Hey Doc I think I remember you trying to get me to play one pocket unsuccessfully. One pocket is the game I have been attempting to learn it for a few years now and it can be brutal. The thing about one pocket is you get to see how good these guys really are because they have to know every aspect of the game. In 9 ball if you can shoot straight and get the right angles you can be competitive, not so in one pocket as I have found out. I love the game and can't stand to play rotation games. I pay to watch every streamed event and won't watch 9 ball on a free stream. Getting ready to watch the final day of Chohan and Bustamonte. What a great match up.

Shortstop

Verified Member
From
Chisqztown
I agree with Island Drive... One pocket it like Texas Hold`Em....Easy to understand,how to play & a lifetime yo learn!!...That is the beauty & the gaining European interest,does not hurt!!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I agree with just about everything you said with the exception of onepocket never becoming a spectator endeavor. I believe in the years to come that onepocket will be watched by more pool enthusiast than any other game maybe with the exception of 8ball. Our game has a certain appeal that grows on players of all ages, with excellent commentary in terms of explaining the game as the players play will continue to build more interest in the game for everyone. Your reasoning emboldened above is exactly why our game will grow and continue to gain in popularity.

Dr. Bill
You're right, Bill. 1P could become popular to watch, but only by pool enthusiasts, and most especially by players who already play 1P. It would never be a good game for public spectating any more than is chess. The rules are, as Island Drive says, simple enough. But beyond that, the game quickly becomes too cerebral for sports viewers. People don't want to see strategy and moving. They want to see balls shot into the pockets.

~Doc

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
You're right, Bill. 1P could become popular to watch, but only by pool enthusiasts, and most especially by players who already play 1P. It would never be a good game for public spectating any more than is chess. The rules are, as Island Drive says, simple enough. But beyond that, the game quickly becomes too cerebral for sports viewers. People don't want to see strategy and moving. They want to see balls shot into the pockets.

~Doc

Doc your either right or wrong. Pool is too difficult for the average mind, how ironic would it be.... if this game was able to get their attention ....I too would be amazed, but if there were slo-mo reruns after some of the shots, that would be great. I don't play golf or tennis, but I watch them and enjoy the replays allot. Ya never know.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I have noticed a lot of players watching matches while they are not playing, they don't watch the nine ball games they are watching us play 1P. I am also seeing a lot more guys asking why did you shoot that shot instead of this one, once they see the strategy behind the shot they really start to like the game. Also the creativeness of shots seems to interest them.---Smitty

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

~Doc

This makes perfect sense to me on all levels...
In order to watch one pocket, you must at the very least have some rudimentary knowledge of the game, or a burning desire to learn it for some reason. Otherwise, you're going to sleep...

John Q Citizen isn't going to watch a free stream of the worlds best one pocket players, he knows nothing about the game and cares even less. It's a boring game if you are in the dark? You must be a pool player or you ain't tuning in.

The recent popularity of the game of one pocket can only be explained by the fact that there are millions of novice pool players. A small %tage of which will improve their game and seek a more challenging discipline than 8 ball, or 9 ball.

While in times past the knowledge available prevented learning the game of one pocket, today people who take an interest in learning the game have a world of knowledge at their fingertips. This allows for the reasoning that the game is more popular now than ever before. When it's easier to learn and improve, the game wins, and the player pool expands.

With all the learning tools available today and the expert commentary provided by some of our very own here at O.P.O, it's not hard to imagine the popularity of the game growing by leaps and bounds. It's a great game, once played, twice hooked...

Nice analysis Doc, good thread Jerry. :)