Need to know.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Before the Luat/ Dickson thread vanishes I thought it would be educational to some to consider the following, what I thought to be "note worthy" points.

Before the Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
Of course he made that from there.

I feel compelled to preempt my comment with the fact that I really don't like to be argumentative, and I know it is not really wise to tell people who play better than you they are wrong, but that safe luat shot that nobody liked was probably a cunning way to protect the combo, which I am sure he was aware of (and quite frankly was probably looking for a better angle at it). Usually I agree with the smart money on here for the most part, the times I don't I speak up, so it can be seen as constant decent, but it isn't. Just for clarity's sake

I don't see the ticky Freddy was talking about; I just don't understand where the 10 is going. Can somebody diagram that one please

I would bet anything Luat won this game of course. I just don't think this was a case of bad shot, and good result, but he got lucky. I think he made a good shot on that safe as he probably was drooling over that combo.

I guess you guys would argue cole made a terrible shot from there to put him over there. Can't argue with that for sure.
[/QUOTE]

Tyler, one must understand the the probable forecast when choosing options to predetermine the value in the available options. Obviously to do this we would have to acquire some level of experience in order to intelligently choose a viable option. The more experienced the player the clearer the picture becomes in choosing options. We learn this through "trial and error" No different here in choosing options for both of these positions being discussed. I will try to explain the concept that I would use to determine what option I would choose, and why.

Hopefully i'm not coming across as a "know it all" like I tried to explain before i'm trying to educate those who feel that I know enough for them to consider, or strongly consider my teachings. After all...I am a doctor. And I also do my own grocery shopping.

In the first picture where the cluster was positioned on the side rail (one diamond up from the pocket) I would try to search for an option that allowed me to "advance" the cluster closer to my pocket and preferably position a ball near or on the bottom rail and at the same time ... protect the position. If I couldn't find an option that would both advance the cluster and protect the position I would then have to settle for an option that would either advance the cluster or protect the position. This is where it starts to get cloudy in trying to figure out what option is the better one ..in terms of advancing the cluster or protecting the position we have. Also we must consider ally's that we have at our disposal ..such as distance and positioning the cue ball on or near a rail when choosing our option. Luat decided to protect his position and leave distance and cue ball placement as ally's in an attempt to put pressure on Dickson. Cowboy made a good point when he said that you should consider the player you're playing when choosing options. Which was evidenced in Dickson's reply to Luat's shot. Dickson did not have the experience nor the understanding of how to combat the position he was left in and chose a weak reply to the option.

This brings us to the second picture where Dickson shot from. In the first picture I explained how I would be thinking in playing an offensive game to either develop a stronger position and apply pressure, or protecting a position and applying pressure using ally's. Now I will explain my thinking on....stopping momentum that my opponent has built up, or curtailing the direction of his plan. To do this we need to have an understanding on...what position will serve us best in stopping his development and why. In this position the best way to stop the progress and pressure he's applying is to position the cue ball in back of the area of pressure (the cluster) and "force" your opponent to play off the balls that are applying pressure and move them further away from the threatening position their in. The Ghost's shot will accomplish this, as well as the two rail kick shot, however, I like the two rail kick shot best for several reasons. It's crucial that you accurately position the cue ball behind the cluster to a position that forces your opponent to either play off of one of the balls in the cluster, or take an intentional scratch to continue with his plan. The two rail kick shot is an easier shot to judge, in terms of both speed and direction, the two most crucial points to achieve in your attempt to stop his plan. In either case you have effectively chosen the correct option in your attempt to curtail his plan.

Finally, back to the original position where Luat shot from. Like I mentioned earlier, we're looking for an option that develops and protects, and we may just have one with banking the 15ball near the side pocket into the cluster in an attempt to advance the cluster and protect it by floating across table to find shelter in back of the striped ball that is postioned near mid table and using that ball as your cover ball to protect your newly developed position. Imo that's the optimum position to be in, as the aggressor. If the speed of the shot allows you to do it.

Dr. Bill