1p practice, if such a thing exists??

jeremypcarroll

From
Huntsville, AL
This is my first post in this organization...

I have been playing pool for 3 years, steadily growing in skill each month. I do not play in the APA anymore, but when I stopped about 6 months ago I was a 7 in 9ball to anyone who needs a measure of my skill for reference.

I am coming to love one pocket more and more each time that I play it.

Of course, experience and putting up some $$ is the best way to learn and get better at this game. I understand that.

But what do you all do to advance your one pocket game when you're absolutely alone? I would like to hear some suggestions so I can fill my time more appropriately when I'm at the pool hall.

Thanks!

Last edited:

TomRoden

Verified Member
practice

practice

The break is the most important shot of the game. Practice it over and over, until you know pretty much what happens after contact. Use different breaks, even the unorthodox breaks. as Grady said " TRY NOT TO LOSE THE GAME ON THE BREAK" good advice. you can't have too much information regarding OP

senor

Verified Member
Shot making and cue ball control.

For shot making I would set up 50-yard line shots, some of them spot shots, some of them with the OB in the center of the table and the cue ball on the spot and some of them where the OB was on the spot but i placed the CB beneath the OB and cut the balls in the side. I would alternate pockets with each shot and I would only move to the next location once I had pocketed 10 in a row.

For shot making and cue ball control I would place 12 OBs on the diamonds of the long rails, not frozen, and ball in hand in the kitchen and run all 12 balls without hitting another ball.

For cue ball control I practiced caroms on a pool table, using the CB to try to hit both OBs in the same shot. The two OBs can get in some pretty weird spots and it's a good tool to figure out different things to do with the CB.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Practice kicking... to hit balls and when taking intentional fouls. FEW people ever take the time to do this and it is what can make the difference in ALOT of games

beatle

Verified Member
yes kicking and banking. they go together. try throwing out all 15 balls and taking ball in hand on every shot and shooting a bank.

when you get to be able to make at least 11 or 12 in a row before you miss most times, means you have mastered simple banks and need to do that.

then go to harder banks, like long rail and two and three rail. and hitting them at different speeds and english.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
1p practice, if such a thing exists??

yes kicking and banking. they go together. try throwing out all 15 balls and taking ball in hand on every shot and shooting a bank.

when you get to be able to make at least 11 or 12 in a row before you miss most times, means you have mastered simple banks and need to do that.

then go to harder banks, like long rail and two and three rail. and hitting them at different speeds and english.

I like this idea. Tks

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Of course, experience and putting up some $$ is the best way to learn and get better at this game. I understand that.

I put my money up by taking lessons from a 1st class player/teacher. You will learn the game and what to practice when solo.
Me.. I practice take outs, banks and currently trying to develop a good touch. Have fun. Welcome to 1p.org

keoneyo

Verified Member
Look and Listen. Watch good players in your room play. Not just the daring shots to the hole but the important safeties as well.
Ask them questions at the proper time. Why they did such and such. Listen.
Free videos on You Tube. Shannon Daulton, Cliff Joyner, Richie Richeson, Efren, etc.
A big part of winning one pocket is from your opponents mistakes. Learn what yours are. Work on them.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
The break is the most important shot of the game. Practice it over and over, until you know pretty much what happens after contact. Use different breaks, even the unorthodox breaks. as Grady said " TRY NOT TO LOSE THE GAME ON THE BREAK" good advice. you can't have too much information regarding OP

To complete this phrase: when discussing how aggressive you should be on the break, Grady often commented,"I don't try to win the game with a break; instead, I try not to lose with the break.

In other words, break only as aggressively as our can without losing the cue ball or selling out the corner ball.

As your skill increases and the players you match up with get better, it becomes very important to break 'em nice.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Good advice. I'd add, after each break, take the opponent's first shot, then rack 'em and do it again.

Also, a lot of knowledge can be gained by watching good players play and hearing expert commentary about their shots and options. accu-stats.com offers many quality DVDs at reasonable prices. I'd recommend looking for some marked "BI" which indicates that Bill Incardona commentates.

One more thing: banks and kicks are far more common and valuable in one-pocket than in 9-ball or 8-ball. Practice them.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have had a sneak preview of Tom Wirth's upcoming book, and I think you will like working with it. He is planning it to be spiral bound to easily open at a pool table, and it features a whole bunch of situations that you will get a lot out of trying and practicing.

I always interpreted Grady's comment about not losing the game on the break as true for both players -- the one breaking but even more so the incoming shooter. For that reason, I like racking and breaking, which gives you great practice with your break, and then following up a handful of shots to try to both get out of the break, or capitalize depending on whose shot you are taking.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
All of Grady's videos are must-have resources for solid 1p. Also, Nick Varner has some 1p practice DVD's that are very good.

Practice running 8 or even more into one pocket.

Get some of the more famous 1p matches and "move" with the players and try to understand and critique it. For commentary, be on the lookout for Grady, Bentivegna, Varner, and Incardona. The commentary is worth as much as and often more than the play.

Also, play other games. All games hone certain skills and 1p calls on ALL skills.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

I have been playing pool for 3 years, steadily growing in skill each month. I do not play in the APA anymore, but when I stopped about 6 months ago I was a 7 in 9ball to anyone who needs a measure of my skill for reference.

But what do you all do to advance your one pocket game when you're absolutely alone? I would like to hear some suggestions so I can fill my time more appropriately when I'm at the pool hall.

Thanks!

All of the things mentioned in this thread so far are great practice. I always liked breaking and then getting out of the break, I think it lead to me being very good at responding to the break.

As far as practice routines go I would suggest shooting the "L" frontwards and backwards, in rotation. In other words, start from the footrail and up to the spot and to the siderail. When you can do this everytime then do it in the reverse direction, starting at the siderail working to the spot and then down to the footrail. If the cueball hits another ball you start over.

Here is a great practice routine that I saw Pittsburgh John showing a guy at the Rack many years ago. Take BIH behind the line and shoot at pocket B.:

OP Practice.jpg

Once you can average 4 try to average 7. 4 isn't as easy to average as it may look at first. If the cueball hits any other balls they stay where they are and you keep shooting till you miss. You may end up shooting combos or banks in the end but it all counts.

I've seen all 15 balls run one time. My high run is 12 with the uptable balls all being one diamond closer to the side pocket. The 15 was also run like this as it's so difficult it made sense for us mere mortals to move those two groups of balls up a little.

Dennis

Eengat

Verified Member
There is footage from Adam Wheeler where he shows a workout of specific onepocket shots
I recommend this
Twenty minutes of two minutes per position....a quick fix
But do this 4 days/wk and it's gonna feel better and natural

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

Thanks!

I think that most guys serious about their game all have a pretty extensive notepad, three ring binder, etc. of things that they see/learn/observe to work on/practice. I have several three ring binders broken down into subject areas: i.e. "Break Returns" "Position Shots" "Short Banks" "Long Banks" "Kicks" etc... I've picked up a lot of stuff from this site alone - including what I call "The Cowboy Dennis Drill" outlined above.

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you what I personally use as a blank notes page:

blanktablediagram.jpg

:)

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
I think that most guys serious about their game all have a pretty extensive notepad, three ring binder, etc. of things that they see/learn/observe to work on/practice. I have several three ring binders broken down into subject areas: i.e. "Break Returns" "Position Shots" "Short Banks" "Long Banks" "Kicks" etc... I've picked up a lot of stuff from this site alone - including what I call "The Cowboy Dennis Drill" outlined above.

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you what I personally use as a blank notes page:

View attachment 11785

:)
The best advice I can give you is learn how to think. IF you learn how to think. You will improve your game a lot. And by thinking you will learn the correct way to play the game. Thinking covers the game. The movies. And what to do on every shot. if you are already a good shooter. You don't have to waist more time. Shooting banks position kick shots. And all that kind off stuff.

You know this stuff already. Learn the game and what to do. On every shot and position you are in. Your shooting. Will only take you as far as your ability lets you go. Knowledge is the strength and power. And knowledge has no limit. Like shooting. Have a good player. Show you what to shoot. And point out your mistakes. So you don't keep repeating them.

Ability and knowledge. Is what makes champions. Learn your lessons.And you will keep improving. Having the correct answers. Is the solution to be great. At pool and all walks i n life.