Make It Happen 'format' odds

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This tournament will be played on a 5X10 Diamond pool table, which Imo will favor the ball strikers as opposed to the players that are better movers. However Imo all the players in this tournament clearly understand how to move playing one pocket Now that that's out of the way lets go on. Below will be the rules of the tournament, including all tie breakers to determine the winner (if needed)
* Round robin format (single)
* Race to three
* Foul on all balls
* 60 second shot clock (once the player addresses the shot he will be in compliance)
* Referee all matches

For wagering purposes only (whatever it may be)

The player with the best record will be awarded the winner of the "Make It Happen" tournament.

* In the event that 2 players end up with identical records we will have a playoff.
* In the event that 3 or more players end up with identical records the two players with the most games won (total in tournament) will have a playoff
* If still tied then the two players that lost the least games (total in tournament) will have a playoff.
* If still tied then the two players that pocketed the most balls (balls pocketed %) will have a playoff.
* If still tied then the two players that gave up the fewest balls pocketed will be in the playoff.
* If still tied then i'll personally pay off all bets.

Below is a guestimate on the odds for each player to win the event.

Pagulayan--------plus 200/100
Van Boening------plus 225/100
Frost--------------plus 300/100
Deuel--------------plus 350/100
Daulton------------plus 400/100
Reyes--------------plus 400/100

Now all you need to do is "LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE"

3 DAYS UNTIL POST TIME

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
I see naught

I see naught

In the way of mention of a 5x10 in reviewing the material I recieved from Accu-Stats.

It does introduce a different flavor to the game.

It seems a shame, in a perverted sort of way, that the matches cannot be played on baise with clay balls.

As long as we are trying to resurect the 5x10 we might as well go all the way!

I think I would put Mr. Morales a bit further from the bottom .... of course no one has ever accused me of being smarter than a Doctor and I lay no claim to it even were I so accused.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
This tournament will be played on a 5X10 Diamond pool table, which Imo will favor the ball strikers as opposed to the players that are better movers. However Imo all the players in this tournament clearly understand how to move playing one pocket Now that that's out of the way lets go on. Below will be the rules of the tournament, including all tie breakers to determine the winner (if needed)
* Race to three
* Foul on all balls
* 60 second shot clock (once the player addresses the shot he will be in compliance)
* Referee all matches

The player with the best record will be awarded the winner of the "Make It Happen" tournament.

* In the event that 2 players end up with identical records we will have a playoff.
* In the event that 3 or more players end up with identical records the two players with the most games won (total in tournament) will have a playoff
* If still tied then the two players that lost the least games (total in tournament) will have a playoff.
* If still tied then the two players that pocketed the most balls (balls pocketed %) will have a playoff.
* If still tied then the two players that gave up the fewest balls pocketed will be in the playoff.

4 DAYS UNTIL POST TIME

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill
in vew of dennis thread on picking the winner AND loser
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7732
can you give a guestimate of odds for each player being the one to lose the most games
thanks

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dr. Bill
in vew of dennis thread on picking the winner AND loser
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7732
can you give a guestimate of odds for each player being the one to lose the most games
thanks
Larry, the odds I posted are just my opinion on how these players will fare on the 5X10 table. In no way do I or any one else know what will happen, too many variables that haven't been tested. I based my opinion solely on how I feel the players will compete against the table, if they were plying on a 4-1/2X9 table I still may have picked Reyes as the one to beat. You should be able to draw your conclusion on the question you asked me based on the odds I put up for each player. Good luck.

Based on my odds the player that would win the most games would be Pagulayan. The player that should lose the most games would be either Reyes or Daulton. Pagulayan/Daulton then would be my guess of the remaining combinations.
Dr. Bill

Last edited:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI

* If still tied then i'll personally pay off all bets. This is nice, all you have to do is avoid seeing anyone in person LOL

Dr. Bill

I know Teddy the Greek will have different and better :eek: odds.

This is really sweet. I wish I could be there to see it in person.

It doesn't matter that it's only a race to 3 or that its a 5x10, this is a hell of a start for the kind of things that should be going on.

ulikastr8pool

Well-Known-Member
From
NYC
This tournament will be played on a 5X10 Diamond pool table, which Imo will favor the ball strikers as opposed to the players that are better movers.
Dr. Bill

Not to get off topic but, I would have thought the 5x10 might favor the mover over the shooter. But, then again, I've never played on a ten footer before. Is this because it's between top-tier players? I was thinking, if I were to play a stronger player than myself (very average player), that I'd prefer it on a 10 footer because he would have a tougher time getting all the way out. Also, I can send the cue ball up table more often and put the heat on. Just wondering anybody's thoughts on this..thx.

Also, I love Reyes getting 4/1:)

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Not to get off topic but, I would have thought the 5x10 might favor the mover over the shooter. But, then again, I've never played on a ten footer before. Is this because it's between top-tier players? I was thinking, if I were to play a stronger player than myself (very average player), that I'd prefer it on a 10 footer because he would have a tougher time getting all the way out. Also, I can send the cue ball up table more often and put the heat on. Just wondering anybody's thoughts on this..thx.

The theory is the smaller the table the better for the mover. If you were playing on a bar table if either player gets a shot he should be out so moving an getting the first shot is critical. So on a 10 footer the reverse is true than.. It dont do you know good if you out move the guy if you cant pocket the balls when you get a chance. Thats the theory however I am curious how this will play out... Im like you I LOVE REYES WITHE THE HIGHEST ODDS..never thought I would see that in a one pocket tournament

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

Be all that as it may, for years I played 10 to 8 better on a 5 x 10. For a good while I used to get outmoved on the 9ft'rs. With that extra room I think that there was just more room to find bank shots because I was never a great shooter (even tho for whatever reason, I was a much better shotmaker on a big table. And on a 6 x 12 playing snooker Artie had no chance and would often stake me on it. Go figure.)

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Not to get off topic but, I would have thought the 5x10 might favor the mover over the shooter. But, then again, I've never played on a ten footer before. Is this because it's between top-tier players? I was thinking, if I were to play a stronger player than myself (very average player), that I'd prefer it on a 10 footer because he would have a tougher time getting all the way out. (I can understand you wanting to play on a bigger table when playing a top player that's giving you weight, and I happen to agree with your reason why. However, the scenario you described does not support neither opinion on ...who has the edge on a 10 footer...the mover or the shooter..in this instance) Also, I can send the cue ball up table more often and put the heat on. Just wondering anybody's thoughts on this..thx.

My statement that the better ball strikers will have the edge playing on the 5X10 was based off of the ...assumed somewhat equal level of understanding of the game... All 6 players in this event are savvy players that understand pool, and clearly understand the game of one pocket. If there is a difference in edge in regard to moving it can't be much, especially on the 5X10 where escape options are more plentiful. With this understanding then the emphasis should swing to the favor of the player/players that hit the ball the most accurately. I believe that the ...8 and out move...will not be as strong on the big table, and we'll see more of a cat and mouse game to a degree which will then put more of a demand on coming with tougher shots. Imo.

The table conditions will be the best there is...fast cloth...new balls...excellent lighting. Which will aid in their ball running production. With this understanding I wouldn't be that surprised to see a lot of balls being run, after all they are who they are...the best. The better ball striker will earn the opportunity to start a run by coming with a good shot..more often, and will not leave as many opportunities for their opponent off of a missed ball ending their inning.

Dr. Bill

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
proposition bet for Dennis or Dr Bill

proposition bet for Dennis or Dr Bill

* Race to three
* Foul on all balls
* Referee all matches

3 DAYS UNTIL POST TIME

Dr. Bill

since both of you feel Efren is the dog in the upcoming accu-ststs event i would like to bet either of you $100. that Efren does not finish the event with the worst win/loss record. if Efren record ties for the worst record its a push and no bet. unlike dennis' other bets if i win i want the cash, rather than it going to the forum. if either of you like the bet just respond on this thread, first to respond has a bet. keith

ulikastr8pool

Well-Known-Member
From
NYC
Hacker, Freddy, Billy thanks for the replies. I'm trying to squeeze some of that pool wisdom out of you guys.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
since both of you feel Efren is the dog in the upcoming accu-ststs event i would like to bet either of you $100. that Efren does not finish the event with the worst win/loss record. if Efren record ties for the worst record its a push and no bet. unlike dennis' other bets if i win i want the cash, rather than it going to the forum. if either of you like the bet just respond on this thread, first to respond has a bet. keith

Keith, I agree with you, I don't think he will finish last either. My odds of 4/1 was on Efren not to win the tournament, it's hard to pick the player that will finish last. I believe that Efren still has the skills to win any one pocket tournament.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Billy-- Who's doing the commentary with you? Danny? There will be lots of matches. Y'all will need some help....;)

Doc

Doc, Ken Schumann the tournament director sits in, he's very knowledgeable and communicates well. I will miss the entire day on the 12th. Friday. My daughter will be in Ny and I'm going to visit with her.

Dr.Bill

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Keith, I agree with you, I don't think he will finish last either. My odds of 4/1 was on Efren not to win the tournament, it's hard to pick the player that will finish last. I believe that Efren still has the skills to win any one pocket tournament.

Dr. Bill

i agree, Efren wont be last, and I think its harder to pick to finishes the lowest than it is to pick the winner. going to be interesting and great!!!

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

There are more than two types of players when it comes to playing on a 5x10. You have your shooters, movers, and the third are the position players. It seems they've been forgotten what with the lack of 5x10 tables for so many years but they are the ones who will win.

You are correct that distance is safety on a 5x10 (a tight 5x10) but it's the same for your opponent.

Dennis

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Bata

Bata

Now if they were playing for lets say, winner gets $250,000 Reyes odds IMO change dramatically. If the payout was that high, would a bookie even wanna give 2/1 ?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Now if they were playing for lets say, winner gets $250,000 Reyes odds IMO change dramatically. If the payout was that high, would a bookie even wanna give 2/1 ?

If the payout was $250,000 to the winner you could be safe betting your last dollar they'd be whacking it up six ways.

Why would anyone give any odds on poolplayers doing anything? The only thing for certain is that anyone who bets on them will lose their money.

P.S. Efren's chances don't improve because the payout does. He's past his prime but is crafty enough to be in the hunt. Corey looks for ways to lose. Frost has to "feel" like winning to have a chance. Daulton probably is busy with life and not in stroke but who knows? SVB would be my #2 pick but I still see Alex winning.

Dennis