1P Gamblers - long term financial stability?

Leon

Hi, I have been reading a player interview each evening and also listening to the Ronnie Allen stories on Youtube. These stories are great and really get the imagination going and I am really enjoying them.

A lot of the stories are talking about playing large stakes money games in 1P regularly for tens of thousands of dollars. Figures that could easily set someone up for life if the money was invested or if they gambled wisely.

Does anyone know if many of these players used their winnings to buy houses, cars, retire early etc?

Cheers
Leon

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Leon, the short answer here is that few pool players are known as wise gamblers. It is also true that when large sums are wagered on pool matches, the wagers are generally by 'stake horses', who gamble by betting on the players, and not by the players, themselves. Complicated topic. 'Long term financial stability' is not a common phrase here, regarding either the players or the stake horses.

There are many members on this site who know a lot more about this than I do. It is possible you may get responses from some of them. I did not say probable.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
Hi, I have been reading a player interview each evening and also listening to the Ronnie Allen stories on Youtube. These stories are great and really get the imagination going and I am really enjoying them.

A lot of the stories are talking about playing large stakes money games in 1P regularly for tens of thousands of dollars. Figures that could easily set someone up for life if the money was invested or if they gambled wisely.

Does anyone know if many of these players used their winnings to buy houses, cars, retire early etc?

Cheers
Leon
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, no disrespect intended, but i doubt it--go to derby city, and watch just one of the top players--what happens usually? win 10k, lose 20k, win 5k etc.....i know a guy that used to be one of the top 9 ballers, and he can play any game very well----people play him, but they want the world from him, he came back from dcc with about 2500 hard earned dollars...... and he really had to work for it--could have easily gone the other way too......i suppose somebody could hit big and not squander the money, but thats rare.....not trying to be cynical, but thats just the way it is in pool, and its not going to change anytime soon......

Leon

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, no disrespect intended, but i doubt it--go to derby city, and watch just one of the top players--what happens usually? win 10k, lose 20k, win 5k etc.....i know a guy that used to be one of the top 9 ballers, and he can play any game very well----people play him, but they want the world from him, he came back from dcc with about 2500 hard earned dollars...... and he really had to work for it--could have easily gone the other way too......i suppose somebody could hit big and not squander the money, but thats rare.....not trying to be cynical, but thats just the way it is in pool, and its not going to change anytime soon......

Yes that is pretty much the response I expect lol :) It is a shame because if these players used the wits etc that they used to hustle then they could have been able to transfer that to building the small amounts that they were getting out of it.

Leon

Leon, the short answer here is that few pool players are known as wise gamblers. It is also true that when large sums are wagered on pool matches, the wagers are generally by 'stake horses', who gamble by betting on the players, and not by the players, themselves. Complicated topic. 'Long term financial stability' is not a common phrase here, regarding either the players or the stake horses.

There are many members on this site who know a lot more about this than I do. It is possible you may get responses from some of them. I did not say probable.

Thank you for the response, yes it would be nice also to learn how a lot of these players ended up once their playing days were behind them.

El Chapo

Verified Member
If you really think about what's going on, it's useless. Trex just won 50k, but Dennis lost 50k for that to happen. Net pool player winnings? Anybody? I do realize they have backers however.

Further, maybe they play again six months from now, and Dennis wins. Long term, that's what you're looking at... a fricking draw where maybe a pool hall makes some money along with a hot dog vendor outside the place. There's no stability whatsoever. It's exciting for us though.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

without doubt, we got three/four (and probably three/four routine lurkers) who can speak to it....but they won't....

If you really think about what's going on, it's useless. Trex just won 50k, but Dennis lost 50k for that to happen. Net pool player winnings? Anybody? I do realize they have backers however.

Further, maybe they play again six months from now, and Dennis wins. Long term, that's what you're looking at... a fricking draw where maybe a pool hall makes some money along with a hot dog vendor outside the place. There's no stability whatsoever. It's exciting for us though.

weenie beenie apparently was no dummy......

beatle

Verified Member
i know one that has become a multimillionaire many times over using pool as his stepping stone. there are a few but 95% of pool gamblers are suckers and have no chance of keeping any wins especially the pro players. the only ones that have stayed ahead are the hated lock artists that always win and know how to find people to play.

Leon

Almost all end up dead and broke but had lots of sex and drugs:eek:

That reminds me of that old WC Field's quote - '“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol, and wild women. The other half I wasted.”

:)

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Almost all end up dead and broke but had lots of sex and drugs:eek:
dead broke and got fk'd a lot is correct.
i know one that has become a multimillionaire many times over using pool as his stepping stone.
Or uses pool as a front.

I do not know any successful gamblers. I know 2 that came home to their wives and told them how much debt they are in after it caught up. Surprise surprise.
The gamblers I knew growing up are nowhere today. I have a family member that hit a large twin double in 1964. Worst thing that ever happened to him. The money went back...and oh did it go back. It has been said...the best hustle is a full time job with a paycheck.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The same internal drive that lets you win a lot, makes you lose a lot.
I've done both. :) "When you gamble on the outside, you sleep on the outside"
Ergo it's better to be the house.

El Chapo

Verified Member
That's fun to talk about, but the guys doing the good drugs and better sex all have money. I'm not knocking the lifestyle though, I think KEITH for example would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
That's fun to talk about, but the guys doing the good drugs and better sex all have money. I'm not knocking the lifestyle though, I think KEITH for example would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

We all would if we were younger, those days are gone !