2 Balls on the spot shot...

mudball

I watched one of Efren's matches at this years DCC. He was shooting at 2 balls on the spot with ball in and hand and only needed one. I got distracted and only caught the very end where one of the balls went into his pocket :) I was wondering what the consistent way of doing this was? Thanks in advance :)

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
mudball said:
I watched one of Efren's matches at this years DCC. He was shooting at 2 balls on the spot with ball in and hand and only needed one. I got distracted and only caught the very end where one of the balls went into his pocket :) I was wondering what the consistent way of doing this was? Thanks in advance :)
The way you shoot that shot has to be dictated by where you have to leave the cue ball.

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
I LOVE THIS SHOT & I shoot the shot almost always...

I LOVE THIS SHOT & I shoot the shot almost always...

mudball said:

I almost always play to make a ball in my hole - I don't know why anyone wouldn't unless you’re going to leave a shot for the other guy. But I have seen much better players than me, just skim the head ball and play safe, so I may be wrong.
I leave the cue ball on the rail, 2 diamonds down from the opposite (cattycorner) hole I'm shooting to. On rare occasions, I have made both balls. Worse case scenario - I have 2 balls near my hole. Most players put the cue ball too far from the center and don't know the trick to this shot.

TY & GL, OHB

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
2 Ball spot shot

2 Ball spot shot

I shoot it this way. Go to the oppisite side of the table from your pocket, come up 1 diamond and toward the center 1 diamond. Put bottom english towards your pocket and shoot. Trying to drwa the cue ball back to the middle of the table. Sometime the head ball will go , but all the time the rear ball will go 2 rails to the pocket. Hope you can understand what I have tried to say.---Smitty

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
It's on page 184

It's on page 184

A diagram and explanation of this shot can be found on p.184 of my book,
Banking With The Beard. ...."Place the Cue ball slightly to the left (1 or 2 inches, your pocket would be to the right) of the Head spot. Hit the Object ball dead full in the face using Extreme Draw with no English. The head ball will drive through the second ball to score."

(This shot works best on new cloth, where the draw action won't get burned up by friction. On old cloth, a much more powerful stroke is required to make the head ball. One tip of right hand draw english can help the needed action a little. The second ball is always a threat to go 2 rails up-and-down.

the Beard
Bank on, brother! Old school pool.

rfhing

Verified Member
From
Asheville, North Carolina
I practice this shot on a regular basis becuase it tends to come up frequently. I tend to have the rear ball go two rails and lay down by the pocket the I'm shooting at. Most of the time I cant get the cue ball to come back that far up the table so if I miss I worry about my opponent banking back to his hole.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Balls On Spot

Balls On Spot

I lost on this shot yesterday at the Hard Times monthly tournament when Joey Gebron knocked me in the losers bracket, making the head ball & two railing the back ball near his hole. I almost NEVER shoot this shot & still won't, even though it beat me yesterday. We both needed two balls and the other ball was down table, so it worked for him this time, but IMO you will lose more games than you will win shooting this shot.

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
John - You answered your own problem.

John - You answered your own problem.

jrhendy said:
I lost on this shot yesterday at the Hard Times monthly tournament when Joey Gebron knocked me in the losers bracket, making the head ball & two railing the back ball near his hole. I almost NEVER shoot this shot & still won't, even though it beat me yesterday. We both needed two balls and the other ball was down table, so it worked for him this time, but IMO you will lose more games than you will win shooting this shot.

You say - I almost NEVER shoot this shot -
I think this is a shot that is worth practicing until you get it down pat & get the confidence to shoot it without hesitation. Best if done on the table your going to be playing on

(JMHO) - TY & GL, OHB

Mike

Verified Member
With 2 balls left I always shoot the shot and shoot it exactly as the "Beard" describes. With other balls on the table you have to be sure you'll be able to protect against shots and kisses that might mean a sell-out. Be sure to check that both balls are FROZEN AND STRAIGHT before shooting the shot.

senor

Verified Member
OldHasBeen said:
You say - I almost NEVER shoot this shot -
I think this is a shot that is worth practicing until you get it down pat & get the confidence to shoot it without hesitation. Best if done on the table your going to be playing on

(JMHO) - TY & GL, OHB

I used to feel the same way as JR, but the benefits far outway the risks. Just practice the shot and don't use it on a strange table. Also, make sure that there is not a large divot on or around the spot.

Shorty

Verified Member
From
Melbourne, Florida
Sonny taught me that shot...man I love shooting it!

Especially when you can 1 or both...and yes, I have seen both made a few occasions. I have made the back ball on the bank once or twice...but always nice because they both get pushed toward your hole.

Shorty

Mr.OnePocket

I love this shot! A lot of people I play will not shoot it but when it comes up I always shoot it. I have one a some games with this shot. I love it! I usually make 1 ball and I get the other pretty much in front of my pocket!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
(This shot works best on new cloth, where the draw action won't get burned up by friction.
To me, this circumstance dictates whether the shot is viable. Also-- if I can't draw whitey back up near the head corner pocket, selling out becomes a real possibility if a ball doesn't go.

Doc

Wayne

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
To me, this circumstance dictates whether the shot is viable. Also-- if I can't draw whitey back up near the head corner pocket, selling out becomes a real possibility if a ball doesn't go.

Doc

Here is another 2 ball on the spot shot with a little different layout which a lot of you may know already but if you aren't shooting it you are missing out on a great runout shot. I shoot this shot from the opposite side about 6 inches off center spot once again you have to draw hard and use a little outside english and you aim to back cut the front ball a hair. With a little practice you will be able to hit it with confidence in a match.

START(
%Ae4Z1%Ed2X4%HN7O7%OM4O7%Ph1R5%UP8O9%Vf8R6%WE2Z2%XN3P5%Yq9T5
%ZC8O9%[J6Y4%\q4U2%]E4P0%^L5O5%_h3X9%`X9C8%aO5O1
)END

Wayne

Donovan

Verified Member
From
Fort Worth, TX
Wayne said:
Here is another 2 ball on the spot shot with a little different layout which a lot of you may know already but if you aren't shooting it you are missing out on a great runout shot. I shoot this shot from the opposite side about 6 inches off center spot once again you have to draw hard and use a little outside english and you aim to back cut the front ball a hair. With a little practice you will be able to hit it with confidence in a match.

START(
%Ae4Z1%Ed2X4%HN7O7%OM4O7%Ph1R5%UP8O9%Vf8R6%WE2Z2%XN3P5%Yq9T5
%ZC8O9%[J6Y4%\q4U2%]E4P0%^L5O5%_h3X9%`X9C8%aO5O1
)END

Wayne

I have never even seen this shot done from the reverse side. I find it odd that I never realized that it could be shot that way. It seems obvious that it should be able to go, but now I will have to go give it a try. Thanks!

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
2 Ball Shot

2 Ball Shot

Donovan, I too never even gave it a thought that you could play that shot like that. Does open some other outs from a different view.---Smitty