One Pocket Handicaps

loveshiscue

Verified Member
From
Miami, Fl
Yesterday I played someone 9-7 (me getting). I ended up winner 6 games after 2 hrs and the next time we play it was agreed that we would adjust the spot.

I know the 9ball handicap system fairly well and it would be no problem for me to know if I was getting the 7 where I would want to go next. One pocket though, I am a bit lost. I am thinking 10-8 would be the next spot but then another guy in the hall last night said he thought 8-7 was where the game should go. Still another was talking about 9-7 but loser breaks.

What do you guys think?

Wayne

Verified Member
loveshiscue said:
Yesterday I played someone 9-7 (me getting). I ended up winner 6 games after 2 hrs and the next time we play it was agreed that we would adjust the spot.

I know the 9ball handicap system fairly well and it would be no problem for me to know if I was getting the 7 where I would want to go next. One pocket though, I am a bit lost. I am thinking 10-8 would be the next spot but then another guy in the hall last night said he thought 8-7 was where the game should go. Still another was talking about 9-7 but loser breaks.

What do you guys think?

I guess it depends on how much you are playing for. If you were going to average 6 games up after 2 hours every time you play 9-7 then you are robbing the guy with this spot. If you are playing for small stakes then you should probably play him even. For you to be 6 games up after 2 hours it sounds like you made more balls than he did.

An adjustment to loser breaks is not an adjustment and would probably offend the opponent. Also an adjustment to 10-8 is next to no adjustment and would be acceptable if you were beating him a few games every time you played. The 8-7 is the only reasonable one under the circumstances.

Of course if you are playing a few hundred a game then you should try to get away with the loser breaks or the 10-8 because he may do it in order to try to win his money back.

Wayne

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
gulfportdoc said:
You can see the handicap charts here: http://www.onepocket.org/handicaps.htm (Under "Playing the Game" menu) It would go 10-8, 8-7, then 9-8. Anyone can have a good night, but if you're typically playing as good against him as that session suggests, then you probably ought to play even. Then adjust from there.

Doc
You can also cut the effective change in handicap in half by going from 10-8 on both your break and on his break, to 10-8 on his break and 8-7 on yours. This kind of adjustment is very common. Probably because the break itself creates such a swing in advantage players seem to be very agreeable to this kind of tweak of handicaps.

gadawg

Handicap PerCentage Advantage

Handicap PerCentage Advantage

Newbie question again.

I understand all of the handicap chart except the first column, "Percentage Advantage"

Where does that come from or how is it calculated?

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
...try this if ya can't match up.....

...try this if ya can't match up.....

....coupla weeks ago....went to ...Buffalo....had'nt played in quite awhile...no action where I'm at....one of the locals ...I'm gonna use his ..."Pool Monicar"....lol....I'm sure he needs the advertisement......"Squee"....they call him...lol...anyways...I knew he'd been playin' the game...'cause he offered to play...and he's kinda ...well...you know a ..."nut hunter"....so figurin' our game was probably even...with me not playin' for awhile.....he wanted a spot....so I offered...9-7...9-7......I saw the champions do this ...40 years ago.....all ya have to do is outrun the ...nuts to win....if players are evenly matched...the one that wins on his break...while givin' up....a heavy spot to the other player....will take down the ....CASH.....