*** 45 Years of Professional Billiard Memories ***

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
After viewing and posting Bill Porter's video of photos of players I've known throughout the years, I started feeling a little nostalgic. I decided to share a video with an chronological array of photos of My 45 years of Professional Billiard Memories!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGSsPiO5mo0[/ame]

Enjoy;
Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Bid daddy

hello mr.smith, i am new to the site and see that you have quite a history in 3-cushion.did you ever know of a player from the decatur il area named Bill Hawkins?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
hello mr.smith, i am new to the site and see that you have quite a history in 3-cushion.did you ever know of a player from the decatur il area named Bill Hawkins?

Big; Knew him well, He was a REAL character, ran around the table a 100 miles an hour. He hit every shot at Mach3, He also was a BIG prankster.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Very nice piece, Bill. I see that your father was a big time influence, which is great. He must have been a helluva man.

As you know, Al Gold (Gilbert) was a poolroom acquaintence of mine for a couple of years in North Hollywood in the late 1960's. I learned a lot just watching him. In 3C, I even mimicked his slow "slip" stroke, which wasn't natural for me, so I had to ditch it for pool.

I think most of the old time 3C players had to develop (naturally or not) powerful strokes, just to get the balls to move around the table on some of the slow cloths of the era. Now, if you sneeze on the table, the balls move.;)

Reportedly Simonis has been around for yonks, but I never saw it on a table until maybe 1970 at Tiff Payne's in N. Hyd. I'm sure you knew Tiff. He was a decent player himself, but as a billiard nut, and room owner, he was always after the new things. So he experimented with faster cloth, and possibly even better rail rubber-- especially on the table near the cash register, where he liked to play. But for many of the tables in his 11-table 3C room the gunner had to have a stroke like Ironman!

Doc