Daulton vs. J.R. Gay 2001 D.C.C.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
Cut the 15, knock the 4 up off the rail, and get position to one-rail the 9. Might get four or five balls here at least. :D

Skin
J.R. plays too good to pass this up but it didn't work out well for him. He made the 15 and scratched off the back of the 4 ball.

P.S. He whacked it pretty good, if he hadn't, he wouldn't have scratched.

J.R.'s Shot.jpg

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
J.R. plays too good to pass this up but it didn't work out well for him. He made the 15 and scratched off the back of the 4 ball.

View attachment 1344

Dennis,

Yes, I think this is one Grady would say is "Frought with peril!". :)

DeeMan

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Deeman said:
Dennis,

Yes, I think this is one Grady would say is "Frought with peril!". :)

DeeMan

DeeMan,

It was a brutal scratch that could have been avoided by slower speed and recognizing the possibility of the scratch. Most of us use more speed when we are unsure of where the balls are going. Not only that but J.R. was (at the time) a 14.1 player primarily, uncertain of responding to the break in one-pocket and the standard shots that present repeatedly.

Dennis

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:

If he had shot the 15 in off the pocket facing or point instead of into center hole, he wouldn't have gone underneath the 4 and scratched. JMHO! :p

Skin

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
If he had shot the 15 in off the pocket facing or point instead of into center hole, he wouldn't have gone underneath the 4 and scratched. JMHO! :p

Skin
I'll let him know your thoughts, next he's in town:rolleyes: .

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
I'll let him know your thoughts, next he's in town:rolleyes: .

Easy, big 'un. It was a joke about your diagram. :D

Skin

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:

View attachment 1344
I don't like to 2nd. guess good players, so i'll play devils advocate. If you notice that there aren't too many good things that can happen for J.R. with this shot, other than coming up with a shot on the 9 ball, but he negated that chance by the speed he hit it with.:confused: It looks like if he pockets the 15 ball the cue ball will go to the foot rail and then into the 4 ball. If he overcuts the 15 ball the cue ball should then hit the foot rail and then the front side of the 4 ball sending it toward the bad side of the 7 ball.:eek: If he pockets the 15 ball center pocket, the cue ball will hit the foot rail under the 4 ball and that route is fraught with peril,:eek: unless you hit the shot with the speed to not scratch, and that's very difficult to do if you want to run some balls. Even though this is a tempting shot for a good ball pocketer, it may not be the correct shot. If I had to guess I would say that J.R. didn't feel good shooting this shot. And for certain he didn't feel good when it was over.:eek:

Billy I.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Puhleeeeeze !!!

Puhleeeeeze !!!

If you felt comfortable with cutting the ball in, a very slight draw would have avoided the scratch. However, you may have made, (or hung up the ball) in his pocket...so you need to feel good about maklng it. These 10 year old re-runs, are starting to get on my nerves...Can we have some more modern approaches to the game...Nobody plays "ultra-squeeze" any more...:eek:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:
Bernie, you must be carefull when shooting shots like this one, especially if there is a scratch possibility. As I mentioned before the only way we can do that is develope a feel for them. Take your option as an example..if you cut the 10 ball too thin, it looks to me that you may hit the 3 ball too thin and possibly scratch. When you start changing the angle of the natural hit, that's when you really need to have a good feel for what you're doing. I'm not saying that your option is not a good one, it just doesn't appeaar to be as natural as I would like it to be. But if it's good for you, then go for it.:cool: Just try not to guess.:eek: Trust me, i'm a doctor

Billy I.
Whenever you look at a shot from a picture, or from the wei table layout, it doesn't have to be the angle that you assume you see.:confused: Bernies option may be the best shot, but by not being at the table to feel it, you can only go off of how it looks to you in the picture.

That's another reason why you should set up differen't types of shots at the table, to get a truer feel for the shots discussed.:)

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
SJDinPHX said:
If you felt comfortable with cutting the ball in, a very slight draw would have avoided the scratch. However, you may have made, (or hung up the ball) in his pocket...so you need to feel good about maklng it. These 10 year old re-runs, are starting to get on my nerves...Can we have some more modern approaches to the game...Nobody plays "ultra-squeeze" any more...:eek:

Dick, you're correct that a slight draw would of avoided the scratch, but you know that ball runners want to run balls, so with the draw you're really not going to get the cue ball movement condusive to run balls. Maybe he should of opted for the "ultra-squeeze" as you put it.:D

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
SJDinPHX said:
That's something you're going to have to discuss with Dennis, i'm sure he can dig up some modern player shots.:D

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
That's something you're going to have to discuss with Dennis, i'm sure he can dig up some modern player shots.:D

Billy I.
Yeah Bill, just as soon as he repays the $4612.98 that he's borrowed from me, I'll order some "up-to-date" DVD's, just to sate his need for newer layouts:) .

P.S. I just got off of the phone with him, would you believe he called me "collect"? He's really tight with a dime.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
P.S. I just got off of the phone with him, would you believe he called me "collect"? He's really tight with a dime.

Wrong, He throws them around like manhole covers. :D
Rod.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
wincardona said:

Billy I.
Wow, where have I been. I didn't know that the shots have changed through the years. Balls are different, cue ball different, maybe the table has changed? Dennis, lets see some new stuff so that I can get with the times.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
There's some pretty clever and impressive shots by Biloxi Mike Surber in his 2007 match against Cliff Joyner at the DCC. That guy could play. You will recall that he has been murdered, and his killer has still not been found.