Derby City Observations

tylerdurden

Verified Member
TD....1ph in stroke wins that 3 game race.

i had $220 on the rail -- 1ph vs ike at dcc. 1ph didn't break worth shit, hung a couple balls, and i believe sold out a game on a bank (that hung). that's why he lost.

1ph plays a better/more dynamic game in my opinion (sorry chicago :sorry). ike just doesn't make mistakes, absolutely none.

It is good to hear about this matchup. It really is an interesting one to me. I agree instinctively that hackers style would get the best of ike if they were both in punch... i like to think that way anyway because i have been leaning more towards playing more aggressively these last couple years because i just believe it is proper thinking. i guess it all comes down to your game and what you are comfortable with.

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA
This was the first year I have missed for a few years, but with three sources streaming, I watched as much as I could.

It was nice to see Rafael Martinez back at the table. His match with SVB was covered by one of the free streams (Inside Pool) and while he looked a little rusty and lost the set, he did execute some of his signature masse safeties to get out of a few traps.

The old time one pocket movers must be turning over in their graves based on what I saw from the current champions. They do make the game exciting and it moves along much faster, but some of their shot selections are awful. They can get away with it because they are liable to run eight from anywhere. IMO their ball running ability allows them to make more mistakes and get away with it.

The more traditional old style players like Ochoa, Shuff and Gray just can't seem to get by the ball runners.

Perhaps a lot of it is by the time the finals come down they have played so many matches, are still alive in other tournaments, and have finally been ground down to where they are a little brain dead.

I do not care much for straight pool and ten ball is just a little better, but watching the champions on the ten footers was great.

Now I want to see some one pocket played on those tables. Might bring a little more moving into the game.
and you were missed John!

Scott Frost was talking about reasons why he didn't think one pocket on the bigger table was any good for him, but I think he was willing to give it a try given the right reasons.

Greg Sullivan wants to know if the big table is part of the future or just a carnival side show. That means instead of guessing that its good or bad, games need to be played on it by top players to prove it out one way or the other.

Freddie <~~~ didn't miss a ball on the ten footer at the DCC!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I think John Schmidt (because he is a straight pool champ) will be the next great one pocket player, providing he chooses to concentrate on it. If he can learn to get the first shot, I feel he is the best bet to end the game with it.
Schmidt has always been a strong player. When he beat Frost a couple of years ago to win the DCC 1P title, it was because of two 8 or 9 balls run-outs. He can run 1P layouts as good as anyone, and his ability to work the stack is excellent, due to his straight pool knowledge. But I doubt that John will ever put in the time in 1P --like Gentile has-- in order to become the top player.

I also believe that he's too smart to stay in pool long enough to become a true pool scuff.;) He likes the action and all. But he approaches pool as a professional athlete. I believe he'll get into some worthwhile business venture, and will not stay in the sport past his prime.

Doc

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
For John's sake, Doc, I hope you are right. That would be novel, wouldn't it? The handwriting has been on the wall for many years, but not many people have paused to read it - or pay attention.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Moving- A Lost Art???

Moving- A Lost Art???

This was the first year I have missed for a few years, but with three sources streaming, I watched as much as I could.

It was nice to see Rafael Martinez back at the table. His match with SVB was covered by one of the free streams (Inside Pool) and while he looked a little rusty and lost the set, he did execute some of his signature masse safeties to get out of a few traps.

The old time one pocket movers must be turning over in their graves based on what I saw from the current champions. They do make the game exciting and it moves along much faster, but some of their shot selections are awful. They can get away with it because they are liable to run eight from anywhere. IMO their ball running ability allows them to make more mistakes and get away with it.

The more traditional old style players like Ochoa, Shuff and Gray just can't seem to get by the ball runners.

Perhaps a lot of it is by the time the finals come down they have played so many matches, are still alive in other tournaments, and have finally been ground down to where they are a little brain dead.

I do not care much for straight pool and ten ball is just a little better, but watching the champions on the ten footers was great.

Now I want to see some one pocket played on those tables. Might bring a little more moving into the game.

John, no question pocketing balls is an enormous weapon but im not sure thats the reason for the recent wins. I think the true art of moving is being lost. and with the recent success by shane and earl and the other great shooters, will more than likely inspire new waves of one pocket players who relay much more on pocketing balls than moving and thinking their way around the table. I think the reason the movers arent winning these days is not because the shooters are overpowering them but rather that the number of shooters playing is so much larger than the number of great "movers/thinkers. If the great shooters outnumber the great movers 10 to 1, then you can only expect a mover to win 10% of the events. Again I say the true art of moving is dissappearing.
Keith

onepockethacker

Verified Member
It is good to hear about this matchup. It really is an interesting one to me. I agree instinctively that hackers style would get the best of ike if they were both in punch... i like to think that way anyway because i have been leaning more towards playing more aggressively these last couple years because i just believe it is proper thinking. i guess it all comes down to your game and what you are comfortable with.

There is an old saying... you get out of it what you put into it... well.. taking 4 months off and then playing for 2 weeks without any action isnt going to cut it against someone like Ike. I didnt run balls like I normally run when in stroke, banked like shit, broke like shit..other than that I played fine!! LMFAO I have a term when someone performs like I did these last 9 days..... PURE GARBAGE lol strange..it always seemed funnier when I used that term referring to someone else's game instead of my own LMFAO:D

tylerdurden

Verified Member
John, no question pocketing balls is an enormous weapon but im not sure thats the reason for the recent wins. I think the true art of moving is being lost. and with the recent success by shane and earl and the other great shooters, will more than likely inspire new waves of one pocket players who relay much more on pocketing balls than moving and thinking their way around the table. I think the reason the movers arent winning these days is not because the shooters are overpowering them but rather that the number of shooters playing is so much larger than the number of great "movers/thinkers. If the great shooters outnumber the great movers 10 to 1, then you can only expect a mover to win 10% of the events. Again I say the true art of moving is dissappearing.
Keith

You threw out that 10 to 1 number, I know it was just to make a point, but what i'd say to that is many of those 10 movers probably lost to shooters and decided to change their style. And, if they followed through with it properly and have the ability, it probably worked for them. The part where I think your thinking fails is you are saying it as if there is no reason whatsoever that the ratio is 10 to 1 in favor of shooters. The reason is these guys like to win and have found this to be the more successful path; it isn't just chance.

I really think one important number that never gets brought up in one pocket is average number of offensive innings to get out in a game. How many damn shots do you need to get out (on average). IF that number is low for a player, say 2, and a little higher for another, say 2.3.... just forget it, there aint no moving that is going to help that player at a top level. As always, these are just opinions of course :)

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
You threw out that 10 to 1 number, I know it was just to make a point, but what i'd say to that is many of those 10 movers probably lost to shooters and decided to change their style. And, if they followed through with it properly and have the ability, it probably worked for them. The part where I think your thinking fails is you are saying it as if there is no reason whatsoever that the ratio is 10 to 1 in favor of shooters. The reason is these guys like to win and have found this to be the more successful path; it isn't just chance.

I really think one important number that never gets brought up in one pocket is average number of offensive innings to get out in a game. How many damn shots do you need to get out (on average). IF that number is low for a player, say 2, and a little higher for another, say 2.3.... just forget it, there aint no moving that is going to help that player at a top level. As always, these are just opinions of course :)

All these stats are really ridiculous. "Those that can do, those that can't teach." Young players may not see their options. Old guys that don't shoot so well anymore may duck. Guys like me shoot at most everything, except occasionally when playing higher.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Here's another....

Here's another....

.....spice for the pot.The equipment has dramatically changed 3-cushion in the last 20 years.Has it changed 1P the same way?I personally dont get around enough to say......some here do....