Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Verified Member

Default West coast swing 2019

I just heard there will be no West Coast Swing this year. There will only be the Cole Dickson Memorial in San Francisco. The West Coast Swing featuring stops at Hard Times LA, California Billiards and Hard Times Sacramento were really nice for us players on the West Coast. Anyone heard why this happened?
Old 06-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry matchin View Post
I just heard there will be no West Coast Swing this year. There will only be the Cole Dickson Memorial in San Francisco. The West Coast Swing featuring stops at Hard Times LA, California Billiards and Hard Times Sacramento were really nice for us players on the West Coast. Anyone heard why this happened?

I tuned in Sat because I wanted to see Edgie Geronimo play a match and I heard Daniel B say the same thing, but he did not say why this happened...!
Old 06-04-2019, 05:56 AM

From what I heard was that there were too many conflicting events and that the pros were scheduled elsewhere.

Iím disappointed thereís no big one pocket event for summer as well, so I figured Iíd go play the San Francisco cole Dixon memorial the end of the month and use up all my one pocket hotel money for their nine ball event for something to do.

Hopefully Oscar will get us a chuck memorial 1pkt/9b jamboree event soon. Usually itís in August I think. My hopes will be up.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:18 AM

Considering that it was only one room on the West Coast involved last year, this is not surprising.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:50 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Cruz View Post
From what I heard was that there were too many conflicting events and that the pros were scheduled elsewhere.

Iím disappointed thereís no big one pocket event for summer as well, so I figured Iíd go play the San Francisco cole Dixon memorial the end of the month and use up all my one pocket hotel money for their nine ball event for something to do.

Hopefully Oscar will get us a chuck memorial 1pkt/9b jamboree event soon. Usually itís in August I think. My hopes will be up.
MC, will that be held at Calif. Billiards? I wonder if there are any poolrooms left in the SF City besides Delbert Wong's? There were some great rooms there at one time. Too bad what's happened to that town...

~Doc
Old 06-04-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
MC, will that be held at Calif. Billiards? I wonder if there are any poolrooms left in the SF City besides Delbert Wong's? There were some great rooms there at one time. Too bad what's happened to that town...

~Doc
The Cole Dixon 9b will be at Delbertís family billiards in SF. Beautiful pool hall but I can count the times Iíve been there on one hand because of the stress of driving in that city causes me.

Otherwise Iíve heard thereís a billiard palacade in SF as well but Iíve never had a chance to visit it.

The west coast swing normally would go to Fremont at Chris swartís California billiards.

The chuck markulis memorial 1pkt & 9b event is held at hard times Sacramento which is now under new ownership of Oscar Dominguez. I havenít heard anything yet for this year but the last year or two the tournament was held around Mid to late August.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:14 PM
Verified Member

rent is what happened to pool rooms in the bay area. Hard enough to live in te bay area let alone get the square footage for a pool hall
Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post

~Doc
Itís happening everywhere Doc. When Bananaís closed in San Antonio it was like a death in the pool community. Not just for the pool but as a gathering place to sit an the rail and shoot the breeze. All the Clicks, Slick Willieís and Fast Eddieís canít replace pool venues like Bananaís, Le Cue and Parkerís in Houston and Hollywood. Iím not on the same level as a lot of the members here but there is something about the atmosphere in the old rooms thatís hard to duplicate.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookelandBilly View Post
Itís happening everywhere Doc. When Bananaís closed in San Antonio it was like a death in the pool community. Not just for the pool but as a gathering place to sit an the rail and shoot the breeze. All the Clicks, Slick Willieís and Fast Eddieís canít replace pool venues like Bananaís, Le Cue and Parkerís in Houston and Hollywood. Iím not on the same level as a lot of the members here but there is something about the atmosphere in the old rooms thatís hard to duplicate.
I agree. We still have some great rooms in Northern CA (Family Billiards, CA Billiards and Hard Times) but we lost The Jointed Cue a few months ago. An old room in a rougher part of town that had a lot of character and memories. It ran weekly and yearly tournaments for well over 40 years. I remember driving up from SoCal, in action all night and then playing in the tournament. Those days are gone forever as we get older, but I sure do have some great memories.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:38 AM
Verified Member

It wasnít for Chris at California Billiards to make a game of it. He had some great tournaments right after the Derby. One pocket, ten ball. Strickland, Morris, Alex. All the top dogs were there. What happened? More money other places. Pay per view. By himself, Chris isnít enough. Grifs in Las Vegas has his company backing his events. I would love one of you Silicon Valley Engineers to get some big money backing.
New Orleans has the big time action, why? California Billiards why not. I would have thought the Tony match would have put California Billiards on the
One Pocket big leagues.
You have done a great job Chris.