scott needs weight

baby huey

Verified Member
I just think that Alex knows the game too well, defends himself well and is just the superior ball striker. Listen, I think Scott is one some kind of player but Alex is too smart and what he doesn't know, he learns very quickly. The only area where I make Scott the favorite is playing off the break defensively. The rest of it he is not going to handle the offense Alex throws at him. Now there is a case to be made that the match Scott played in the last tournament against JJ took a lot of his energy which left him too tired for the finals against Alex. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt there but no where else. Should be a great match and I hope it lasts a long time so we can all be in for a serious one pocket treat.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
For those of you who believe that Alex would beat Scott giving him weight in this 8 ahead contest, what kind of money odds would you like to offer me if I took Scott, since there's no way to change their game? 2 to 1 Alex wins? 5 to 3? Or would you say that Scott could be considered a winner for side betting purposes if he gets to 4 ahead? How much better do you like Alex in their upcoming Vegas match?

I'll listen to all reasonable offers.

~Doc

doc ill lay you $55 to $50 and take alex. we can settle up after via paypal. let me know keith

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
doc ill lay you $55 to $50 and take alex. we can settle up after via paypal. let me know keith
The point of my post was --since several members believe that Alex is so superior to Scott that Alex really ought to give Scott weight-- that they would certainly give big odds on the dough or on the race, since the guys are playing even. No one apparently would back that up.

You weren't one of those who holds that opinion, Keith. 55-50 means that you believe Alex has a hair of an edge over Scott. You might be right. Nevertheless I'll take your bet as you described. I don't have PayPal, so we can do cash, check or M.O. We know each other, so we can P.M after the contest.

Cheers~
Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The point of my post was --since several members believe that Alex is so superior to Scott that Alex really ought to give Scott weight-- that they would certainly give big odds on the dough or on the race, since the guys are playing even. No one apparently would back that up.

You weren't one of those who holds that opinion, Keith. 55-50 means that you believe Alex has a hair of an edge over Scott. You might be right. Nevertheless I'll take your bet as you described. I don't have PayPal, so we can do cash, check or M.O. We know each other, so we can P.M after the contest.

Cheers~
Doc

Well you've killed any of your action with the talking heads. :D:frus
Rod.
P.S. Unless 11/10 is what you had in mind.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ

Cheers~
Doc

okay we have a nice sweat bet. good luck, doc. keith

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
He's saying that taking 11:10 eliminates the possibility anyone will give you the 2:1 or 5:3 you were originally asking for.
You guys can't read. I wasn't asking for anything in specific. The intent of the post was to see what odds would be offered by the guys who believe Scott needs to be spotted by Pagulayan. I'm still waiting...

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I wasn't asking for anything in specific.

True, but I thought you were implying that you thought someone might offer 2:1 or 5:3.

The intent of the post was to see what odds would be offered by the guys who believe Scott needs to be spotted by Pagulayan.

Sappo likes 11:10 and I think that's about right. Cory seemed to think 7:6 would be proportional to the spots we were talking about.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I'll take 7-5 and Alex and give up a ball...Scott only needs to go to 7!

This would be by the game and only the loser can quit.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I'll take 7-5 and Alex and give up a ball...Scott only needs to go to 7!

This would be by the game and only the loser can quit.

I think you're way off.

I'll take Scott at 7 1/2:5 (my 20 to your 30) and give Alex a ball.

We can do the payoff any way you want.

I may not be able to watch all of it so you will need to keep track of the games that Alex gets to 7, then loses.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I think you're way off.

I'll take Scott at 7 1/2:5 (my 20 to your 30) and give Alex a ball.

We can do the payoff any way you want.

I may not be able to watch all of it so you will need to keep track of the games that Alex gets to 7, then loses.

Lol. Why would I want a ball when I don't think he needs it?

The last sentence doesn't make sense. If either of them got to 7 that game would be over for us.

This looks like if we split it down the middle you like Scott and I like Alex so we really don't need any prop bets.

Sweat bet?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Lol. Why would I want a ball when I don't think he needs it?

The last sentence doesn't make sense. If either of them got to 7 that game would be over for us.

This looks like if we split it down the middle you like Scott and I like Alex so we really don't need any prop bets.

Sweat bet?

The way I was proposing it Scott wouldn't get a ball. The only early ends would be when Alex got to 7, but the only time we'd need to keep track of that would be when he later lost the game.

I like Alex also. The way I see the match -- since it's 8 ahead and I think that favors Alex -- I would take either player in an even money sweat bet with Scott getting a ball, but someone would have to keep track of how often Scott got to 7 but lost the game.

Maybe I misunderstood your initial offer. I thought you were saying you thought it would be worth 7:5 on the money for Scott to get a ball. IOW, If I took Scott and a ball, I should lay 7:5.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
??????????

If one of them was going to 7 and they got there the game would be over at that point. Why would you need to keep track of anything after that?

Might be best for us not to do anything. Good luck on either way you go.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
??????????

If one of them was going to 7 and they got there the game would be over at that point. Why would you need to keep track of anything after that?

Because that wouldn't be reflected in the final score. If we're betting by-the-game, with no spot, the winner would get 8 bets from the loser. Giving a ball, the spotted player might get to 7 nine times in games he lost and lose the match. He lost the match 8 down, but the person betting on him with a ball would be one bet up. We'd need to know how many games the one-ball spot won for him in order to settle up a by-the-game bet.

Might be best for us not to do anything. Good luck on either way you go.

OK, it seems we're not thinking along the same lines.

Good luck to you too, Steve.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Scott needs to play his best game to have any kind of a chance, yes, his best game will put him right there. Alex is by far playing one pocket as well as he's ever played it, and quite frankly, as good as it can be played, imo. Frost has put too much pressure on himself while trying to convince people that he's the best player, when in fact the pressure that he's putting on himself is denying him the concentration that he definitely needs to beat Alex.

The way I see it is Scott, if he continues to be distracted with the way one pocket often plays out with rolls going for you then against you, he will for sure lose. He must accept the fact that he is going to be tested in every area of the game and he must perform well in all the areas he will be tested in if he expects to beat Alex. I don't see that happening because of how he's responded in recent outings, he's got to keep it together mentally, Alex will, and Alex will do things in the match to aggravate Scott, either by taking extra time to look things over, or to say something at a time in the match that he knows will bother Scott ..hitting above the belt.;)

It's a challenge that we all are looking forward to watching, However, Scott imo is going up hill, but I have seen him do some miraculous things in the past.:D

Dr. Bill

#Cruncher

Verified Member
Dr. Bill,

I think its a fair assessment to make that Scott is the underdog in the match. My question is how do you feel about the 3 to 2 betting line that seems to be popping up for the match. I already placed my bet, just don't know if its a good one.....

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Dr. Bill,

I think its a fair assessment to make that Scott is the underdog in the match. My question is how do you feel about the 3 to 2 betting line that seems to be popping up for the match. I already placed my bet, just don't know if its a good one.....

I like Alex but I think 3/2 is insane; it's just not as insane as 3/2 would be by-the-game. If you can get that, bet more.

baby huey

Verified Member
Sometimes in a tough match, we take ourselves too seriously. This is what I think Dr. Bill was alluding to earlier re: Scott's chances of winning. Sometimes you just have to think back to your early beginnings playing pool and why you enjoy playing pool period. If you can get back to those earlier times mentally then you have a chance to really enjoy the "moment" and "be in the moment." That's the mental part of the game which we try to ZEN into but have so much difficulty doing. I just want a competitive match where these two great players play at each other and both play their best games.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Sometimes in a tough match, we take ourselves too seriously. This is what I think Dr. Bill was alluding to earlier re: Scott's chances of winning. Sometimes you just have to think back to your early beginnings playing pool and why you enjoy playing pool period. If you can get back to those earlier times mentally then you have a chance to really enjoy the "moment" and "be in the moment." That's the mental part of the game which we try to ZEN into but have so much difficulty doing. I just want a competitive match where these two great players play at each other and both play their best games.

Good point.

IMO, Scott's ZEN is impeded by fixation on "#1 in the world." This makes it easy for him to drift in and out of The Moment, and it encourages too much concern about what other people are thinking.