Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2019, 07:43 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
more 2 cents
if we are going to let the breaker have a 3rd break
if he makes one
then scratches
then we need to make THIS rule official
that if you make a ball AND scratch at the same time on your break
THE BALL GETS SPOTTED
YOU OWE ONE
AND YOU OPPONENT HAS BALL IN HAND BEHIND THE HEAD STRING
how can we let someone break again if they scratch on the break ?????

jmho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
I believe this method of solving the scratch had the most consensus, BIH/BTL -1.
any other rule is uncivilized .......
Old 08-19-2019, 08:41 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerball View Post
Nobody wants another choice, however, this was suggested to me by a pretty good player and hasn't been mentioned so far.

Make one on the break and you have the option of "keeping the ball and turning the table over to your opponent" or "re-racking".

Do what you all like, I'll play by the rules.

Powerball
Scoring a ball and then sitting down just does not compute when also the breaker has sold out big time to the opponent's hole, so therefore I was never a fan of this.
I am more inclined to like this solution of having an option to either sit down and keep your scored ball, or re-rack/re-break. But if you also scratch then I like BIH/BTL ball spots -1 vs. re-rack. Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 08-19-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:50 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerball View Post
Nobody wants another choice, however, this was suggested to me by a pretty good player and hasn't been mentioned so far.

Make one on the break and you have the option of "keeping the ball and turning the table over to your opponent" or "re-racking".

Do what you all like, I'll play by the rules.

Powerball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
Damm, that's a pretty bad ass idea... This gives the breaker just about the right amount of reward for making a ball, while not giving him the whole game.. And it allows him choice of rerack if he opens the goldmine to the other side.. Could be the final solution, as someone once said.. I endorse it..
Yes it's better for the breaker and a fair option. I like it also.

Rodney Stephens.
(e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working
Old 08-19-2019, 05:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
I've seen Cory Duel make the corner ball time after time on the break playing 8 ball. He gets to rack his own. You have to wonder if he has got some secret tweak!
Pretty simple solution, go back to playing OP by the rules, 'opponent racks', breaker inspects rack before the break, game on!
Or the next option; breaker racks and opponent inspects the rack, game on!

I am still wondering why no one has answered my question about how the break was played at the 2019 MOT! This is my 3rd time asking this question. Whitey
Hey Whitey!

At all of the yearly official MOT's, we have always used the official one pocket rules, pasted here on the site. Rack your own and re-rack is my preferred way of playing too so it eliminates any questions of a bad or good rack by your opponent.

edit - I thought our rules were rack your own and re-rack but I guess I was thinking of the derby.

Last edited by cincy_kid; 08-19-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:00 PM
Verified Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wirth View Post
In watching yesterday's match between Scott Frost and Danny Smith I heard an interesting idea when it came to a player who makes a ball on the break and the re-rack rule is in force. Did any of you catch this?

The rules for one pocket do not include a re rack for pocketing a ball on the break, so why do we change the rules?
Everyone talks about speeding up the game but what does the multiple re racks do to the the time constraints?

I don't know if this rule was implemented in this match but here is what was at least suggested:

Rack your own and if you make a ball on the break it calls for a re-rack.
Now here was the interesting part. Should you scratch on your follow-up break you can then have a third and deciding re-rack and break.

I think this is only fair considering how on the first break you would be in such a commanding position
and with having scratched on your second attempt you are now in deep guano. Seems like the two
breaks cancel one another out.
It will not happen often but it will happen.

Why have multiple breaks if you allow a pocketed ball and leave it at that, and continue with the game, how often are pocketed balls made on the break does anyone know, does it make any difference in the outcome?

What does the OP.org public think of this idea?
I suggest we include this rule in our OP.org tournaments.
This inquiring mind wants the know.

Tom
Just my humble opinion.

John
Old 08-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Verified Member

Default How quickly we forget...

Well, this is now the 4th time in the last 7 years that the 'ball on the break' topic has been debated...and here's my response from 1-1/2 years ago - in part, explaining why what is being called the "break and sit down" option would be a very bad change/unfair to the breaker.....and this re-posting from that 1997 thread also includes the posts of John Henderson, Dr. Bill, Steve Booth, LSJohn, etc. agreeing with my choice of rule change - if that is, any change was to be implemented ----->

I'm old school and I don't like a re-rack, for all the same reasons that have already been stated by others.

But, that said, if a new rule had to be made re. making the ball on the break (i.e. for a particular tournament for example), I believe that the rule change that I conceived, and have used on occasion, is the best and fairest way to go..and that is...

If the breaker makes the corner ball on the break he gets to keep the ball, but cannot pocket a second ball, and instead has to play a safety for his following shot...

This rule still rewards the breaker for breaking that particular rack well and making the corner ball, but it doesn't let him run several balls, or run out the game because of it, which can reasonably be considered as too great of a reward......but conversely, it's not at all a good idea/rule change option, to spot the ball, or let the breaker keep it, but allow his opponent to shoot right after the breaker makes that ball on the break - because the opponent may easily have a free, simple, game-changing cross-corner bank to shoot, or worse yet, a ball sitting if front of his pocket - so that particular rule change would unfairly favor him, very possibly enabling him to run several balls, or run out.........my rule change would be a 'happy medium' option to utilize - if a change had to be made.

- Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn

Good compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy

This is a good option. I like it better than re racking or spotting the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve

I like your suggestion too Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona

I'm with the people that wants to keep the breaking rule the way it is, I feel that if a player hits the break good he should get rewarded, a rerack, or even losing your shot is not the way to go. Your suggestion on playing another shot as long as you don't pocket a ball is a good alternative. I'm all for your suggestion.

Dr. Bill

Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 08-20-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Verified Member

Hi John, As you probably saw in one of my other posts on this subject I am in favor of either player racking the balls which can then be inspected by the opponent and from that point on it's one break. Should that player pocket a ball into his pocket without scratching he should be allowed to continue his inning. This has been the rule for as long as I have been playing the game. A span of time which exceeds a half century. It is only recently that this rule has changed. (Racking for oneself is just not necessary in the game of One Pocket but I have no major kick against it.)

There are no secrets to pocketing a ball on the break. It just happens. Many odd things or lucky things happen during the course of a game of One Pocket Should we advance this re-break theme and play call all shots. Of course not!

If the powers that be in OP.org tournaments require a different approach then I will adhere to those rules. My initial post was just in response to having heard an interesting alternative to what I see as a severe penalty for having made a great break and pocketing a ball. It just doesn't happen that often anyway.

Ghost's option makes some sense if there must be an alternative to the continuation of a player's run. I would think those of you who claim to be "old school" should like to continue the old school ways.

Okay, I'm done. I think I said quite enough on this subject I rest my case.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Last edited by Tom Wirth; 08-19-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:19 PM
Verified Member

Thanks Tom, it turned out to be a very informative thread! Whitey
Old 08-19-2019, 11:25 PM
Verified Member

Default A Ball on the break proposal

I think that your opponent should shoot after the break no matter what. If you make a ball you keep it but he shoots. Keep it simple.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:47 AM
Verified Member

guys that make balls on the break also sell out on the break more.

take the chance i can make a ball away i will play a slightly different break and that game will definitely take longer to play out.