Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2019, 10:05 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
opponent racks you inspect them. how can that longer?

you rack and you get to push the full rack forward to the spot and firm them only pushing the back balls forward. one time and remove rack. opponent can come look and force a rerack.

funny how some argue about things taking longer, while what makes a game take longer is players that take a long time between shots, and others that amazingly defend it.
Certainly agree with this. As old school I been playing OP for maybe 30 years, and only recently have opponents started requesting rack your own. When this happens I can't help wondering why, when I plan to give him a tight straight rack and assume he will do likewise. So, I'm suspicious (forgive me). If he happens to make a ball after he racks, now I am certain that something is up forgive me again)

I think with the right to inspect, this rack your own craze is unwarranted.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Verified Member

maybe one of these days we will have "smart" tables that not only rack the balls for you, tight and consistent every time, but also keeps score for you digitally so you don't have to worry about sleeping balls
Old 08-20-2019, 08:08 PM
Verified Member

and a robot that shoots for you so you never have to complain about a rule or the equipment.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:31 AM
Verified Member

Default !

IMO, there is nothing to earth shattering posted here! Jerry so eloquently stated it best, and I will simplify; " rack 'em' and break them and if you make a ball keep shooting'. Steve, voiced this same opinion; 'I like rack 'em' and keep shooting if I score on the break'. This was his 1st choice of likes!
For me, I spent two hrs. yesterday racking and breaking. I gave myself perfect racks, slanted racks both ways, loose ball on each side of the rack, 1st 2nd and 3rd ball racked loose, corner ball loose racks, broke from different spots, and what I found out was; that all this does not matter to much, especially since the breaker can always inspect the rack and get it adjusted.
I did find a way to alter the rack whereas I was making the corner ball more often, of which I will not mention how.
My personal conclusion is I prefer opponent racking, but real close is rack your own with opponent inspecting, and if a ball is scored then keep on shooting. This was also Tom's conclusion on his thread!
Racking your own is probably here to stay, but as the opponent know what to look for when inspecting the rack! Whitey
Old 08-23-2019, 11:33 AM
Verified Member

I have a friend who played races to 7 in 9 ball getting the breaks and the 6 out. Pro racks. Lost 4 sets in a row at 300 each.
6 months later not believing he could lose with such a big spot they played again. This time my friend had the balls racked when he asked the pro.
He nonchalanty racked everytime and won 3 sets with substantial side bets.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:37 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
and a robot that shoots for you so you never have to complain about a rule or the equipment.
lol, you crack me up beatle...
Old 08-23-2019, 04:15 PM
Verified Member

I have already expressed an opinion as to why I prefer to have the opponent rack the balls.

But, aren't those who prefer to make a ball and keep on shooting missing the point of the rerack consideration in the first place?

It is merely an attempt to lessen the value of having the majority of breaks in a tournament, giving the player with fewer breaks a more equitable chance.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:08 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoperro View Post
I have a friend who played races to 7 in 9 ball getting the breaks and the 6 out.
Yeah, that's a great spot. I don't think SVB couldn win with that game against Dennis if he didn't make a ball on the break 2 games out of 3.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:39 PM
Verified Member

I like rack your own for ALL games. 99% of the time it just makes things easier, smoother, less chance for argument, less checking racks, etc.
Games where you can win by making the game ball, (9 ball break) can be modified so that the ball spots up. Either player can manipulate the rack whether they are the breaker or not. Rack manipulation is a problem either way.