Frank "The Barber" Almanza's Man Cave

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Frank has a unbelievable pool room in his house. It's called "The Barber Shop" and he's won some awards for it's distinction. Maybe Frank can come on and share some stories about it. I'll post a couple of links to some articles that were written about it.

The first one is from one of my favorite bloggers... OMGWTF. She is a feisty pool player that has a great writing style that appeals to me. She picked up Frank on the way to the big Tourney in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Her story is not far down from the top of this page.

OMGWTF's comments on "The Barber Room"

The next article was written for a Home Billiard Room series.
This is the link to that one.

On a side note, while searching, I found this article by Frank

I really wanted to see what was written by Billiards Digest on the award he won, but I'll be damned if I can find a search function on their website.

Hope you guys enjoy it and Congratulations to Frank for the fantastic work he's done to have created such a beautiful room.!

Note to Frank: I would really love to put together a nice slideshow of your room for you. If you could send me a whole bunch of pictures of it and maybe some descriptions of some of them, I could make you something nice that you could share with your friends/family or the pool community. All of the pictures I"ve seen so far, end up being very small ones, and I love the big pictures:) Some high quality pictures would enable me to make something very nice. If you ever wanted to enter it into anything else, it would be a great way to showcase it. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I really think Frank has a super cool and classy room, matches his personality to a tee. I appreciate OMGWTF's blog post too, interesting write up's filled with the small details that matter and sometimes don't matter at all but make it interesting just the same. :)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Frank, what a room, and that Centennial table is magnificent. I would love to own a table as beautiful as your Centennial table. You must have spent a life time setting up that room and it shows your class and dedication that only a true professional like yourself has.

I really enjoy the writing style of OMGWTF has and reading her blogs blows my mind. She's such a beautuful person, both inside and out. You go Melinda.

Billy I.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Couldn't help

Couldn't help

scrolling down the page & reading the section on two-piece cues. That's exactly how I got my first one, a Frank Paradise cue, in '66.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Greg, thanks for posting this thread. I’m very proud of my room. And yes, Mr. Incardona, it has taken me many years to acquire many of the things that you see in my room. Many of the pieces in my room were bought in antique stores to match the time period, and some were custom made. The Centennial table is what set the theme for my room. It is reminiscent of the art deco era that had a lot of chrome and polished aluminum with rounded edges.

I extend and invitation to the regulars here for a friendly game if you ever make a trip to SoCal.

The table is a great playing table and is primarily used for straight pool and one pocket.

Lenny, thanks for the kind words, and yes Melinda’s blog is always interesting to read. She was a pleasure to ride to Vegas with. If I’m not mistaken I think she mentioned that she was putting a one pocket match together with a girl in Texas.

Greg, I would love to take you up on your offer. I will PM you. Thanks, again.

P.S. Cary, I don't think that was one of my cues. I don't think I would have let that cue go like that.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Frank Almanza said:
Greg, thanks for posting this thread. I’m very proud of my room. And yes, Mr. Incardona, it has taken me many years to acquire many of the things that you see in my room. Many of the pieces in my room were bought in antique stores to match the time period, and some were custom made. The Centennial table is what set the theme for my room. It is reminiscent of the art deco era that had a lot of chrome and polished aluminum with rounded edges.

I extend and invitation to the regulars here for a friendly game if you ever make a trip to SoCal.

The table is a great playing table and is primarily used for straight pool and one pocket.

Lenny, thanks for the kind words, and yes Melinda’s blog is always interesting to read. She was a pleasure to ride to Vegas with. If I’m not mistaken I think she mentioned that she was putting a one pocket match together with a girl in Texas.

Greg, I would love to take you up on your offer. I will PM you. Thanks, again.

P.S. Cary, I don't think that was one of my cues. I don't think I would have let that cue go like that.

No, I won it from a guy I knew only as "Greasey". I had no case for it so I kept it behind the counter at Perra's in Key West. A slight misunderstanding with the local constabulary inspired me to hitch hike to Miami one morning and join the Army. As far as I know that stick is still behind the counter. We're all young (18) and foolish once and that is one of many misteaks I hope wouldn't make again.

Edited to add: A very, very nice room Frank. Mine looks more like Perra's--except I don't have a ceiling fan yet.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
took me a while to unblock the popups so i could read the article:eek:
really nice room frank
hope one day to be in california to see it in person