Somebody's selling my book on ebay as a pdf file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Some egg from AZbilliards on the wanted/for sale section of their forum is looking to direct people to his ebay site to sell them my book, Banking With The Beard, along with an E-file of the whole book! He has photocopied every page and is offering my book as a pdf. file where you can view and print my book one page at a time. The idiot thinks that because he purchased the book it is now his right to photocopy it and sell the E-file. I am naturally howling mad and have contacted AZ and ebay.
The guy's forum name is Shinobi. Maybe he is just a goof.

the real Beard

Bank on, brother!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

scotttheshooter

Verified Member
From
Phoenix Area
Ouch!! At Least I Got Your Autorgraph!

Ouch!! At Least I Got Your Autorgraph!

You mean I could have saved a few bucks and called this Shinobi guy.... JUST KIDDING! :D

Although nothing would surprise me anymore - I hope you can stop that guy.

Keep us posted please.

Maybe you could have Guido have a chit chat with Shinobi. Make him an offer he can't refuse ..... JUST KIDDING :eek:

Mike

Verified Member
Wouldn't that be a violation of the copy right laws? It seems to me that you could take legal action against him if he refuses to stop. I would first try to personally contact him to see what he has to say and if it's not resolved I'd see a lawyer.

rfhing

Verified Member
From
Asheville, North Carolina
Flony Offense

Flony Offense

Copyright infringement is a felony offense with a maximum penalty of $100,000 and one year in jail and can be sued in civil court with damages determined by judge or jury. Notify ebay and if any of this has been done via the U.S. Postl Sevice that opens up more doors. I spent $29.95 +s/h on your book and I take umbrge with said alleged felon.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Thanks for the concern

Thanks for the concern

As of now, the situation has been reasonably (I hope) resolved. The E-file has been removed from the auction and the for sale thread has been removed from AZ billiards. You would be amazed at how many people came to this guys aid to give him the benefit of the doubt, and how much heat I got for being "vulgar" and "threatening," and for rushing to judgement. One guy even suggested to the seller to register a complaint against me with ebay, because of my rude, untrusting behavior. I have only one speed and one way to go, and tact was never my long suit. The ramifications of someone getting the E-file and sending it to whomever over the internet and all the recipients could print as many copies of my book as they would wish, was just a little unnerving, and immediately disspelled my ability to speak in subtle tones. My reply to the guy that wanted the seller to turn me in, and said if we went to court, my side of the case would be laughable, was to tell him that I would like to vomit on his chest. Again I showed a definite lack of tact.

the real Beard

After calming down and communicating with the guy, I gave him the benefit of the doubt that all he did was use bad judgement.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Good for you!!

Good for you!!

fred bentivegna said:
As of now, the situation has been reasonably (I hope) resolved. The E-file has been removed from the auction and the for sale thread has been removed from AZ billiards.
Freddie-- I'm glad to hear that you got that piece of s*** stopped! I'm stunned that some believed this stealing was okay to do! That's a sad reflection on the modern American decay. I'm glad to see that you were able to keep your considerable sense of humor through it all.

Doc

Shorty

Verified Member
From
Melbourne, Florida
Freddy,

Just a thought...please don't think I am fanning flames here...but would you consider selling your book via e-publication? Maybe going through someone like ebooks.com or something? I for one would love to be able to see it on a screen and read it wherever...but I would also like to make sure you get the proceeds and royalties from the sell of your book. Once bought, they have measures of protecting to see that it is not freely distributed I do believe. Just something to consider.

I own your book in print already, and am working my way through it at a slow pace.

Just a thought,
Shorty

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
I don't think Shinobi intent was necessairly bad. I tried to warn him that Freddie wouldn't like the pdf though...

Unfortunately for you, Freddie, sending your book to China means 1000's of copies will be made. Up to 80% of brand name goods in China are knock-offs. The Chinese Government actually awards some of these companies for it. Ethics means zero in that part of the world as far as intellectual property goes.

A member here sells dvds of Grady, Kid D, all of Kinisters stuff...and they're still in print. Making $$ off these guys is pretty weak.

Before I sound like an innocent, I must say that I collect billiard tapes and have traded for copies of out-of-print stuff before like Louis Roberts, Cornbread vs Bugs, Johnson City stuff, etc...

Am I a bad guy for acquiring stuff I can't get anywhere else? I started collecting stuff like this because one of my favorite guitar players, Randy Rhoads, toured with Ozzy for 2 years and yet there is not one full length video recording of him. After he died, all his fans were left without any videos of him playing, hardly. I don't feel too bad about collecting tapes that might disappear in the near future.

I don't know if Accu-Stats sells more than one or two videos anymore of guys like Bugs, Cornbread, Hopkins,R. Allen playing in events like the early 90s Legends of One Pocket. Freddies' most recommended tape, Fusco/Rempe playing one pocket is even out of print now.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Not at this time

Not at this time

Shorty said:
Freddy,

Just a thought...please don't think I am fanning flames here...but would you consider selling your book via e-publication? Maybe going through someone like ebooks.com or something? I for one would love to be able to see it on a screen and read it wherever...but I would also like to make sure you get the proceeds and royalties from the sell of your book. Once bought, they have measures of protecting to see that it is not freely distributed I do believe. Just something to consider.

I own your book in print already, and am working my way through it at a slow pace.

Just a thought,
Shorty

No, Shorty. Too many ramifications.

the
Beard

RileysDad

Verified Member
Still offering it!

Still offering it!

Shinobi is not Mrshinobi and is still offering it on ebay as a PDF>!@

Frankie

Freddy scammed

Freddy scammed

Freddy all your life you talk about scamming people how does it feel back at ya ? your deal with China will open the flood gates for knockoff/bootleg copies.

rfhing

Verified Member
From
Asheville, North Carolina
Slow playing and proposition bets are part of gambling; copyright infringement is not. While I enjoyed Mr. Bentivenga's book he does come across as a loutish, condescending asshole ( though I must state I have never met the man or spoken to him) but that is not a felony or any other sort of crime. Copy right infringement is a crime. A felony. He has every right, legal or ethical to raise Hell about it. As for the Chinese that is thier problem not Mr. Bentivenga's, though he will lose some $ but that is a large market..

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
:You are probably on the wrong site, pal

:You are probably on the wrong site, pal

Frankie said:
Freddy all your life you talk about scamming people how does it feel back at ya ? your deal with China will open the flood gates for knockoff/bootleg copies.

Frankie,
I think you accidentally landed on the wrong site. This site is for players only.
This might be more to your taste.
www.patrobertson.com

the Beard

Pray on, brother!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
lout-ish, adj. clumsy and stupid.

lout-ish, adj. clumsy and stupid.

rfhing said:
Slow playing and proposition bets are part of gambling; copyright infringement is not. While I enjoyed Mr. Bentivenga's book he does come across as a loutish, condescending asshole ( though I must state I have never met the man or spoken to him) but that is not a felony or any other sort of crime. Copy right infringement is a crime. A felony. He has every right, legal or ethical to raise Hell about it. As for the Chinese that is thier problem not Mr. Bentivenga's, though he will lose some $ but that is a large market..

I'm glad you enjoyed the book. The name is spelled Bentivegna, not Bentivenga. "Condescending," I would have to agree with. "Clumsy and stupid," doesn't quite fit with my IQ. As for "asshole," you would need a player's union card to be qualified to call me that. Have you ever done anything or been anywhere worthwhile? There is an alternate definition of "loutish," it's also defined as, rude. Calling someone you never met or don't know, an asshole, probably qualifies you a lot more than me.

the Beard

Bank on, brother!

Frankie

fred bentivegna said:
Frankie,
I think you accidentally landed on the wrong site. This site is for players only.
www.patrobertson.com

the Beard

Pray on, brother![/QUOTEFreddie maybe you will grow up someday BUT then maybe not..that is the impression you give to people..you have earned it..

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Try the Billiard Digest forum

Try the Billiard Digest forum

Frankie said:
fred bentivegna said:
Frankie,
www.patrobertson.com

the Beard

Pray on, brother![/QUOTEFreddie maybe you will grow up someday BUT then maybe not..that is the impression you give to people..you have earned it..

Son, you're outta your league taking shots at me. Your attempts at insults are puerile, and I have given you all the ink and attention I am going to.

the Beard

Get a life, brother!

Frankie

Freddie the Whinner

Freddie the Whinner

fred bentivegna said:
Son, you're outta your league taking shots at me. Your attempts at insults are puerile, and I have given you all the ink and attention I am going to.

the Beard

Get a life, brother!
Great Kid now go play some pool.

breakup

Verified Member
Well I’ve been meaning to order one of the books and this recent controversy got me off my butt and I just ordered one through this website.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.