Cornbread Red

scotttheshooter

Verified Member
From
Phoenix Area
In watching an old Accustats tape from the 1991 Legends tournament in which Cornbread Red played Bugs Rucker I was very impressed by Cornbread's One Pocket game. It looked like he was in his mid-50's at the time. He played superbly. He consistently made the banks he should have made, was running balls and made some outstanding moves.

Aside from his legendary gambling exploits, how was the quality of his game measured against the Arties and Ronnie Allens etc etc etc of his day???

That match was one of the most enjoyable matches I have watched lately!

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
When I first watched that match, the impression I got was that these two players were old warriors. What I mean is that they knew what to do on every single shot, without hardly any time needed for thinking. It was as if they have played the game so many times, that they have seen and experienced every possible scenario of the balls and knew how best to play them at all times. They also came to just play. No bullshit, no whining, no talking, just play. Like it was a job to them, and they came to perform it.

Those are my impressions from watching that match that I didn't get from dozens of other accustats 1-pocket matches I have seen.

scotttheshooter

Verified Member
From
Phoenix Area
I Agree Wholeheartedly!

I Agree Wholeheartedly!

iusedtoberich said:
When I first watched that match, the impression I got was that these two players were old warriors. What I mean is that they knew what to do on every single shot, without hardly any time needed for thinking. It was as if they have played the game so many times, that they have seen and experienced every possible scenario of the balls and knew how best to play them at all times. They also came to just play. No bullshit, no whining, no talking, just play. Like it was a job to them, and they came to perform it.

Those are my impressions from watching that match that I didn't get from dozens of other accustats 1-pocket matches I have seen.

Those two guys, especially Red, seemed to know the shots and have the discpline to stay with the plan. That match should be part of the curriculum at Harvard for their upcoming "1P 101" class.