2013 Derby City woofing thread

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Sounds like the line when The Dough boy played amarillo slim one hole at CJ's on the 5x10 4-96 in Dallas.
Whoa, I'd like to hear more about this -- Slim did real well in one of the Jansco tournaments -- maybe at the Stardust. So he could play a little back in the day.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Whoa, I'd like to hear more about this -- Slim did real well in one of the Jansco tournaments -- maybe at the Stardust. So he could play a little back in the day.

I believe he came in 2nd in the One pocket at the Stardust. 70,71 or 72. Whatever year. Same year I beat Eddie Kelly in the winners and losers bracket. :lol (if you dont tell people how would they know? Most of the witnesses are dead)

Beard

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

I remember seeing a 60 minutes piece on him shortly after he won the World Series of Poker. They were interviewing him at his house in TX and he was running balls on his home table and talking. They said he was a former Texas State pool champ. I don't remember him missing a single ball during the interview.[/I]

Don Smith

Verified Member
Slim on Beat List

Slim on Beat List

Fred,

Is Slim on the beat list?

Did you ever play him?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Fred,

Is Slim on the beat list?

Did you ever play him?

Never played. The only time I seen him in a pool room environment was at the Stardust OnePocket tourn in Vegas. He was hopeless to make a game with because he was asking for ridiculous spots. At that time he played pretty decent too.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I remember seeing a 60 minutes piece on him shortly after he won the World Series of Poker. They were interviewing him at his house in TX and he was running balls on his home table and talking. They said he was a former Texas State pool champ. I don't remember him missing a single ball during the interview.[/I]

Petie,

I'm sure you know, they DO edit "60 Minutes" don't you ?..I used to go to Amarillo, quite often, and I got to know Slim VERY well..I used to play him during the '60's..(sometimes at his ranch)...I would tell you how I played him, but you would not believe me..He soon gave up matching up with me, and started staking Andy Olguin..(with no noticable improvment, in "win/loss ratio (Andy is still alive, to verify this !)

If he EVER played any better than 'Shotstop' speed, It was long before the '60's..(or never, much like Mr. Coke's, who's game some people have severely over-rated)...He was always a good guy to me, and put me in hi-$$$$ action, more than once..I'm not saying he may not have stumbled into a good finish at one of the Stardust tournaments, and not being a regular at any of them, I had just never heard of it !

No one was more shocked than I was, upon hearing of his trial (for an unmentionable offense) in the early 2000's which may have led to his serious curtailment of active gambling, and the writing of his autobiography, in the mid-2000's......R.I.P. Slim :)

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Petie,

I'm sure you know, they DO edit "60 Minutes" don't you ?..I used to go to Amarillo, quite often, and I got to know Slim VERY well..I used to play him during the '60's..(sometimes at his ranch)...I would tell you how I played him, but you would not believe me..He soon gave up matching up with me, and started staking Andy Olguin..(with no noticable improvment, in "win/loss ratio (Andy is still alive, to verify this !)

If he EVER played any better than 'Shotstop' speed, It was long before the '60's..(or never, much like Mr. Coke's, who's game some people have severely over-rated)...He was always a good guy to me, and put me in hi-$$$$ action, more than once..I'm not saying he may not have stumbled into a good finish at one of the Stardust tournaments, and not being a regular at any of them, I had just never heard of it !

No one was more shocked than I was, upon hearing of his trial (for an unmentionable offense) in the early 2000's which may have led to his serious curtailment of active gambling, and the writing of his autobiography, in the mid-2000's......R.I.P. Slim :)

I heard slim got his name from the pool community yrs ago, and slim did loose to Daulton, I kinda stayed out of that moment tho preety sure shannon won, and it was probbbbbbbbbbbb bab ly 2-$300 a rattle, but my dad passed that weekend so allot of fuzz, and earl ran the package on mannino, breedloves best man when he married jeanette.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I heard slim got his name from the pool community yrs ago, and slim did loose to Daulton, I kinda stayed out of that moment tho preety sure shannon won, and it was probbbbbbbbbbbb bab ly 2-$300 a rattle, but my dad passed that weekend so allot of fuzz, and earl ran the package on mannino, breedloves best man when he married jeanette.

Bill, wasn't that match with Slim/Shannon, in the mid '90's..Do you remember how they played ?...(and did you mean 'Marino' ?)

Dick

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Slim

Slim

Bill, wasn't that match with Slim/Shannon, in the mid '90's..Do you remember how they played ?...(and did you mean 'Marino' ?)

Dick

Slim got a huge spot from Efren some years back and big $$ went back and forth. I do not know who won but he was around Hard Times, Bellflower for a while.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Dick

Weekend of April 16th for sure....they may have played before as they seemed to know ea other pretty well. I'm guessin' 15-5, you'll have to ask shannon for confirmation.
1996 for sure....I got the call on my dads heart attack during the inagural PCA event that weekend. He was on the seventh green putting and went down, I felt sad for his buddies who put em on the cart and had to take em back to the clubhouse. Heard Bing Crosby went the same way, nice way to go.

Not sure what U mean about Marino....

Ktown

Verified Member
Weekend of April 16th for sure....they may have played before as they seemed to know ea other pretty well. I'm guessin' 15-5, you'll have to ask shannon for confirmation.
1996 for sure....I got the call on my dads heart attack during the inagural PCA event that weekend. He was on the seventh green putting and went down, I felt sad for his buddies who put em on the cart and had to take em back to the clubhouse. Heard Bing Crosby went the same way, nice way to go.

Not sure what U mean about Marino....

I just talked to SD and he couldn't remember if it was 14/5 or 15/5 but did confirm it was the same weekend Earl won the mil. He said they were playing for 10K and it went down to the last ball.

He said he is gonna get on here but him and computers is like me and diets....figure it out.

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Bill,

Your mention of how Shannon and Slim played, should have convinced anyone, of Slim's pool speed..IMO, his one pocket game, was pretty close to that of the 'current Dippy Dave'.. In fact, IMO Dippy would have out moved him. and their game would have been close to even, at the level Slim was playing one pocket in the 60's...I started out giving him 11/6, and had to keep adjusting upward to keep his action, over the several years I played him, every few months or so !...Thats why I could not believe Slim's overall pool game, could have improved enough, to compete (much less finish high) in a tough tournament, by the '70's...He must have caught the "mother of all good draws" and a few key forfeit's...Slim would have been a good candidate for Mr. Coke's famous "8 no-count" scam game !...(with suitable 'odds', of course) ;) :p

As to your other question, I thought maybe you had mis-spelled "Mannino", (Breedlove's best man) and actually meant "Jimmy Marino"...No big deal either way..;)

SJD

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Bill,

Your mention of how Shannon and Slim played, should have convinced anyone, of Slim's pool speed..IMO, his one pocket game, was pretty close to that of the 'current Dippy Dave'.. In fact, IMO Dippy would have out moved him. and their game would have been close to even, at the level Slim was playing one pocket in the 60's...I started out giving him 11/6, and had to keep adjusting upward to keep his action, over the several years I played him, every few months or so !...Thats why I could not believe Slim's overall pool game, could have improved enough, to compete (much less finish high) in a tough tournament, by the '70's...He must have caught the "mother of all good draws" and a few key forfeit's...Slim would have been a good candidate for Mr. Coke's famous "8 no-count" scam game !...(with suitable 'odds', of course) ;) :p

As to your other question, I thought maybe you had mis-spelled "Mannino", (Breedlove's best man) and actually meant "Jimmy Marino"...No big deal either way..;)

SJD

Yep, nick m. and it was an unusual weekend. Before Earl ran the ten plus One, me, Mike and Francinne ran into Earl in the parking lot....he told us how impossible it would be for anyone to win the Million............