Best player defined. IYO

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
What in your opinion would define the best player in any given one pocket competition between any two players under ideal conditions and on neutral ground?
(a) a mammoth ahead race, say 12 ahead, played until the finish, but not longer than 8 hours per day.
(B) play 6 games total, play 3 games a day, and get 3 breaks apiece, going to 50 balls each game for a winner of that game. Most balls aggragate over the 6 games decides the overall winner.
(C) play 12 games per day for 4 consecutive days going to 8. Most total game wins overall decides the winner.
(D) other suggestions as to what you think would define the best player, IYO.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
A or C... definitely not B if you are trying to find out who the best onepocket player is. Under B's format that would take away the end game strategy which is a huge part of one pocket. B would show more or less who can run the most balls. Personally im partial to A

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
(A) and (C) are pretty close to the same in terms of strategy, (B) is an entirely different format which would take the most important part of one pocket strategy away from the competition "playing the score" So the question you asked cannot be answered with option (B) simply because ..playing the score is a large part of deciding who the better players are in today's one pocket.

Hacker says that it would take the end game away from one pocket, yes and no. There would be an end game but not nearly as crucial as in a regular formatted contest. The end game in today's one pocket (A) and (C) will have a much bigger role in deciding who the best players are, where in (B) it will only be worth a few balls, lessening the importance of the end game value for the player that plays it the best.

Format (B) takes too much decision making away from the game to use it as a measuring stick when determining who the best players are..in today's one pocket.

Format (B) is a better contest to decide what format takes the most luck away from the contest, but not who the best one pocket player is because of the reasons I explained above..imo.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Before I ever read any of the answers, I had chosen A and C. I didn't analyze it but I think the analysis given was right on.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I think option C is the best of the three. A long ahead set played continuously brings another facet to the contest which may or may not have much to do with each player's excellence at the play of the game.

Better yet, 12 games a day at several meetings, but not consecutively-- say, every other day, or once per week for several weeks. Not as easy to arrange, but a better gauge of the players' respective abilities. In a short span, a player can simply be "hot".

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
A or C... definitely not B if you are trying to find out who the best onepocket player is. Under B's format that would take away the end game strategy which is a huge part of one pocket. B would show more or less who can run the most balls. Personally im partial to A

Ed Zachery.