Cole Dickson Memorial Tournament

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
There will be a $4,000 added memorial 9 ball tournament at Family Billiards in San Francisco June 29/30.

$50 entry fee, Double elimination 9/7

Contact Family Billiards for more information (415) 931-1115

thebaby

Verified Member
Helping the family....

Helping the family....

As you all may know by now. There having a Memorial Tournament for Cole Dickson June 29-30 in San Francisco at Family Billiards. They are adding $4,000 + ,it will be a open 9-ball tournament. PLAY THE GAME CLOTHING CO. is designing a memorial T-Shirt for this event in honor of Cole Dickson's Life. Part of the proceeds will be going to Cole's family. In about 6 Days we will be showcasing this memorial T-Shirt here on facebook, all the billiard forums, and anywhere pool is played. Sometimes it's not always about the money. We at PLAY THE GAME CLOTHING CO. are trying to show the billiard community and the public that this sport is no different then any other. One of our goals when we started this billiard apparel clothing co. was to do our part in raising the image of the game. This is what separates us from other billiard apparel lines out there. We are determined to be #1 in the billiard apparel business. We need your help in spreading the word about what were trying to do here. Our pool base is large enough to where I believe this project were taking on here will make a difference. We want you to share this message with your pool room ,and all your friends who may not of known him, or maybe just want to be a part of this , and want to help. The shirt will also be displayed in our store at www.playthegameclothing.com REMEMBER IN 6 DAYS WE WILL MAKE IT AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE. Thank-you for reading this ,and thank-you for your help. PLAY THE GAME clothing family.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There will be a $4,000 added memorial 9 ball tournament at Family Billiards in San Francisco June 29/30.

$50 entry fee, Double elimination 9/7

Contact Family Billiards for more information (415) 931-1115

That's great news John. Will this be an annual event? Cole is from the San Francisco area and I know how well liked he is all through California, I wish I lived out there so I could play in the tournament. I'm sure his daughters Christine and Lori are happy to hear that there will be an event in memory of their father.

Dr. Bill

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
That's great news John. Will this be an annual event? Cole is from the San Francisco area and I know how well liked he is all through California, I wish I lived out there so I could play in the tournament. I'm sure his daughters Christine and Lori are happy to hear that there will be an event in memory of their father.

Dr. Bill

Delbert Wong, the owner of Family Billiards has been a good and loyal friend of Cole's for a long time. I imagine this would be an annual event if we get a decent turnout.

For some reason, even the added money events in San Francisco have some trouble drawing players. Rooms are expensive and that might be part of it.

There is a big tournament 30 miles away in Mountain View at California Billiards starting on July 3rd, three days after this tournament, that has $4,000 added to the one pocket and $10,000 added to the ten ball. This will draw some top players that will hopefully come early for the memorial tournament at Family Billiards.

There will be information on all these tournaments in the June issue of Cue Sports Journal and I will publish the link to read the paper on here when it is published the first week of June.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
John, I always felt that the pool community in S.F. was spoiled. There were so many events to choose from, that the turnout for any specific event tended to be low. And they're all cheapskates!;) A $4000 added event for only $50 should have guys lined up around the corner. And gambling was practically non-existent.

Add to the pluses, Family Billiards is a nice room, and Delbert has been very good for pool for many years.

As far as hotel rooms: when I'd come down from Eureka for an event, I'd generally stay south of town on the Peninsula towards the airport. There are so many motels and hotels that it was usually easy to find one fairly reasonable.

Hope y'all have a great event!

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John, I always felt that the pool community in S.F. was spoiled. There were so many events to choose from, that the turnout for any specific event tended to be low. And they're all cheapskates!;) A $4000 added event for only $50 should have guys lined up around the corner. And gambling was practically non-existent.

Add to the pluses, Family Billiards is a nice room, and Delbert has been very good for pool for many years.

As far as hotel rooms: when I'd come down from Eureka for an event, I'd generally stay south of town on the Peninsula towards the airport. There are so many motels and hotels that it was usually easy to find one fairly reasonable.

Hope y'all have a great event!

Doc

There are only a couple of pool rooms left in San Francisco Doc. Family and Billiard Palacade, a Hispanic room that has some tournaments and a little action. Nice folks running it and no trouble there.

When I go, I stay at a motel in Chinatown about five minutes from Family. Old and clean with reasonable rates and a guard in the parking area.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I never thought about staying in Chinatown. Good idea, although I'd still carry some heat with you... When I used to come to S.F. they had The Great Entertainer, Family, Bachman's joint, and that place that took over from Cochran's (can't think of the name-- guess it's closed now). They seemed to have tournaments somewhere every night of the week. But about gambling, I used to joke that people would come from 9 counties to watch two guys racing to 11 for $50...:D

Doc

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Yeah, there used to be several places to play around SF. Bachman's place was called Chalkers. The place that used to be Cochrans was known as Hollywood Billiards and owned by Annigonni in the 90's. Both closed down. Chalkers when the dot com bubble burst which slashed a lot of their business and after they raised rates to 12 bucks per hr per person. Hollywood had a shooting in there or near there or something and they closed shortly after that. There's a Jillians but that place is more like a bar/restaurant with GCs to get people to stick around and spend more. I've never seen any good action up here.

I never thought about staying in Chinatown. Good idea, although I'd still carry some heat with you... When I used to come to S.F. they had The Great Entertainer, Family, Bachman's joint, and that place that took over from Cochran's (can't think of the name-- guess it's closed now). They seemed to have tournaments somewhere every night of the week. But about gambling, I used to joke that people would come from 9 counties to watch two guys racing to 11 for $50...:D

Doc

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
T. Annigoni....

T. Annigoni....

.....used to steer my friend around town for awhile in the early 90's I think it was,but they made no money to speak of whether they played at his place or somewhere else.