E. Reyes vs. S.V.B. 2012 D.C.C.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Bill, that shot would work nicely if you were sure to carom off the top of the 6 ball, but if you're going straight into the 6 ball you could possibly sell out the 6. You seem to have an excellent understanding of the game as evidenced in your shot selections. Lets say that you're laying where your shot is "iffy" because of the angle going into the 6 ball, there's another shot that I think is worth shooting, i'll explain. By rolling into the 13 ball and split hit the 13 and caroming into the 11 ball you get a lot done. First the possible combination that may have been lined up for your opponent is now not available, secondly the 13 and more predictably the 11 ball should drop near the bottom rail and represent what I refer to as a blocking ball. The cue ball will carom off the 13 and 11 ball and then go to the side rail and finally drop softly to the bottom rail in back of the moved 11 ball. From that position your opponent doesn't figure to have any thing good, so he'll look to roll on something. And then from there you can get creative, or even take an intentional if you have to, but the balls will certainly be laying well for you, most likely giving you options.

Dr. Bill

Im sorry I dont understand what Bill is saying? could someone diagram his shot. Thanks Keith

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
bill correct me if this is not it
but keith i think this is the shot dr. bill is referring to
View attachment 6518

Larry if this is the shot then I would be very happy being in this position and oweing 1 ball. In this position Im no longert in serious trouble. Depending exactly where the balls come to rest I believe I have many options. Its a much improved position campared to where I was prior to taking the intentional foul. Thanks for putting this up for us. Keith

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry if this is the shot then I would be very happy being in this position and oweing 1 ball. In this position Im no longert in serious trouble. Depending exactly where the balls come to rest I believe I have many options. Its a much improved position campared to where I was prior to taking the intentional foul. Thanks for putting this up for us. Keith

no problem:)
if it leaves us "improved" it might not be what dr. bill was talking about..:eek:..:D

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
bill correct me if this is not it
but keith i think this is the shot dr. bill is referring to
View attachment 6518

Thanks Larry that's exactly the shot I was referring to. That shot can work out good or even great, depending on where the 11 ball ends up in relation to the cue ball. It's possible for both the 11 and cue balls to end up very close to one another where the 11 ball will be blocking every thing on Reyes side of the table.:eek:

If the intentional is taken by Shane then Reyes needs to counter with something effective (knowing Reyes) I wouldn't put it past Reyes to kick into the 1 ball and send the 1 ball toward the 14 ball and cue ball into the stack area. We have seen him shoot that shot before as well. But the point is that there are 3 possible good answers not counting shooting the 1 ball and 14 ball combination which would be 4 answers to the intentional. If i'm correct then the intentional isn't the best option at this point.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
no problem:)
if it leaves us "improved" it might not be what dr. bill was talking about..:eek:..:D

Larry, just because a shot result leaves the next shooter (A) in a better position than he was in before shooter(A) took his intentional doesn't mean that the option that shooter B chose was wrong. Quite often options are chosen that are the right ones but don't necessarily work out right. Then there are other times when the control of an option is difficult to determine exactly where the balls will end up, but you know from experience that they should end up "a high percentage of the time" in your favor, but don't.:( The game is played "live" on a pool table, not from our computers. If it was then there would be many world champions ...right here on this site...:D

Dr. Bill

senor

Verified Member
I would shoot the 11 into the 7, banking the 7 back towards my side...the 7 could skim the 4 ball on the way out or could skim the 4 on the way back in or most likely would collide with the 11 again. I would play the cue ball 2/3 rails near the end rail oppo's pocket, doubling him up.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I would shoot the 11 into the 7, banking the 7 back towards my side...the 7 could skim the 4 ball on the way out or could skim the 4 on the way back in or most likely would collide with the 11 again. I would play the cue ball 2/3 rails near the end rail oppo's pocket, doubling him up.

Good Eye.
I like it .
Rod.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Your shot has a certain appeal to it, looks to be dooable and the design of the shot is sound, providing it's hit well. Thanks for the shot.

Dr. Bill

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ

As I said before I personally like the intentional foul but of all the offensive shots suggested I like your shot a lot. Keith

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

That might pop the 2 ball out if the 7 gets too much 4 ball, for a sell out.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Larry and Keith...trust me that intentional is no good, if, you're playing someone who knows how to respond to your shot...

vapros was on the right track re. one of my two responses, but not quite...

If you played your intentional on me...

I will either shoot into the 5-9, (but with no intention of crossing over the 6 as vapros said) - I will be shooting softly straight ahead, just slightly cutting the 5 to the right, with the cueball and rolling up against the 15ball -- the 2ball now snookering you from the 13 and the 9ball - which is now in front of my pocket...

...Or I will take an intentional back at you, by banking the cueball off of Shane's long rail, just in front of the side pocket, and ending up with the cueball frozen on the backside of the rack - leaving you in a worse position/with far less options then you had before.

- Ghost

PS, There's one good shot that I see that hasn't been mentioned....although the shot isn't for everyone, because the kicking knowledge/execution have to be at a very high level....but if hit well, it will probably have the best/safest result of any of the options....the shot is to kick softly off of the foot rail into the bottom of the 10ball, cutting it very slightly backwards, approx. towards the 8ball - the 10ball then ending up in the bottom of the stack, and the cueball glancing off the 10 and ending up on the long rail approx. 1/2 to 1 diamond above Efren's pocket.

PPS, This is the kind of shot that Efren would probably choose, if he was shooting - and he would most likely hit it perfect.

Last edited:

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Larry and Keith...trust me that intentional is no good, if, you're playing someone who knows how to respond to your shot...

vapros was on the right track re. one of my two responses, but not quite...

If you played your intentional on me...

I will either shoot into the 5-9, (but with no intention of crossing over the 6 as vapros said) - I will be shooting softly straight ahead, just slightly cutting the 5 to the right, with the cueball and rolling up against the 15ball -- the 2ball now snookering you from the 13 and the 9ball - which is now in front of my pocket...

...Or I will take an intentional back at you, by banking the cueball off of Shane's long rail, just in front of the side pocket, and ending up with the cueball frozen on the backside of the rack - leaving you in a worse position/with far less options then you had before.

- Ghost

PS, There's one good shot that I see that hasn't been mentioned....although the shot isn't for everyone, because the kicking knowledge/execution have to be at a very high level....but if hit well, it will probably have the best/safest result of any of the options....the shot is to kick softly off of the foot rail into the bottom of the 10ball, cutting it very slightly backwards, approx. towards the 8ball - the 10ball then ending up in the bottom of the stack, and the cueball glancing off the 10 and ending up on the long rail approx. 1/2 to 1 diamond above Efren's pocket.

PPS, This is the kind of shot that Efren would probably choose, if he was shooting - and he would most likely hit it perfect.

Luke just a couple of comments. If I knew you would respond to the intentional by trying to play off the 5 ball I would be alright with that. Playing from the top rail and having to execute that delicate thin hit at that soft speed would not be as easy as you make it out to be. I might wind up in a fairly good position if you didnt execute precisely. On the other hand if you did hit it perfectly I would be in big trouble but Im in a lot of trouble before I shoot the intentional and at least I have a chance of improving my position if you played that shot.

Your 2nd response to the intentional I think is a better solution and its probably how I would respond. There are shots from the stack but clearly I would be in big trouble.

The kick into the 10 ball is a terrific shot. I just wouldnt "bet the game" on that kick, its way to difficult for me and I beleive for almost every member of this forum. I think Dennis specifically asked for what would "we"do in this position. If you can kick with the precision to hit the exact spot on the 10 ball to make the cue ball carom off the 10 over to a safe spot on the side rail then I must take my hat off to you. Keith

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Luke just a couple of comments. If I knew you would respond to the intentional by trying to play off the 5 ball I would be alright with that. Playing from the top rail and having to execute that delicate thin hit at that soft speed would not be as easy as you make it out to be.

Keith...First off, the shot is not a delicate hit that has to be hit perfectly, as your words that I've bolded/underlined say - and it's not a thin hit either - read my post again - it's a very full hit on the 5, just left of center, and with margin for error....I've rolled at balls like that 5ball many, many times from down by the head rail - as long as the table rolls straight, it's an easy hit to make.

I might wind up in a fairly good position if you didnt execute precisely. On the
other hand if you did hit it perfectly I would be in big trouble but Im in a lot of trouble before I shoot the intentional and at least I have a chance of improving my position if you played that shot.

Your 2nd response to the intentional I think is a better solution and its probably how I would respond. There are shots from the stack but clearly I would be in big trouble.

The kick into the 10 ball is a terrific shot. I just wouldnt "bet the game" on that kick, its way to difficult for me and I beleive for almost every member of this forum. I think Dennis specifically asked for what would "we"do in this position. If you can kick with the precision to hit the exact spot on the 10 ball to make the cue ball carom off the 10 over to a safe spot on the side rail then I must take my hat off to you. Keith

Keith, I might or might not choose to shoot this kick, I'd have to be at the table and see how my kicking-visualization felt at the time....and also, it's not an "exact" spot on the 10 that must be hit - anywhere on the 'Efren's pocket side' of the bottom of the ball works/gets safely past the 13ball - no matter how thin you hit it, you can't sell out the 14....you just can't miss the ball altogether, or hit it so full that the cueball stops dead in it's tracks and sells out the 13.

- Ghost