Spots

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I have a serious question that will no doubt expose my inexperience in this matter. Which is the greater spot: 9-6 or 11-7?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Straight; You started my day off with a chuckle, about the chart on the phone! :lol

I must REALLY be "Old School!" Good idea though.

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
you mean you're not suppose to play even all the time? I keep playing better players even. If I lose a little money it is a cheap lesson... If I break even then I'm winning... If I win money I feel like a champ lol

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
If you're are receiving the spot 9/6 is better. If you're giving 11/7 is better.
Rod.

This is what I found out. I just wanted to hear if others felt the same way. I thought maybe it was just because it was a different day or I had already broken my player's heart. It really was easier for me to win giving 11/7 than 9/6.

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
This is what I found out. I just wanted to hear if others felt the same way. I thought maybe it was just because it was a different day or I had already broken my player's heart. It really was easier for me to win giving 11/7 than 9/6.

Yeah, if you are better than the other player by more than a 1 or 2 ball spot, then it's not a big deal for you to get 2 more balls compared to them getting 1 more ball. Usually it would be a struggle for them to get to 6 and 7 would be even slightly more out of reach. Experience and knowledge play a big role too. I'm not the type of player to try to get 1 or 2 and play safe, I like to run balls so I would rather make the game longer and favor me :D

thebaby

Verified Member
Do The Math.

Do The Math.

Wouldn't you want the weaker player your playing to go further ? You are going to have a easier time getting to the number then he is. And to top it off ,less pressure on you. Basically same thing as WHATCHAMACALLIT said.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
6 vs 9 is 66.6% or a 33.3% spot

7 vs 11 is 63.6% or a 36.4% spot

That's all you need to know, isn't it?:confused::confused:

Well you had a couple of people explain it. (androd & baby) yet you want to use some mathematical equation.
That's evidently all you need to know ! (although you're wrong).
No one is as blind as those that wont see. :frus
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
6 vs 9 is 66.6% or a 33.3% spot

7 vs 11 is 63.6% or a 36.4% spot

That's all you need to know, isn't it?:confused::confused:

11/7 in terms of money odds in comparison to 9/6 is

11/7 plus 1.57/1.00
9/6 plus 1.50/100
Based off of the money odds..11/7 is better for the player receiving the weight.

I believe that 11/7 is slightly more weight to give than 9/6, but we have strong opposition with Rodney siding with 9/6 as the bigger spot.

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

11/7 plus 1.57/1.00
9/6 plus 1.50/100
Based off of the money odds..11/7 is better for the player receiving the weight.

I believe that 11/7 is slightly more weight to give than 9/6, but we have strong opposition with Rodney siding with 9/6 as the bigger spot.

Dr. Bill

I think they must be awfully close.

Bill, do you think there's significance one way or the other with: two balls spotted w/11-7 that the better player might better judge how to take advantage of, and; two balls on the table when the 9-6 score gets to 8-5?

Cory in dc

Verified Member

11/7 plus 1.57/1.00
9/6 plus 1.50/100

Dr. Bill

The thing is, I run 5 or 6 balls pretty often. Somehow, getting balls 7 and 8 in a single run is disproportionately harder for me. That's probably because I have the skill to pick up loose balls (not every time, but often). However, balls 7 and 8 often require a precise breakout, tight inside shape, etc., giving me more chances to screw up. I'll take 9-6, please.

Also, suppose you get just one ball early in the game. Then the two scenarios are 9-5 vs. 11-6. That's 1.8 vs. 1.83, essentially equalized. Now suppose you get two balls in. That's 9-4 vs. 11-5, or 2.25 vs. 2.2, your advantage. If both sides have made 4, it's 5-2 vs. 6-3. Basically, with 9-6, every ball I make does more to increase the pressure on the other guy. I like that.

Another factor is that with 9-6, you're playing a short rack with no chance of 1-ball one pocket. I'm not as certain on this, but I think that also works to the advantage of the one getting the spot.

Cory

SJDinPHX

Suspended

11/7 plus 1.57/1.00
9/6 plus 1.50/100

Dr. Bill

Bill, like you and Rod, I have rarely, if ever, been the recipient of that much weight.. However I have certainly given up those spots on many occasions...From my point of view, the opponent, and sometimes even the equipment, can make a world of difference...For instance, there are some players I would prefer to give up the
9/6 game, over the 11/7 game..and in SOME situations, the opposite may be true. (but hardcore game-maker that I am, I'd probably play either way :eek:)

Think about that for a minute..Your opponents ball running and shot making skills, and his overall knowledge of one pocket, can make a world of difference in whether you are stealing, or have a VERY tough game....I agree, 11/7 appears to be slightly more weight, than 9/6.. but against certain players, it could very well be exactly the opposite !... (been there, done that) :rolleyes:

PS..As promised, nothing controversial,....just stating my opinion. :cool:

Last edited:

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
....I agree, 11/7 appears to be slightly more weight, than 9/6.. but against certain players, it could very well be exactly the opposite !... (been there, done that) :rolleyes:

I think The Beard would have agreed with you on this one. :rolleyes:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
There is a chart here on OnePocket.org here: http://www.onepocket.org/handicaps.htm

However, please note that chart is based solely on the mathematical differentials, without consideration for longer counts in general tending to favor the better players and shorter counts giving the weaker players more of a chance for a quick strike.

My own opinion is that one of the big reasons stronger players prevail in longer games despite seemingly overwhelming handicaps is that weaker players are so much more likely to scratch accidentally. You can't really factor that into a handicap, but it is a killer for weaker players.